Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Canon iPF6300  (Read 10602 times)

sc_john

Canon iPF6300
« on: May 24, 2010, 10:42:34 am »

I am considering a Canon iPF 6300 as replacement for my retired Epson 7600. I will be running on Mac OS X 10.6.3. I have also considered an Epson 7900, but pricing and somewhat smaller physical size of Canon are enticing. I've read Scott Martin's review which indicates comparable performance on 6300 and 7900 (with slightly different gamut). Anyone who has been using 6300 have comments/thoughts on their experience with the printer? Thanks.

John

Rob Reiter

• The LightRoom
Canon iPF6300
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2010, 12:24:26 pm »

I've had my 8300 for a month now, and used an 8100 for two years prior, and Epson 9600 and 9800 prints before that.

I think the Canon x300 printers are an exceptional bargain. Let me say at the start that I believe image quality of the comparable Epson and Canon printers is top notch with only minor gamut differences. It's an odd time to be buying a printer because raw image quality is almost last on the list of features to compare. Operationally, I think the Canon beats the Epson in just about every way; they're fast, virtually no head clogging issues, even less ink wastage in the x300 series than the x100 printers, no ink waste at all when switching from matte black to photo black. Both printers hand rolls and sheets easily, although the straight-through paper path of the Epson and higher head height makes running metal substrates possible.

One big difference in Canon's favor is the print plug-in module that is accessed from Photoshop's Export menu. It's dead simple to use and has no issues with any version of the Mac OS (I'm using OS X 10.6.3.) Currently, it won't work with Photoshop CS5 in 64 bit mode (you have to run PS in 32 bit mode) but Canon says the re-write of the plug-in is in the works.

I run my printers in a commercial, fine art environment and couldn't be happier. The x300 line does have improved gamut and noticeably better scratch resistance. Even the x100 ink was less prone to flaking than Ultrachrome ink.

My experience backs up what I read in Scott Martin's review. I think you won't regret it if you go for the 6300.

Rob
http://www.lightroom.com Fine art printi

tbonanno

• Tony Bonanno Photography, LLC
Canon iPF6300
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2010, 01:35:51 pm »

I've had a 6300 for about a month (a replacement for my 6100).  With the current rebate/promotion, it was no-brainer.  I'm very pleased with the unit.  I switched my "roll feed LF" printers from Epson to Canon about 4 years ago with no regrets.  Based on the reliability and economy I experienced with the earlier Canon's, I had no reservations about getting the 6300.  I have found the improvements/changes to be subtle, but worthwhile.  The new menu/user interface is an improvement.  The print quality is excellent with both color and B&W to my eye, although I haven't had time to do any serious side by side pixel peeping with prints off the 6100 (which I no longer have).  I don't think you can go wrong with the Canon 6300.  You've probably read the review by Scott Martin which I found to be pretty much right on.

One of my colleagues also received a 6300 about the same time as I did.  We've run some tests to see how consistent the two units were with the same files and settings.  They were VERY consistent in the color and quality of output.  The Auto Calibration routine needs to be run during setup, which is not the same as the head alignment/adjustment routine which the printer does on its own as soon as the inks are loaded.  You have to manually run the Calibration routine.  This is not mentioned in the setup, but is very important.

I had the 6100 for over two years and was very pleased with it.  Never had to replace a print head and it was refreshing not to have to spend a lot of time cleaning nozzle clogs, etc. as I did with my previous printers.  I'm confident I'm going to be even more pleased with the 6300.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2010, 01:38:17 pm by tbonanno »
Tony Bonanno Photography
ASMP Profession

sc_john

Canon iPF6300
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2010, 07:45:18 am »

Rob & tbonanno,

Thanks for your responses. I think there is an iPF6300 in my future.

John

John Hollenberg

Canon iPF6300
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2010, 11:06:49 pm »

Quote from: sc_john
Thanks for your responses. I think there is an iPF6300 in my future.

If you decide to get one, join us at the Canon iPF Wiki for information, discussion forum, etc:

http://canonipf.wikispaces.com

natas

Canon iPF6300
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2010, 11:39:54 pm »

Quote from: sc_john
I am considering a Canon iPF 6300 as replacement for my retired Epson 7600. I will be running on Mac OS X 10.6.3. I have also considered an Epson 7900, but pricing and somewhat smaller physical size of Canon are enticing. I've read Scott Martin's review which indicates comparable performance on 6300 and 7900 (with slightly different gamut). Anyone who has been using 6300 have comments/thoughts on their experience with the printer? Thanks.

John

I had the same problem as you. I ended up with the epson because I trust epson (had bad experience with HP). There is a huge rebate on the 7900 right now which takes price down a bit.

The way this machine handles roll paper and how it cuts is a huge deal for me. I change papers all the time and it only takes me about 2 minutes to do so.

Either way you can't go wrong. I have heard lots of good things about the canon you are considering. Good luck on your choice!

JohnHeerema

• Dr. John Heerema
    • http://www.heerema.ca
Canon iPF6300
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2010, 12:20:15 pm »

Like you, I am purchasing a new wide format printer, and am gravitating to the Canon IPF 6300.

I wonder if anyone who has used manual paper feed on both the Epson 7900/9900 and the Canon IPF 6300/8300 can comment on how they compare on sheet media handling? One person commented here that he found the manual paper feed on the IPF 6300 to be a bit tricky to use.

I use Epson Exhibition Fibre quite a bit in my printing, and it only comes in sheet form. And to tell the truth, even though sheet media tends to be more expensive than roll media, I get tired of uncurling prints - I like having my prints be naturally flat.

Also, I'm finding that although the Canadian and US prices are quite similar for the Epson, the Canon prices are significantly higher in Canada than in the US. Does anyone know of a Canadian dealer with prices more comparable to the US prices?

Thanks for any thoughts!

mcmorrison

Canon iPF6300
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2010, 11:19:50 am »

Hello,

What experience have 6300 users had with roll cutting? Will it cut heavy papers like Hahnemuhle Photo Rag 308? Canvas? Does it have the same "rolling start" to the cut, where the first inch or so is crooked as the other iPF models?

Thanks!

Michael

Rob Reiter

• The LightRoom
Canon iPF6300
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2010, 02:10:06 pm »

Quote from: mcmorrison
Hello,

What experience have 6300 users had with roll cutting? Will it cut heavy papers like Hahnemuhle Photo Rag 308? Canvas? Does it have the same "rolling start" to the cut, where the first inch or so is crooked as the other iPF models?

Thanks!

Michael

I can cut all 300 gsm papers with my 8300 without problem. It will cut Breathing Color canvas, but I choose to cut it manually to reduce dust inside the printer. Neither my 8300 0r my 8100 before it has produced a crooked cut on any material.

Rob
http://www.lightroom.com Fine art printi

tashley

Canon iPF6300
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2010, 02:26:57 pm »

Quote from: Rob Reiter
I can cut all 300 gsm papers with my 8300 without problem. It will cut Breathing Color canvas, but I choose to cut it manually to reduce dust inside the printer. Neither my 8300 0r my 8100 before it has produced a crooked cut on any material.

Rob

I've only had mine for a few days, it replaces a Z3100 which I loved but which was getting prone to breakdown. The Canon requires a lot more thought and effort when it comes to ICC profiles and, for example, the Crane Museo Silver Rag profile I got from Crane's site won't install because it was written for the 8300 so Crane are doing a new version. Also setting up custom paper types is a little cumbersome and not all that well documented IMHO

But... I love it. It feels well built, paper load and cut are a doddle, and I have been using my back-stock of HP Textured Fine Art paper, which is a slightly lighter version of Hanny German Etching and a lovely paper. The surface of the prints is less prone to scuffing that those made on the Z3100 and the prints look so lovely that the lady at my framers was just sighing over them. I can't emphasise enough that people should try this paper on the printer for fine art shots, esecially romantic or moody shots.

All in all I so far feel I've made a great choice. Reliability will be the real test though. I will report back when I have tried a wider range of papers.

Good luck!

Tim
« Last Edit: July 19, 2010, 02:28:15 pm by tashley »

shewhorn

• http://
Canon iPF6300
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2010, 02:18:20 pm »

Quote from: mcmorrison
Hello,

Thanks!

Michael

I have an 8300 (very similar) and just put some Hahnemuhle German Etching through it which is 350 gsm. Crane Museo Silver Rag is also a particularly porky paper. No problems with the cut. Re: the cut... I've noticed this on my ipf6100. Haven't really noticed it on the 8300 but I haven't really looked for it either as I don't really do a lot of full bleed printing. As I'm printing for stuff to either be framed or mounted, I'm almost always printing with a bit of a border around the image.

Cheers, Joe
Pages: [1]   Go Up