Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: That Damn Volcano - Shots from iceland  (Read 2733 times)

Marlyn

That Damn Volcano - Shots from iceland
« on: May 23, 2010, 09:29:17 pm »

Hi Folks,

Here are some shots I made during the recent photography trip to Iceland, with Seth Resnick, Ragnar Th Sigurdsson, and the Focus on Nature tour company.
The trip was excellent from start to finish, even with the trouble getting there initially.  (42 hours from home in Sydney,  to hotel in Iceland, not counting a day driving from Akureyri to Rekjavik).  

If anyone would like any further info, such as what I took, worked, didn't etc, let me know and I'll expand on it.

Selection of images I like from the trip.  

Eyjafjallajökull at Night, 300mm
[attachment=22168:20100502...118262_M.jpg]

Goðafoss Waterfall
[attachment=22158:20100426...106158_M.jpg]

Grass growing through Volcanic Ash/Sand
[attachment=22159:20100430...107418_M.jpg]

Glacial Ice on the Beach
[attachment=22160:20100430_mf_107738.jpg]

Glacial Ice on the Beach
[attachment=22162:20100430_mf_107744.jpg]

Glacial Ice on the Beach
[attachment=22163:20100430...107953_M.jpg]

Jokulsarlon Glacier Lagoon
[attachment=22164:20100430...117584_M.jpg]

Ash plume, above the volcano (Taken from the air)
[attachment=22165:20100501_mf_117939.jpg]

Ash plume, above the volcano (Taken from the air)
[attachment=22166:20100501_mf_117945.jpg]

Eyjafjallajökull at Night
[attachment=22167:20100502...108381_M.jpg]

Full Moon, Iceland.
[attachment=22169:20100502_mf_118276.jpg]

Eyjafjallajökull panorama, during the day
[attachment=22170:20100504...109564_M.jpg]

Enjoy !

Regards

Mark Farnan
www.markfarnan.com
« Last Edit: May 23, 2010, 09:30:41 pm by Marlyn »

Josh-H

• Wild Nature Photo Travel
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2010, 09:44:48 pm »

Hi Mark,

Glad to hear you made it there and back. Some great shots there.

I am heading over very soon from Melbourne and very keen to hear about what worked and what didnt and also what you took and how you got on with the airlines and carry on luggage weight.

Cheers,
« Last Edit: May 23, 2010, 09:46:41 pm by Josh-H »
Wild Nature Photo Travel

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2010, 03:57:16 am »

Nice! Like Josh, I'd be interested to hear more about your experiences with the kit you used.

Jeremy

Marlyn

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2010, 07:47:06 am »

Sure,

Here is a breif list of what I took, and what worked and didn't, and some ramble

Camera gear.

Gitzo 3450LS Tripod
BH-55 Ballhead

Canon S90

Canon 1DsIII
5D mk II
16-35 f2.8 USM II
24-105 f4 IS USM
70-200 f2.8 IS US
300 f2.8 IS USM

24mm TS-E  II
90mm TS-E

1.4x II teleconverter
2x II teleconverter

580ex Flash and Better beamer

Optech Rainsleeves.

Epson P7000 Download
Nexto-DI Downloader
about 1TB of hard disks
PC laptop
Sensor Scope (but I forgot Arctic Butterfly, luckliy I could borrow some)

Chargers and Cables for the lot.

All fitted into a ThinKTank Airport Acceleration,  and a small laptop bag for carry on,  cepth tripod and cables etc which went in checked.

Things I wish I had.
- 45mm TS-E
- Gitzo Leveling plate for my Gitzo (Since bought one).  I've tried a number of other solutions, and wish I had just gotten the gizto one the first time.
- remote trigger (ST-E2 or pocket wizard) for flash (for shooting the glacier beach Ice at the Lagoon) and maybe second flash.
- ND grad filters that fitted the 82mm Lenses.  (Didn't take Lee's with me, wish I had)

Things I didn't use or didn't work.
- Flash, as I didn't have remote trigger, no better beamer (didn't do any wildlife or birds this trip)
- 1.4 extender didn't get a single frame, was always the 2.0x
- Optex rain sleeves. I used them, but they are a pain in the neck, don't fit conviniently on Pro SLR, pain to get on.   Others were using the 'Stormjacket',  I tried one, MUCh better for a rain cover. Goes on the shopping list.
- S90,  I think it took 2 frames at a dinner at end, thats it.   I'll still carry it, but this trip, the big brother cameas got all the work.

Things that got the MOST use, sometimes unexpectedly.
- 300mm 2.8. nearly didn't take this, very glad I did.  Got extensive use and some good shots.
- 70-200 2.8.  Easily most used lens.  Love this piece of glass
- Two bodies.  I'm sold.  I borrwed a 5DmkII for trip and I'll definatly be getting a 2nd body for carry and shooting. Much nicer than changing lenses.  That said, i won't be getting a 5d mk II. Just didn't like the interface (even though I own a 5D).  Think I'm used to the mkIII too much and prefer that.

Of the nearly 6000 frames I shot,   approx 2500 were taken with the 70-200, and 1500 with the 300mm

Notes:

A vast majority of the trip was shot hand held. this is very unusual for me and not at all my normal shooting style. (I am normally a "Tripod, Mirror lockup, timer, etc etc" shooter).  Probably the main thing I learnt walking around with Seth was just what can be done with a good lens, IS and handholding.   The vast majority of good shots from the trip, even at slower shutters and long lens, was hand held.

Everything at night was obviously on a tripod. Shooting the volcano was between 6 and 30 seconds, wide open as a rule.

Focusing on the volcano sucked royally.  Tried live view, thought that worked, but actually it didn't. Not accurate enough.  Focusing the 300 on infinity also didnt' cut it.  Eventually we (the group), used some distant bright lights on a house to focus, and then switched back to the volcano. This resulted in sharp shots, wide open.

While I was there, I bought spikes for tripod feet, rather than the rubber ones, and these were excellent. Definatly better for perching the tripod in some odd places around waterfalls.

Other Gear.

Clothes.

Good lightweight, high ankle hiking boots (Scarpa ZTX),
Kahtoola Microspikes
Sea-to-Summit gatters.
Gortex Trousers, over 2 pairs of thermal pants
Gortex Jacket, over Northface fleece, over 2 thermal tops.
Treking poles.
Gloves,
Beanie
Balaclava,
Ear wrap thing. (bought it there, like sweatband, but covers ears)
Domke Photographers jacket

What worked and didn't.

Beanie didn't get used, was either ear wrap, or balaclava
Gortex jacket only when it was wet or really windy, otherwise not required durign day trips, vital in evening / snowing.

Gortex Pants, Boots and Gaters.  I lived in these for 5 days, worked exceptionally well, never got wet, even when crawling around in the snow/mud/sea/ground  etc etc.  Definatly made shooting much more pleasent and no issues getting low on ground, even in crap conditions (wet Ash, mud, snow etc).  I normally wear jeans, this is MUCH better and one I'll definatly use more often.  Also pants have suspeders which was nice.

Treking poles didn't get used at all, but then trip was mostly car / shoot / car.

Domke Jacket - I swear by this thing, I fly in it, shoot in it, etc etc. very usefull.

Microspikes.  These are like 4WD feet. Very good around the waterfalls, and other slighty dangerous areas. (they havn't invented guard rails in iceland yet, which is good).  Although I only used them a couple times on ice (worked fine),  they were also very good on slippery/wet/mossy ground.

I tried shooting with Thinktank belt pack for most of it, and moving things out of backpack in truck.  This jsut didn't work at all well for me.  Ended up being better with Domke, and 2 bodies slung with lenses.   I still need to work out a belt pack or bag system that works for the field.  (I don't want to shoot from a backpack anymore, as putting it down sucks in the places I shoot).   Just having the Backpack in the car with all gear worked fine.

Things I'm going to buy / have bought since the trip because of it

I had a day in new york on the way home, so B&H got a visit.

- Gitzo leveling plate that goes with the systematic tripod.  Should of gotten this the first time prior to spending money on 'other' leveling solutions
- Storm Jacket rain cover
- Lens Pen and especially, Sensor Pen.   Coupled with a Sensor Scope and an Artic Butterfly, this was excellent at taking the crap off sensors (and I got lots on sensor, its a dusty environment)
- 14mm f2.8.  I borrowed Seth's 14mm on the boat trip, and thats prob going to turn into a very expensive boat ride. the 14mm is a stunning piece of glass
- UpStrap,  again, I had the usual problems 2 bodies and walking, with cameras wanting to slide off shoulders/  (I hate hanging them around neck).   Carried one of Seth's cameras with lens for a while, and it just didn't move.  Instantly sold on these straps.  fraid the Optechs are getting the boot in favour of Upstraps for sure.

Peter McLennan

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2010, 11:05:26 am »

Quote from: Marlyn
Sure, Here is a breif list of what I took, and what worked and didn't, and some ramble

Superb images, superb report. Thanks!  

Like your boat ride, the report probably cost me a lot of money. : )

Lisa Nikodym

• http://www.stanford.edu/~melkor/lisa_pictures/lisa_pictures.html
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2010, 11:11:56 am »

Wow, I love the erupting volcano photos.  Thanks for posting them!

Lisa
[url=http://www.stanford.edu/~melkor/lis
Pages: [1]   Go Up