Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Quelite and singer  (Read 3924 times)

Andres Bonilla

Quelite and singer
« on: May 23, 2010, 03:51:31 pm »

The photo of the singer was part of a new approach, the photo of the lady was in a town called Quelite in Sinaloa.

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
Quelite and singer
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2010, 03:37:56 am »

Quote from: Andres Bonilla
The photo of the singer was part of a new approach, the photo of the lady was in a town called Quelite in Sinaloa.
They're both good. I'd like the first rather more if you could correct the distortion, though.

Jeremy

Ed Blagden

Quelite and singer
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2010, 07:23:49 am »

I love number 1, although I agree that it could do with a bit of distortion correction, and maybe a bit of a crop off the right hand side (sorry Russ).  

Both images are rather Martin Parr-esque, and I mean that in a good way.

Ed

Andres Bonilla

Quelite and singer
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2010, 12:52:17 pm »

Quote from: kikashi
They're both good. I'd like the first rather more if you could correct the distortion, though.

Jeremy

Thanks Jeremy! Ah the distortion debate  Some people don't care for it, some like the wide angle effect. If I were to change thje distortion, would I use the free transform tool and then recrop?

Andres Bonilla

Quelite and singer
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2010, 12:53:23 pm »

Quote from: Ed Blagden
I love number 1, although I agree that it could do with a bit of distortion correction, and maybe a bit of a crop off the right hand side (sorry Russ).  

Both images are rather Martin Parr-esque, and I mean that in a good way.

Ed

Thanks Ed, now I have to Google Martin Parr!

Thanks,

Andres

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
Quelite and singer
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2010, 01:14:41 pm »

Quote from: Andres Bonilla
Thanks Jeremy! Ah the distortion debate  Some people don't care for it, some like the wide angle effect. If I were to change thje distortion, would I use the free transform tool and then recrop?
You're taxing my skills! I think LR3 beta has lens correction, as does PS. I imagine they would be better than free transform but I expect there are people around here with expertise than I have.

Jeremy

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
Quelite and singer
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2010, 03:55:21 pm »

Andres, I'm packing to move the office I've occupied for about the past 20 years so I'm afraid I'm late to the discussion. I really like them both, and I'd agree with the idea of correcting the distortion -- as much as possible. As it turns out it's not possible to remove it completely. I don't agree with Ed's crop. The deep shadows of the lamp-post and bush are important to the feeling of the approach of late afternoon. With something like this I always like to see what it looks like in B&W. Here's what it looks like -- with as much distortion correction as I could muster for #1:

[attachment=22183:Quiles.jpg]     [attachment=22182:Bohemio_Mazatlan.jpg]

I'm not sure which I like best. As Ed pointed out they have a Martin Paar feeling, but I think that's mostly because of the pushed color saturation. In any case, keep it up Andres. This is my favorite kind of thing.
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
Quelite and singer
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2010, 03:50:32 am »

Quote from: RSL
Andres, I'm packing to move the office I've occupied for about the past 20 years so I'm afraid I'm late to the discussion. I really like them both, and I'd agree with the idea of correcting the distortion -- as much as possible. As it turns out it's not possible to remove it completely. I don't agree with Ed's crop. The deep shadows of the lamp-post and bush are important to the feeling of the approach of late afternoon. With something like this I always like to see what it looks like in B&W. Here's what it looks like -- with as much distortion correction as I could muster for #1:

[attachment=22183:Quiles.jpg]  

I'm not sure which I like best. As Ed pointed out they have a Martin Paar feeling, but I think that's mostly because of the pushed color saturation. In any case, keep it up Andres. This is my favorite kind of thing.
For once, I have to disagree both with Russ and with a b&w conversion. I find it's the vivid colouring that makes the first shot.

Jeremy

Chairman Bill

• flickr page
Quelite and singer
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2010, 05:03:39 am »

But the second one is much improved in B&W (IMHO of course)

RSL

Quelite and singer
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2010, 11:52:22 am »

For once, I have to disagree both with Russ and with a b&w conversion. I find it's the vivid colouring that makes the first shot.
Jeremy

Jeremy, Actually we don't disagree. I always like to try a B&W conversion on something like this. Looking at both color and B&W versions I tend to agree that the first is better in color, the second in B&W.

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
Quelite and singer
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2010, 12:26:14 pm »

Quote from: RSL
Jeremy, Actually we don't disagree.
Phew!

Jeremy

RSL

Quelite and singer
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2010, 02:17:12 pm »

Phew!

Jeremy

Knew you'd be relieved.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2010, 03:07:16 pm by RSL »

John R

Quelite and singer
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2010, 03:10:25 pm »

Andres, very much like the first image. Are the colours really that vivid? No matter, the elements balance- shadows, light and colours- they come together beautifully. I am not enthusiastic about the second image, however. I studied it carefully and noticed the deep shadows were gone as in the first image. The image looks cartoonish with a somewhat HDR look about it, but I can't put my finger on it. It is not simple and the background colours overwhelm and compete with the singer and make the image rather busy.

JMR
« Last Edit: May 25, 2010, 03:11:18 pm by John R »

Andres Bonilla

Quelite and singer
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2010, 10:41:29 pm »

Thanks guys for the replies !! Ok first of all I have CS2 so I don't have a lens distortion  but I remember photogs using the free transform tool to fix it, I will go back to my books. I am curious as to how many in this forum dislike most of the barrel distortion of the wide angles. I love when photographers play with my images to see different approaches; I thought of these images in terms of color but the B/W are very interesting. John I like the photo of the singer because of the colorful and busy background; maybe because the mood was festive when I took the photo and that reminded me of the feeling. I see how it may be too much objectively. The look I was going for was the one of a photograph I saw years ago in the cover of an album for  Supertramp, I think. Yes it is a tad cartoonish  Again, some photographers  do not care for the style.

Thanks again,

Andres
Pages: [1]   Go Up