Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Compact Flash Memory Card Duplicates  (Read 1723 times)

Tim Gray

• http://www.timgrayphotography.com
Compact Flash Memory Card Duplicates
« on: August 22, 2005, 12:52:11 pm »

I believe the Epson 2000 has an option to "copy to memory card".

Don't know what you're trying to do, but  suppose this might be useful to actually create a backup of select important shots so you have one copy on the PDS and one on an "archive" CF card -assuming you don't want to carry 2 PSDs.  On the other hand, that's why I'm considering a DVD writer - I could write 2 dvd's if I wanted true redundancy.

I don't know what other PSDs might have that capability.

MJohnQ

« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2005, 10:27:44 pm »

I assume you want to make a backup of a CF card in the field from one card to another without the need for a PC.

I searched the net and couldn't find a device that does this. It might be useful if there was a card reader/writer that connected directly to the camera to enable one to "download" either the entire contents of the card in the camera or just selected images to another card. It would certainly be smaller than a hard drive device or a CD/DVD burner. Probably more rugged, too.

Maybe no one has thought of it.

jrlennox_01

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2005, 04:34:44 pm »

Does anyone know if there is a standalone interface that allows copying files from one 2 GB compact flash memory card to another without the use of a PC?

I've seen the portable hard drives that enable "dumping" of image files, devices that copy files from flash media to CD/DVD via portable drives, and am also aware of how a PC can be used to write to memory cards. What I have not seen is a true hand-held means of memory card duplication that does not require a PC.

Does anyone know of anything like this?

Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jonathan Wienke

• http://visual-vacations.com/
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2005, 03:16:21 pm »

Does anyone know if there is a standalone interface that allows copying files from one 2 GB compact flash memory card to another without the use of a PC?
Such a device would be pointless, as there are other far more cost effective ways to backup one's data than CF cards. The DVD burner devices are one example; you can burn a card to multiple DVDs if you really want to.

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2005, 11:58:41 pm »

I agree with Johnathan.  On a cost/GB basis, CF cards are definitely not cheap and I wonder about the practicality of it.  You wouldn't have to purchase too many 'backup' CF cards before you get into the cost of a P2000 or some such similar device.  Bigger storage, more versatile, the list goes on.  From there, DVD backup or portable HD.  I can't really see any advantage to backing up from one card to another, in the field or anywhere...

Mike.
If your mind is attuned t
Pages: [1]   Go Up