Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Compact MF film camera  (Read 11226 times)

ondebanks

Compact MF film camera
« Reply #20 on: May 25, 2010, 11:15:00 am »

Quote from: shutay
Bronica's RF645 "Texas Leica" should be a pretty good choice too, if you can deal with the vertical framing. I have the 45mm f/4 and the 65mm f/4. There was also a 135mm in early versions, which was later revised to a 100mm due to lack of sufficient rangefinder baseline to accurately focus the 135mm. It has a really nice feel to it, metal and solid.

Tamron's Bronica RF645 Page

Great camera except it's not TTL focusing, which was his main requirement...

Dick Roadnight

Compact MF film camera
« Reply #21 on: May 25, 2010, 03:35:13 pm »

Think ahead and start a system for which you can later get additional lenses...and a digital back.
Hasselblad H4, Sinar P3 monorail view camera, Schneider Apo-digitar lenses

DanielStone

Compact MF film camera
« Reply #22 on: May 25, 2010, 07:18:48 pm »

Jim,

if you're only looking to shoot film with this camera, then I'd look at the Pentax 645's. The N/NII have AF, they're small(ish), a nice motor drive for a MF camera(about 2fps), and the lenses are terrific!

I'm in the process of picking up a 645n with the 45mm and 75mm lenses from a friend, he's used them for years, and they're still kicking ass !

take a look(and a feel if you can). they're great little cameras.

the only drawback IMO is that they don't have interchangeable magazines, like the Mamiya 645 tl(or pro), but generally this doesn't really matter much.

cheers!

-Dan

jimgolden

• http://
Compact MF film camera
« Reply #23 on: May 25, 2010, 09:00:59 pm »

Quote from: shutay
Bronica's RF645 "Texas Leica" should be a pretty good choice too, if you can deal with the vertical framing. I have the 45mm f/4 and the 65mm f/4. There was also a 135mm in early versions, which was later revised to a 100mm due to lack of sufficient rangefinder baseline to accurately focus the 135mm. It has a really nice feel to it, metal and solid.

Tamron's Bronica RF645 Page

texas leica are the fuji 680, 690...

no TTL focusing...

jimgolden

Compact MF film camera
« Reply #24 on: May 25, 2010, 09:08:35 pm »

Quote from: Dick Roadnight
Think ahead and start a system for which you can later get additional lenses...and a digital back.

dick, read the posts, I have an H3D, a 5D2, a sinar, blah blah blah : )

I'm going BACK to film for my personal work...
« Last Edit: May 25, 2010, 09:08:58 pm by jimgolden »

jimgolden

Compact MF film camera
« Reply #25 on: May 25, 2010, 09:10:09 pm »

Quote from: DanielStone
I'd look at the Pentax 645's. The N/NII have AF, they're small(ish),

daniel how does the pentax compare in size to an H hassie with a filmback and 80mm?

gwhitf

Compact MF film camera
« Reply #26 on: May 25, 2010, 09:11:12 pm »

Quote from: jimgolden
texas leica are the fuji 680, 690...

no TTL focusing...

The Fuji 680 is TTL focusing, for sure. You must be thinking of the 670 and 690. The 680 is the Texas Deardorff; not quite what I'd classify as "compact", unless you're traveling in a Texas Hummer.

Dick Roadnight

Compact MF film camera
« Reply #27 on: May 26, 2010, 06:28:12 am »

dick, read the posts, I have an H3D, a 5D2, a sinar, blah blah blah : )

I'm going BACK to film for my personal work...
A Hasselblad V system would still be a viable option, if compact enough for your purposes.
Hasselblad H4, Sinar P3 monorail view camera, Schneider Apo-digitar lenses

jimgolden

Compact MF film camera
« Reply #28 on: May 26, 2010, 11:44:57 pm »

Quote from: gwhitf
The Fuji 680 is TTL focusing, for sure. You must be thinking of the 670 and 690. The 680 is the Texas Deardorff; not quite what I'd classify as "compact", unless you're traveling in a Texas Hummer.

excuse me, texas leica is Fuji RANGEFINDER GS or GW or whatevs 670, 690 - or at least thats what ive been told, read, etc...

I know what a gx680 is.

splitting hairs here...
« Last Edit: May 26, 2010, 11:50:06 pm by jimgolden »

micek

Compact MF film camera
« Reply #29 on: May 27, 2010, 01:51:16 am »

Cheap, light, compact, well-built: Rolleicord V. That's the camera I take with me when I travel, or my Bronica RF645.

DanielStone

Compact MF film camera
« Reply #30 on: May 27, 2010, 02:25:38 am »

daniel how does the pentax compare in size to an H hassie with a filmback and 80mm?

Jim,

the Pentax 645 is a great little camera. Compared to the H(1 or 2), I owned an H2 , and it was a beast weight-wise. If I were walking around, or even just taking photos of the family around the house(which I do since I'm still at home w/ the family while in school, I'm 22 btw).

you know what the H is like weight-wise, so you know its not too light. But think of something around 1/2-2/3 the weight of the H, with a faster motordrive(IMO, haven't checked specs) and a nice "in the hand" feel. Not too small(and I have bigger hands than most normal people), but just big enough. The viewfinder is quite nice, a little "tubey", but still very nice(IMO).

the AF is pretty damn accurate too.

here's a little write-up from our best friend, Ken Rockwell  

the lenses these days are going for pennies on the dollar, check KEH prices, but I've really been considering just dumping my Nikon 35mm system(film) and just going with a 645n, the one from my friend I mentioned before.

a bigger negative, a fast enough motordrive for most things, and it ain't too expensive, you can always have an extra backup body, or 2, or 3

the lenses are all great too. I've made 16x20's from some studio shots I did for a college class, and everyone was wondering if I had shot 4X5 for it(since I'd shot 4x5 for pretty much everything else that semester) "nope, that shitty-looking man. focus bastardized Pentax that no one wants to check out from the stockroom". I've had a hard time checking it out since  

oh... and I shot the series on 400Tmax. that film just rocks!!! soup it in pretty much anything(I use pyro), and the results can mimic anything, that classic "tri-x" look(I've found if used with Rodinal), or Panatomic-X(if dev'd in the Tmax developer, which is designed for super-fine grain, a little less sharp, but really nice overall).

I've found the 75mm 2.8 lens to be a great performer, everyone seems to thing that you need to have some sort of "special" whiz-bang lens for shooting portraits, or for "creamy bokeh". I seem to use that P.O.S. lens(heck it was a rental camera b4 being donated to the school) about 80% of the time, with the remainder split between the 45mm and the 120mm.

to be quite honest, I've come to love this camera so much, my RZ's getting withdrawal symptoms ! It's like shooting a 35mm on steroids. Light and fast, and gives you a nice big negative(not like a 6x7 mind you ), but still damn good enough to make 16x20's that knock people's socks off(at least in my experience  )

cheers!

-Dan
« Last Edit: May 27, 2010, 02:26:25 am by DanielStone »

mmurph

Compact MF film camera
« Reply #31 on: May 27, 2010, 10:56:47 pm »

I used to own a Pentax 645N and a Mamiya 7II at the same time, around 1998-ish.

They are both beautiful cameras, I loved them both.  The 645N was fun and easy to use, especuially with the wider zoom.  Well designed, well constructed, a very solid feel.  I think I used the 645N almost exclusively for about 1 year.

But for me at the time, the 645 negative was just a little too small. It wasn't high enough quality (again - to me) to justify the extra expense and inconvienence over 35mm. After that year, I wound up using the Mamiya 7II almost exclusively when I didn't need an SLR, rather than the 645N, because of image area.  

That said, a color 6x7 slide/negative was a bit pricy, at about $1 per frame (for pro color film and pro lab development, here in the US.)  With slide film in particular, doing 1 or 2 variations of an image with 1 or 2 brackets to avoid blowing hightlights, etc, meant that you might shoot a roll of 220 - 20 images, 20 dollars - on maybe two scenes.  By comparison, the 33 (I thnk?) frames on a 220 roll from the Pentax, with its very accurate matrix metering, felt quite liberating.   (The metering on the Mamiya 7 is a bot unique, to say teh least.  Once you get used to it though it is fine.)

In the end, though, I really do **like** to make images.  I like the whole process of exploration in the field, moving into and around a subject,  experimenting, and I didn't want to severly restrict the number of frames that I made, especially for personal projects.  So the price really got to be prohibitive for me, something like $5,000 per year just for film and developing for personal stuff.  That is the quandry still every time I pick up one of my film cameras, which are mostly 4x5 nowadays.  

Anyway, have fun! Lots of nice choices.

Best,
Michael
« Last Edit: May 27, 2010, 11:00:11 pm by mmurph »

jimgolden

Compact MF film camera
« Reply #32 on: May 27, 2010, 11:50:01 pm »

thx for input Dan and Michael

Professional

Compact MF film camera
« Reply #33 on: June 04, 2010, 12:16:18 am »

My sexiest camera taken by my ugliest camera

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

KevinA

• Tree Without a Bird
Compact MF film camera
« Reply #34 on: June 04, 2010, 04:04:52 am »

Makina 67. It folds has modern optics and gives you a 6x7. You have a choice of either a wide or slightly wide camera. RF and built in meter, Plaubel will still service and repair them. I had one for years until I dropped it recently.

Kevin.
Kevin.

marcwilson

• http://www.marcwilson.co.uk
Compact MF film camera
« Reply #35 on: June 04, 2010, 10:25:25 am »

Quote from: mmurph
...In the end, though, I really do **like** to make images.  I like the whole process of exploration in the field, moving into and around a subject,  experimenting, and I didn't want to severly restrict the number of frames that I made, especially for personal projects.  So the price really got to be prohibitive for me, something like $5,000 per year just for film and developing for personal stuff.  That is the quandry still every time I pick up one of my film cameras, which are mostly 4x5 nowadays. ...

Anyway, have fun! Lots of nice choices.

Best,
Michael

Very much agreed.
I shoot my personal project work on 54 (or 4x5 if you prefer!). I use it due to the large image size and the movements to get the imaeg quality I want...but it can be restricitve in terms of amounts of shot you shoot, variations, etc.
I often find myself scouting the location with my G11, then sitting back and looking over the shots, then selecting the one to shoot properly.

Without doubt in film the most flexible camera I ever used is the Mamiya 7. Top IQ, handholdable, flexible, 10 versions for the same price as one sheet of 54, etc etc.

I love film and love working with my 54, but won't be too sad when the day comes that I put a digital back on my large format (or other shift) camera.

Marc
www.marcwilson.co.uk [url=http://www.mar

ondebanks

Compact MF film camera
« Reply #36 on: June 09, 2010, 11:20:19 am »

Quote from: KevinA
Makina 67. It folds has modern optics and gives you a 6x7. You have a choice of either a wide or slightly wide camera. RF and built in meter, Plaubel will still service and repair them. I had one for years until I dropped it recently.

Kevin.

Sigh. Again:

[I'm sounding like a broken record here...why don't people read the posts before jumping in with a reply?]

baudolino

Compact MF film camera
« Reply #37 on: June 12, 2010, 01:44:40 pm »

Quote from: ondebanks
Sigh. Again:

[I'm sounding like a broken record here...why don't people read the posts before jumping in with a reply?]

My choice was a new Rolleiflex 2.8 FX - bought it over the auction site, from a guy in Shanghai who probably purchased the inventory of Francke & Heidecke from the receivers... I thought it was the end of an era, always wanted to have this camera (I started with photography with a TLR given to me at the age of 11 by my grandfather, it was a TLR - a Flexaret VI    , so this was going back to the roots for me. I do not regret my choice - even though I use an MFDB these days almost all the time, sometimes, especially when I want to travel light (usually on business), I take the Rollei. Last time was on a business trip to Jeddah, Saudi Arabia (see below). And sorry for not thinking before jumping in with a reply.   Regards, Martin

[attachment=22575:Jeddah_Al_Balad.jpg]
« Last Edit: June 12, 2010, 01:51:01 pm by baudolino »

shutay

• http://www.asiaphotohub.com/Jason/
Compact MF film camera
« Reply #38 on: June 12, 2010, 10:24:00 pm »

Quote from: ondebanks
Sigh. Again:

Isn't it entirely possible that myself and others who did not post TTL focusing suggestions have looked at what he was using before, and thought about what he wanted to do, and... putting ourselves in his shoes, suggest camera models that we genuinely feel are worth considering given what it seems like he is looking for? Of course no camera fulfills all the requirements, I don't believe there has ever been one that does. Is that all wrong?

Or maybe everybody is purposely posting non-TTL suggestions just so you can jump in and set us all straight!

jimgolden

Compact MF film camera
« Reply #39 on: June 14, 2010, 12:05:02 am »

i settled on Pentax 645N - on its way to me now, we'll see ho it goes...$525, cant beat that
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up