Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: lu-la changes  (Read 10633 times)

Graeme Nattress

• http://www.nattress.com
lu-la changes
« Reply #20 on: May 24, 2010, 03:30:37 pm »

Best of luck with the changes ahead!

Graeme

Rob C

lu-la changes
« Reply #21 on: May 24, 2010, 03:49:36 pm »

Clearly, none of you has experienced the thrill of cycling to school in a Scottish winter.

Rob C

feppe

• Oh this shows up in here!
    • Harri Jahkola Photography
lu-la changes
« Reply #22 on: May 24, 2010, 04:59:27 pm »

Quote from: Rob C
Clearly, none of you has experienced the thrill of cycling to school in a Scottish winter.

Rob C

Uphill? Both Ways? In headwind? Both Ways?

Another favorite past time we Finns partake while going to the sauna is rolling in the snow naked. Last time I did that it was 30 below (F and C). It's not nearly as bad as it sounds; afterwards it feels like you're pricked by thousands of tiny needles.

Hmm, that actually does sound bad...

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
lu-la changes
« Reply #23 on: May 30, 2010, 11:30:45 pm »

Hi,

Mark Dubovoy has already written some interesting articles on LuLa and Chris Sanderson's efforts are well known. I look forward to new articles by Mark and Chris and also from Michael Reichmann.

I wish Michael Reichman good luck with his new projects, and obviously hope that he continues to share experience and images.

Best regards
Erik Kaffehr

Quote from: Rusty
Congratulations Michael, reading between the lines I sense that you have made some important decisions as to what is important to you AND are acting on them. Well done and best wishes. I enjoy my visits, the tutorials and journal and will continue to do so.
Erik Kaffehr

Philmar

• Office drone by day - Photoenthusiast on weekends
    • https://www.flickr.com/photos/phil_marion/albums
lu-la changes
« Reply #24 on: June 21, 2010, 04:43:08 pm »

Say it ain't so!!!

Well I think congratulations are in order. Escaping East Toronto for Collingwood and San Miguel should be a happy decision. I just hope you didn't pick this weekend (the G20 Conference in Toronto) for the move.  
I can confirm that San Miguel is a most wonderful photogenic place worthy of a lifetime of great photos and classes. But you already know that. So best of luck in your new adventure. No regrets, for sure!!

My only concern is that I'll never make it to your studio before it closes. I set aside a TTC token years ago to visit it but was always putting it on the backburner - I guess I'd rather be shooting in my spare time. Calling for an appointment was always a deterrent for me – and just dropping by was rude. I passed by several times on my bike reminding myself I have to visit the gallery ‘one day’ – well it looks like ‘one day’ never comes….sniff.

Having visited San Miguel for 2 very brief days last year I was hoping I'd see more of your photos from that lovely village. Did that boat leave harbor already? is there an on-line gallery that I can see? Or maybe I can get a last glimpse of them as the movers transport it up north?

Anyone considering attending a workshop of Michael’s in San Miguel won’t help but fall in love with that colonial gem.

Here’s my take on that lovely town:

http://www.fluidr.com/photos/phil_marion/s...157622470811739

P.S. If you have any gear that won't fit in to your new digs there's at least one Toronto-area photoenthusiast/hobbyist willing to help find it a deserving home.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2010, 04:48:26 pm by Philmar »

michael

lu-la changes
« Reply #25 on: June 21, 2010, 06:03:00 pm »

I'm in San Miguel right now, setting up our new home. Back after the summit.

The gallery is now closed - sorry, but I do plan on doing small workshops at our place in Clearview County, Ont as well as San Miguel.

Michael
« Last Edit: June 21, 2010, 07:35:20 pm by michael »

Rob C

lu-la changes
« Reply #26 on: June 22, 2010, 03:56:18 am »

Quote from: michael
I'm in San Miguel right now, setting up our new home. Back after the summit.

The gallery is now closed - sorry, but I do plan on doing small workshops at our place in Clearview County, Ont as well as San Miguel.

Michael

Best of luck, Michael, but also some hard-earned advice: saturate the area with your pics straight away while your eye is relatively fresh to the place. After living in Mallorca for almost thirty years I can no longer see much with a fresh vision. What once seemed exotic is now commonplace (to me) and I suspect a tourist would probably see more! It wouldn't be new or better, but fresh to him and so he'd shoot it. Sad but true.

Guess that's why we move on from location to location whenever budgets permit, though even that's not always any guarantee of greater inspiration. There's even the case for returning to old favourites simply to save time and get the job done without a recce.

As your latest shot of the two hombres shows - your eye is far more attuned to people shots than you maybe think... I always thought it your forte.

Enjoy the new life.

Rob C
« Last Edit: June 22, 2010, 03:56:53 am by Rob C »

fredjeang

lu-la changes
« Reply #27 on: June 22, 2010, 06:05:52 am »

I've heard that San Jose has a big comunity of US and Canadians citizens. I wonder why is that? I mean, why in that particular continental location?

I join Rob's post wishing the best to Michael and enjoying the new life. That's the most important: to enjoy.

Ps1: Rob, I agree with you that Michael has people or reportage in his veins, but the latest landscape images are also showing that he his first a photographer, able
to deal with most styles and situations. A 4x4 if I can use this image.  

LoisWakeman

lu-la changes
« Reply #28 on: June 22, 2010, 07:23:03 am »

Quote from: Rob C
Guess that's why we move on from location to location whenever budgets permit, though even that's not always any guarantee of greater inspiration.
Interesting Rob - I find that by more or less restricting myself to local places, it forces me to look hard for a fresh take, or new inspirations in the same things. Doesn't always work of course, but every so often I get fired up again and go off on a new tangent.

I have no aspirations to move at all, and would happily die in the same place, sans passport! (and to be truthful, the older I get, the more I hate travelling, which is so uncivilised for those without private wealth.)

michael

lu-la changes
« Reply #29 on: June 22, 2010, 10:56:37 am »

Fred,

It's "San Miguel", not San Jose.

It is a very special town. It's located in the middle of Mexico, in the high plains (about 6,200 ft above sea level). Because of this the climate is very mild and consistent. Beautiful all year.

The town itself is old, from the colonial period, with cobblestone streets, flowers everywhere, brightly painted houses and a great deal of man-made and natural beauty. It's located 3 hours north of Mexico city, 6 hours south of Texas, 8 hours from the Pacific and 6 hours from the Atlantic. Like I said, right in the middle of the country. It has no airport. It has no industry.

San Miguel is a Mexican "National Monument" and was also declared a "World Heritage Site" by the UN a couple of years ago. It is popular with Americas and Canadian in the winter because of the warm weather. It's popular with people from Mexico City as a "get-away", vacation spot; a place to have weddings and such. It's popular with Texans and others from the US southwest during the summer when it's very hot up north, (north of SMA at least) because its summers are cool.

The cost of living in Mexico is about 1/3rd to 1/2 of that in the northern US and Canada. Add it all together, and if like me one can work wherever there's a high-speed internet connection, the attraction in considerable.

Oh yes, crime? Not an issue here. San Miguel is safer than Toronto, or any big city for that matter. The drug wars that are in the press take place in the Texas and California border towns, hundreds of miles away. The worst crimes seen here are car break-ins, and then not that often. The cops mainly direct traffic.

So, as the saying goes – What's not to like?

Michael

Rob C

lu-la changes
« Reply #30 on: June 22, 2010, 11:02:43 am »

Quote from: LoisWakeman
Interesting Rob - I find that by more or less restricting myself to local places, it forces me to look hard for a fresh take, or new inspirations in the same things. Doesn't always work of course, but every so often I get fired up again and go off on a new tangent.

I have no aspirations to move at all, and would happily die in the same place, sans passport! (and to be truthful, the older I get, the more I hate travelling, which is so uncivilised for those without private wealth.)

Lois

I don't know that private wealth is much the answer either - three men I knew out here flew by executive jet to Turkey where they were having yachts built (don't ask - money thinks differently) and even that turned out not so cool - they had to spend the flight time chatting to one another when, basically, they were in competition...  But seriously, flying used to be something to which one could look forward with pleasure; today, it's cattle-class all the way, separate lounges or not. I have not flown for almost six years and would do almost anything to avoid the need - even drive, if a reasonable alternative!

Sadly for me, familiarity does breed contempt with visual things. Believe me, I have walked the local town looking for 'atmospherics' that would move me and stop the ache for model work but I never find it. The closest I ever got was Gang Bang, that little shot of the local ruin with the graffito on it that's in the website, and I have even wandered around purposely looking for the alternative, which was to do some b/w conversions that would suggest menace. All I got was b/ws that suggested grotty!

The three men in the plane? Their boats were sold off within two years of delivery. Disasters. You gotta be rich to afford mistakes!

Rob C

fredjeang

lu-la changes
« Reply #31 on: June 22, 2010, 12:57:50 pm »

Fred,

It is a very special town. It's located in the middle of Mexico, in the high plains (about 6,200 ft above sea level). Because of this the climate is very mild and consistent. Beautiful all year.

The town itself is old, from the colonial period, with cobblestone streets, flowers everywhere, brightly painted houses and a great deal of man-made and natural beauty. It's located 3 hours north of Mexico city, 6 hours south of Texas, 8 hours from the Pacific and 6 hours from the Atlantic. Like I said, right in the middle of the country. It has no airport. It has no industry.

San Miguel is a Mexican "National Monument" and was also declared a "World Heritage Site" by the UN a couple of years ago. It is popular with Americas and Canadian in the winter because of the warm weather. It's popular with people from Mexico City as a "get-away", vacation spot; a place to have weddings and such. It's popular with Texans and others from the US southwest during the summer when it's very hot up north, (north of SMA at least) because its summers are cool.

The cost of living in Mexico is about 1/3rd to 1/2 of that in the northern US and Canada. Add it all together, and if like me one can work wherever there's a high-speed internet connection, the attraction in considerable.

Oh yes, crime? Not an issue here. San Miguel is safer than Toronto, or any big city for that matter. The drug wars that are in the press take place in the Texas and California border towns, hundreds of miles away. The worst crimes seen here are car break-ins, and then not that often. The cops mainly direct traffic.

Michael
Thank you for this description Michael.

In fact I looked first at the google maps because I've heard so much about San Miguel and the scale is misleading because Mexico is thin. So as you pointed, it is strategically located.
I guess that you will have both really interesting urban and landscapes, without talking about the seaS...high life quality and low cost of living. Indeed, highly attractive.

Not kidding, but I will look closely to it and get informations in the mexican house in Madrid, what you describes is exactly the kind of location I'm looking for to spend the summertime out of Europe.
(Summertime here is hell with 40º C and above temperatures.)

People look amazingly friendly. I also need a move, or a shake. Other skys, smells and colors. And with the money saved because of the life-cost, I finally buy myself the M9!  
I want to plan something like that in the next year. Yes, just a fast internet connection is needed.

Then, as it is just 8 hours from the ocean, Chris S will be able to visit with his brand new yatch from the Caraibes, and now that he has this new m4/3 real video camera from Panasonic
(now I understand why they really did join the format)...I guess we will see the next videos under the palmtrees in Hawain colored introductions...

Best luck in San Jose, sorry, in San Miguel.

Cheers.

James R

lu-la changes
« Reply #32 on: June 22, 2010, 01:50:02 pm »

Fred,

Michael

Enjoy the life style change.  San Miguel sounds like a beautiful place.  Where is the nearest airport?

Colorwave

• Colorwave Imaging
lu-la changes
« Reply #33 on: June 22, 2010, 03:10:38 pm »

Be sure to say hi to your new neighbor, Aaron Jones for me.  Aaron invented the Hosemaster, and helped kill off the High Tech look of 80's advertising photography by reintroducing romance and painterly qualities to the medium.  I worked with Aaron for many years in San Francisco, and he's a great guy.  He discovered San Miguel many years ago as an escape from the "fast lane" of Santa Fe, NM, and if it's good enough for him, living there, I'm sure it is a special place.  From what I understand, it has much of the original charm for artists of Santa Fe, but it hasn't been commercialized and spoiled yet.  Do all you can to keep the place from being Cancun-ized, and maybe it will still have the same charm by the time I'm able to visit there.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2010, 03:13:00 pm by Colorwave »
-Ron H.
[url=http://colorwaveimaging.com

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
lu-la changes
« Reply #34 on: June 22, 2010, 03:20:22 pm »

Congrats Mike!

I have been to a few places where I felt I could spend the rest of my life. One of those was Haute Provence in France, in the mountains. Unfortunately I don't speak the language (French) and I guess that I couldn't make a living there, but that would be nice. The second nicest spot on Earth I have been to was Idaho Falls...

I hope that you enjoy your part time living St. Miguel but also that you still find time to spend on this excellent site.

Best regards
Erik

Fred,

Michael
Erik Kaffehr

michael

lu-la changes
« Reply #35 on: June 22, 2010, 03:25:15 pm »

James,

There is an airport in Leon, about 90 minutes away, but it's served only by flights from the American southwest. I'd rather not fly through the U.S. unless I absolutely have to.

I therefore fly to Mexico City, which has daily non-stops from Toronto, and virtually every other major city in the western world. From there it's a 3 hour drive via a car service. Lean back, doze and you're there.

In the winter, when I come for a few months, I plan on driving down so I can bring my dog and also have my car here.

Michael

michael

lu-la changes
« Reply #36 on: June 22, 2010, 03:26:52 pm »

Erik,

The site is just an Internet connection away, and I have faster DSL here in SMA than I do in Toronto.

Michael

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
lu-la changes
« Reply #37 on: June 22, 2010, 03:44:19 pm »

Michael, it's nice to hear...

I'm also looking forward to all new articles by Mark Dubovoy and Chris Sanderson.

May I have a suggestion? You have a series of excellent interviews with very interesting people, like Ray Maxwell, Norman Koren, Charlie Cramer, Bill Takinson, Jack Dykinga and many others. It would be nice if you could share some of the interviews when the LLVJs are a couple years old. It would be nice to be able to share all those insights with other people. Don't know how - but it would be nice.

Actually, the tutorials you make have an entertainment value. I guess that some of the credit is really Chris Sanderson's. Anyway, excellent tutorials and great fun!

Best regards
Erik

Erik,

The site is just an Internet connection away, and I have faster DSL here in SMA than I do in Toronto.

Michael
Erik Kaffehr

Philmar

• Office drone by day - Photoenthusiast on weekends
    • https://www.flickr.com/photos/phil_marion/albums
lu-la changes
« Reply #38 on: June 22, 2010, 05:44:49 pm »

Interesting. My impression from my short trip to San Miguel and a few conversation with its ex-pats is that San Miguel was somewhat more expensive than most of Mexico. One ex-pat there was moving as she felt the cost of living was getting relatively out of hand. She was headed for Oaxaca province. Another ex-pat speculated that real estate prices were rising quickly as a result of rumoured Mexican mafia drug cartel money finding it's way to the town. Rumours and interesting anecdotes that I take with a grain of salt. It’s a small enough town that maybe somebody mistook Senor Michael for a drug lord?
One of the real nice things about the town is its disproportionately large array of fine dining establishments. If you have money to spend one will never go without eating well in its many gorgeous restaurants. Another allure is the gorgeous city of Guanajuato which is a mere hour away. It’s a very colourful city and it has a vibrant young local arts community, thanks to a large university population.
Oh San Miguel, the town square is a lovely shaded spot to waste away the day if you're so inclined. As I stated in a much earlier post DO go to one of the swing doored traditional saloons for a drink and be transported to a dimension very unfamiliar to us.
Enjoy your time there.  Oh to be there during the FIFA World Cup. Sorry to hear that the gallery is already closed. You’ll be happy to know T.O. is mired under traffic gridlock as it bends over to accommodate itself for the world’s fatcat leaders during the G20 meeting. I’ll make the best of it and risk life, limb and gear as I go out and shoot the local demos planned. They seem to always slide in to chaotic pitched battles at these summits.
One final question that hasn’t been answered.
Is there an online gallery of your San Miguel photography?
Thanks and Enjoy, Phil
http://www.fluidr.com/photos/phil_marion/s...157622470811739

michael

lu-la changes
« Reply #39 on: June 22, 2010, 06:02:51 pm »

Phil,

You're right about the restaurants. Some pretty amazing ones.

As for drug lords, nary a one in sight. Mostly retired American and Canadian artists and wealthy folks from Mexico City.

Very nice SMA portfolio. You've captured the light and colour well. I'll put something of my own together eventually.

I'm so happy to be out of Toronto for the G20 this week. What a boondoggle!

Just installed a satellite TV system and an HD screen a few days ago, and have been watching a lot of the World Cup games. Irony is that the U.S. Dish system that most expats here have, died a few weeks ago when one of their satellites de-orbited. A local entrepreneur is sourcing Canadian Shaw dishes and that's what we installed, so I now find myself able to watch CBC Toronto TV news down here. Weird.

Add reading the Globe and Mail online, and CBC Radio via XM on my laptop, and I'm in a space/time warp.

Michael

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up