Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Profiles: neutral grey style  (Read 1560 times)

artobest

Profiles: neutral grey style
« on: May 22, 2010, 04:55:20 pm »

Does anybody have an opinion on the virtues (or otherwise) of choosing paper-coloured grey over neutral grey when profiling with HP APS (or any other profiler)? Sometimes I feel HP's greys are too neutral for some media, eg Hahne Bamboo. Would profiling using paper-coloured grey as the neutral-axis style fix this? I assume it would lead to some toning of the image, or am I missing something?

Cheers

Peter

Ernst Dinkla

« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2010, 03:38:06 am »

Quote from: artobest
Does anybody have an opinion on the virtues (or otherwise) of choosing paper-coloured grey over neutral grey when profiling with HP APS (or any other profiler)? Sometimes I feel HP's greys are too neutral for some media, eg Hahne Bamboo. Would profiling using paper-coloured grey as the neutral-axis style fix this? I assume it would lead to some toning of the image, or am I missing something?

Cheers

Peter

It does toning on the image. Towards the black that is reduced of course. Try it out with two profiles and judge it on the eye, this is something you can not describe. I recently did it with an off white offset paper where color + B&W would be printed and made into a book.

met vriendelijke groeten, Ernst Dinkla

Try: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Wide_Inkjet_Printers/

Ethan_Hansen

• Dry Creek Photo
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2010, 06:56:25 pm »

Peter,

Selecting Paper-colored gray allows the color of the paper to affect the neutrals, while Neutral gray attempts to make grayscales as neutral as possible until there is insufficient ink coverage to do so. On media with a distinct color cast -- the war tone of Hahnemuhle Bamboo qualifies here -- using Paper-colored gray gives a smoother transition from paper white to almost white. Visually, this often reads as more neutral than when the ink attempts to override the natural paper color.

artobest

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2010, 02:29:48 am »

Thanks for this. I may reprofile one or two papers. At the (very small) risk of introducing metameric failure into my monochromes, I suppose.

Ernst Dinkla

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2010, 03:16:11 am »

Quote from: artobest
Thanks for this. I may reprofile one or two papers. At the (very small) risk of introducing metameric failure into my monochromes, I suppose.

With an off-white paper and the Z inks being neutral there will be most likely more color ink mixed in the greys when you try to achieve a neutral grey on that paper than when you tone the grey ramp to the off-white paper, the grey inks are too transparent for color domination. And no OBA/FWA content in Bamboo in what I measured. Your chances to see metamerism are negligible.

met vriendelijke groeten, Ernst Dinkla

spectral plots of +100 inkjet papers:
http://www.pigment-print.com/spectralplots/spectrumviz_1.htm
Pages: [1]   Go Up