Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Big Landscape f-stops  (Read 3166 times)

vaphoto

• vaphoto site
Big Landscape f-stops
« on: May 21, 2010, 09:14:58 am »

My first major trip with the M9 is Glacier National Park and the surrounding areas. I will be using 3-lenses: 35 f/2 ASHP, the current 50 f/2 and the latest 90 f/2.8. I will be using a tripod, ND and Pol filters as needed. I will also be trying some HDR and Panoramas.
For the big landscapes what is the best f-stop working range for each of these lenses under early morning and late afternoon conditions?
Thanks
Bob
Bob
vaphoto

PeterAit

• Peter Aitken Photographs
Big Landscape f-stops
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2010, 09:52:41 am »

Quote from: vaphoto
My first major trip with the M9 is Glacier National Park and the surrounding areas. I will be using 3-lenses: 35 f/2 ASHP, the current 50 f/2 and the latest 90 f/2.8. I will be using a tripod, ND and Pol filters as needed. I will also be trying some HDR and Panoramas.
For the big landscapes what is the best f-stop working range for each of these lenses under early morning and late afternoon conditions?
Thanks
Bob

"Best" in what sense? For sharpness, essentially all lenses are best in the middle f-stops. But, why don't you perform a few tests? Then you'll know for sure.

vaphoto

• vaphoto site
Big Landscape f-stops
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2010, 05:55:40 pm »

Quote from: PeterAit
"Best" in what sense? For sharpness, essentially all lenses are best in the middle f-stops. But, why don't you perform a few tests? Then you'll know for sure.

I plan to do some testing, but I was hoping there were basic parameters that applied to each of these lenses. Since this is my first big trip with this gear I was interested in having feedback from more experienced users. My concern was IQ at smaller f-stops. I am comfortable with DOF and exposure matters, but do not know the f/stop limitation, if any, of these 3-lenses for the big landscape I anticipate seeing in Montana.
Thanks
Bob
Bob
vaphoto

Bart_van_der_Wolf

Big Landscape f-stops
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2010, 07:11:46 pm »

My concern was IQ at smaller f-stops. I am comfortable with DOF and exposure matters, but do not know the f/stop limitation, if any, of these 3-lenses for the big landscape I anticipate seeing in Montana.

Hi Bob,

For narrow apertures, there are 2 things to consider. First is the DOF you need to get the shot you've envisioned. For that you'll need to dial in a certain aperture number. Second is the 'per-pixel' blur that will be introduced by narrow aperture diffraction. The size of the diffraction spot pattern is a direct result of the chosen aperture (and it's shape), and the wavelength of light.

Once the diffraction spot diameter exceeds 1.5 pixel widths, it becomes visible as a loss of per-pixel resolution/contrast. Some adopt a 2x sensel pitch criterion, but I'm more critical and use the 1.5x sensel pitch criterion. You can approximete that sensel pitch by dividing the physical sensor array dimensions by the number of pixels in the relevant direction.

Sparing you the derivation details, the narrowest aperture before per-pixel diffraction deterioration strikes is 1.108 x sensel pitch (in microns, for green light).

Cheers,
Bart
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

Rod.Klukas

• http://www.rodklukas.com
Big Landscape f-stops
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2010, 07:49:04 pm »

Thanks
Bob
Bob,
As several other responders have stated, the individual shot requirements are different for each shot.  However the best aperture in terms of quality, and therefore enlargeability, is different for each lens.  Testing the 35mm F2 Asph yields a best quality of between 2.8 and 4.0 and down to 8 is still excellent.
The 50mm 1.4 asph is at its best at about 4-5.6 and still excellent at 8.0, as well.
The 90mm is superb at 2.8 which holds through f8 with slightly lower contrast at f11.  Super color and contrast at all apertures is a hallmark of this lens.
Hope this helps.  When shooting and looking at a grand landscape shot, as there are not close items, you might want to choose the optimum aperture
which would allow for the largest aperture.
Hope this helps.
Rod

Rod Klukas
US Representative Arca-Swiss

JohnBrew

• http://www.johnbrewton.zenfolio.com
Big Landscape f-stops
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2010, 03:51:09 pm »

Bob, I've shot both the 35 Cron ASPH and 50 Cron for landscapes. I usually use f11 for depth of field and raise or lower the shutter speed as necessary to get a good histogram. I have, on the wild occasion, shot at f16 and recovered the shadows in post-processing. I have never shot a landscape anywhere near wide open, but then I don't print any longer than 36". I have not shot with an M9 (yet!) so it may be a different bag of worms. There are many approaches to this subject. Much of it relates to style of shooting. Good luck to you.
John
« Last Edit: June 11, 2010, 03:55:49 pm by JohnBrew »

wirehunt

• Let's go shoot!
    • Lightchasers NZ
Big Landscape f-stops
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2010, 07:46:45 am »

Good luck with it as John said,  and I'm looking forward to seeing the results.
Chasing the light, what more could you want?

Another BLOG
Pages: [1]   Go Up