Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: z3100 Cutter Blade Replacement - part number or type of blade  (Read 2861 times)

Roscolo

HP z3100 44" - does anyone know the type of blade that is in the cutter? Is it something exclusive to HP or just a regular blade obtainable at an art supply store, like a Dexter blade?

Folks have stated they replaced just the blade, but guy from HP says you have to replace the entire cutter assembly, not just the blade, and I don't think that is correct. At the same time, he says there is no part number for the blade. Hopefully that means it's a regular Dexter blade, or utility knife blade.

Anyone replace just the blade in a z3100 44" cutter?

Tx

Colorwave

• Colorwave Imaging
z3100 Cutter Blade Replacement - part number or type of blade
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2010, 04:09:30 am »

From the service manual:

Q5669-60713   Cutter Assembly

I would recommend downloading the service manual from the Wiki if you are going to install it yourself.  It has full instructions.  It does not seem like they are expecting you to switch out just a blade, and it is indeed a full assembly that is supposed to be replaced.
-Ron H.
[url=http://colorwaveimaging.com

Roscolo

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2010, 01:06:06 pm »

Thanks. Looks like HP was right on this one, and some of the statements about swapping blades were incorrect. I don't notice a need to replace anything, I was just ordering supplies and thought I would get a blade to have on hand, but no way would I replace the cutter assembly, even if needed. Makes more sense (and much less expensive) to just cut manually oneself.

John Nollendorfs

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2010, 10:21:39 am »

Quote from: Roscolo
Makes more sense (and much less expensive) to just cut manually oneself.
After trying various methods for cutting canvas on the machine, I found that just using the front metal edge with an extended utility knife works as well as anything! I had tried the cutting guide, (a slot located on the top edge of the retractable sheet paper guide) on the top, toward the back of the machine. But the slot is so shallow, my blade kept skipping out, and it's awkward to reach back there to do it.

John Nollendorfs

DotCom Editor

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2010, 08:48:49 pm »

Aggravating that canvas can't be cut on the Z3100 (maybe the Z3200, too). I'm getting rather disenchanted with my two Z3100 printers (a 24-inch and a 44-inch). I attended a free seminar at B&H this week to see the new Canon printers. I am very impressed.

Roscolo

« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2010, 11:01:22 am »

Quote from: DotCom Editor
Aggravating that canvas can't be cut on the Z3100 (maybe the Z3200, too).

Cutting canvas is actually really easy on the Z. There's a groove on the front of the printer. Just roll the canvas to where you want to cut it, and slide a blade down the groove. I actually think disabling the cutter from cutting canvas is a good thing. All those little bits of string and fabric would just clog and mess up the printer, and / or the cutter would wear out really fast. See above...you don't want to wear the cutter out. Razor blades are cheaper than printer repair from fabric debris or having to buy a new cutter assembly.

Pages: [1]   Go Up