Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Finally Did it! Got me some MF Gear : RZ+DL28  (Read 13978 times)

gotspeed

Finally Did it! Got me some MF Gear : RZ+DL28
« on: May 19, 2010, 05:22:45 pm »

Still in the process of receiving all this, but I had to tell somebody  .  I picked up a RZ67ProII+110 f/2.8 and AFD3/Dl28 with both 80mm and 55mm.  I will need a telephoto for the afd, probably the 150 (d or not d?) . And and curious about the RZ, what lens would be a good studio portait lens? Is 110 too short? Of course I need this magic plate to put the aptus on the RZ... I know Leaf and Mamiya make one, which one would better?

Since I never shot an RZ, nor had MF back, I will most likely be over my head for some time. Hopefully, all the time reading this forum will come in useful.

Mark
« Last Edit: May 19, 2010, 05:28:31 pm by gotspeed »

fredjeang

« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2010, 05:25:47 pm »

Quote from: gotspeed
Still in the process of receiving all this, but I had to tell somebody  .  I Picked up a RZ67ProII+110 f/2.8 and AFD3/Dl28 with both 80mm and 55mm.  I will need a telephoto for the afd, probably the 150 (d or not d?) . And and curious about the RZ, what lens would be a good studio portait lens? Is 110 too short? Of course I need this magic plate to put the aptus on the RZ... I know Leaf and Mamiya make one, which one would better?

Since I never shot an RZ, nor had MF back, i might be overmyhead for some time. But I didn't spend all this time reading this forum for nothing I hope.

Mark
As we say in spanish: enahorabuena! and in french: Félicitations!

Cheers.

gotspeed

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2010, 05:30:21 pm »

Let's see if my schooling was any good, fine hour? Nope bad guess, it's congrats! Thanks

Quote from: fredjeang
As we say in spanish: enahorabuena! and in french: Félicitations!

Cheers.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2010, 05:34:59 pm by gotspeed »

terence_patrick

• http://www.terencepatrick.com
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2010, 05:44:58 pm »

Hard to beat the 140mm Mamiya lens. 110 is a great all around lens, good in the studio if you have room to back up a bit.

gotspeed

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2010, 06:07:59 pm »

Thanks Terence,

i haven't done the mental cruching, but it seems people are referring to 1.5x crop on the RZ vs 645.  So 140mm in is about 105  and the 110m is 80mm in terms of 35mm. It's also a macro as well.  This could work for close up/head shots..

Quote from: terence_patrick
Hard to beat the 140mm Mamiya lens. 110 is a great all around lens, good in the studio if you have room to back up a bit.

gotspeed

« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2010, 07:44:12 pm »

Looking through some old posts,  ixpressraf likes the rz 140 and 150 as well... What would be main diffs. Just get 'em both..

Quote from: terence_patrick

Steve Hendrix

• http://www.captureintegration.com/
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2010, 09:18:03 pm »

Still in the process of receiving all this, but I had to tell somebody  .  I picked up a RZ67ProII+110 f/2.8 and AFD3/Dl28 with both 80mm and 55mm.  I will need a telephoto for the afd, probably the 150 (d or not d?) . And and curious about the RZ, what lens would be a good studio portait lens? Is 110 too short? Of course I need this magic plate to put the aptus on the RZ... I know Leaf and Mamiya make one, which one would better?

Since I never shot an RZ, nor had MF back, I will most likely be over my head for some time. Hopefully, all the time reading this forum will come in useful.

Mark

Congatulations Mark - you have a nice versatile assemblage of camera platforms, lots of directions for you to journey from.

Here's a link to a quick comparison test of Mamiya/Phase One 120mm/f4, 150mm/f3.5, 150mm/f2.8 (D):

http://www.captureintegration.com/tests/lens/

The 150mm/f3.5 is a bargain, you can see it does sharpen up nicely by f5.6, but the 150mm/f2.8 D gives you nearly an extra stop, shallower depth of field, and clears up a lot of the purple. And it's sharper at f2.8 than the non D 150mm is at f3.5. So really, you're gaining more than a stop in actual usability.

Steve Hendrix
Steve Hendrix • 404-543-8475 www.captureintegration.com (e-mail Me)
Phase One | Leaf | Leica | Alpa | Cambo | Sinar | Arca Swiss

shutay

• http://www.asiaphotohub.com/Jason/
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2010, 09:28:59 pm »

Still in the process of receiving all this, but I had to tell somebody  

Woo-hoo! Congratulations! Enjoy your new kit! On the RZ, your crop factor should be almost 1.5x (slightly less) with the DL28.

gotspeed

« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2010, 09:32:59 pm »

Thanks Steve,

Now about that adapter...  I assume leaf dealers have them? Anybody doesn't need theirs anymore?

Quote from: Steve Hendrix
Congatulations Mark - you have a nice versatile assemblage of camera platforms, lots of directions for you to journey from.

Here's a link to a quick comparison test of Mamiya/Phase One 120mm/f4, 150mm/f3.5, 150mm/f2.8 (D):

http://www.captureintegration.com/tests/lens/

The 150mm/f3.5 is a bargain, you can see it does sharpen up nicely by f5.6, but the 150mm/f2.8 D gives you nearly an extra stop, shallower depth of field, and clears up a lot of the purple. And it's sharper at f2.8 than the non D 150mm is at f3.5. So really, you're gaining more than a stop in actual usability.

Steve Hendrix

Steve Hendrix

• http://www.captureintegration.com/
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2010, 09:45:51 pm »

Thanks Steve,

Now about that adapter...  I assume leaf dealers have them? Anybody doesn't need theirs anymore?

We don't have any used in stock, unfortunately....especially since they have dramatically increased in price (for new units). I don't believe there is any difference between a Mamiya or Leaf version.

I'll keep a lookout, though.

Steve Hendrix
« Last Edit: May 19, 2010, 09:46:18 pm by Steve Hendrix »
Steve Hendrix • 404-543-8475 www.captureintegration.com (e-mail Me)
Phase One | Leaf | Leica | Alpa | Cambo | Sinar | Arca Swiss

gotspeed

« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2010, 09:46:00 pm »

Got it from a rich dentist .

Quote from: shutay
Woo-hoo! Congratulations! Enjoy your new kit! On the RZ, your crop factor should be almost 1.5x (slightly less) with the DL28.

gotspeed

« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2010, 09:49:29 pm »

I see, i read somplace that the viewfinder mask& cable is included with leaf but not mamiya?

We don't have any used in stock, unfortunately....especially since they have dramatically increased in price (for new units). I don't believe there is any difference between a Mamiya or Leaf version.

Steve Hendrix

gotspeed

« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2010, 02:46:02 am »

I decided to add 120 macro and the 150 f/3.5 for now.  JR was talking about 150 being kind long on the cropped backs. Since 120 is shorter and sharper, it's a nice to have, but I think I want to have AF option as well, even if it has to be stopped down for best results. Will the 110LS work on a afdiii?  I'm thinking maybe eventually of getting  a DF body , so if I were to get a D lens, it would make sense to get the 110 instead of 150  be with that in mind.

if I ever get the adapter might get the 140/150 for the RZ. Maybe I'll shoot some film with it? One time I was in a lab and an older gentleman brought a negative for a reprint.   They scanned it on the mini-dlab, and i was really impressed with the depth/feel of the environmental portrait.  It really stood out despite the low res scan, that's why I asked where it came from, it was a 6x7.

I think im getting too far ahead..
« Last Edit: May 20, 2010, 02:59:37 am by gotspeed »

MarkoRepse

• www.markorepse.com
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2010, 02:54:40 am »

I recently purchased one of the Leaf RZ adapters, viewfinder mask as well as both (though you need just one) sync cables are included. I can't comment on the Mamiya adapter as I haven't used one. As for lenses, I'm currently using just the 110mm and find it great for portraits (on an Aptus22), of course it also depends on your style of shooting. I also hear great things (but haven't used one) about the 180mm, though I'm personally tempted by the 210mm APO. It should be a little long for indoors, however. Unfortunately my rental place does not have one to test.

fredjeang

« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2010, 03:09:55 am »

Let's see if my schooling was any good, fine hour? Nope bad guess, it's congrats! Thanks
Your schooling was indeed perfect.  

Lawrie_Hope

• Peartreephoto
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2010, 04:34:35 am »

Steve Hendrix

Don't Know if this is still relevant, but the Mamiya adaptor, which was made for the ZD had contacts on it, which if used with the Leaf backs meant the battery in the RZ drained VERY quickly, but it did allow you to use the metered prism I believe. The work-around was to slightly rotate the adaptor plate when you weren't shooting so the contacts weren't touching.

Welcome to the family!

Lawrie Hope
London, UK
Peartree

http://www.peartreephotoshop.co.uk

RobertJ

« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2010, 05:58:00 am »

Well, you definitely don't want the electronic adapter.  You should get this one: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/6050...dapter_Kit.html , the product number is the same as the Leaf adapter, so I'm assuming they're identical, whether you get it from Leaf or Mamiya.  

Holy hell, it's $1,600.  I remember a few months ago it was way cheaper.  And a year ago, I could've sworn it was $500 or something.  Maybe I'm dreaming.  What are you medium format companies smoking?  The RZ used to be the CHEAP and excellent camera to use a digital back with, now a simple adapter costs as much as a Canon 7D.  A$$holes.

I'd look on eBay.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2010, 05:59:13 am by T-1000 »

ondebanks

« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2010, 06:08:35 am »

Congrats on your new kit!

Re. the M645 short teles...remember that all versions of the 120 f4 macro are manual focus (even the "AF" ones). So if that's not a deal killer, consider the manual focus 150mm f2.8 A lens as well. For 20% of the cost of a 150mm f2.8 D lens (check e.g. KEH right now...they're unbelievably undervalued if you ask me), this thoroughly outperforms the 150mm f3.5 (any version) and is just as fast as the D lens. Although not labelled as an APO, it was a relatively late design (early 1990s) for the M645 system and it does have some type of ULD glass, with a very low degree of aberration. (The same applies to the 120mm macro: not labelled ULD or APO, just A; but regarded as delivering APO-like performance in practice). In fact I would not be surprised if the 150mm D lens is not the same optical formula as the A lens, just wrapped in AF mechanics; but I would have to research this a little harder to be sure.

It's a pity that Capture Integration didn't include the 150mm A lens in their test that Steve linked in this thread, but I guess that they were only focusing on lenses that can still be bought new.

BenNorton

• Benjamin Norton Photography
« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2010, 07:17:17 am »

I know that Peartree Rental have the adaptor for RZ to AFD in their second hand stock right now. They also have the etched RZ focusing screen for the 44x33mm chip size.

Give me a shout on my work address and i'm sure we can help.

ben.norton@peartreephoto.com
Architectural Photographer based in Louisville KY
Web

Frank Doorhof

• http://
« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2010, 07:24:29 am »

For the AFD look at the 105-210 I love that lens, or indeed the 150mm
For the RZ magic comes from 110, 140, 180
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up