Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: UPS capacity - how much?  (Read 3187 times)

PeterAit

• Peter Aitken Photographs
UPS capacity - how much?
« on: May 19, 2010, 05:11:29 pm »

Shouldn't a 1500 VA UPS (new and charged overnight) be able to power a Dell Studio XPS with 2 internal disks? Nothing else plugged in. According to the APC web site, this should be enough for the computer and 2 monitors and 2 external disks, but it won't power just the computer for even 5 seconds - the conputer oscillates on and off as if it was getting some but not enough power.

Bart_van_der_Wolf

UPS capacity - how much?
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2010, 06:01:45 pm »

Quote from: PeterAit
Shouldn't a 1500 VA UPS (new and charged overnight) be able to power a Dell Studio XPS with 2 internal disks?

Hi Peter,

Yes that should be enough to keep the system running for a while. There may be a technical malfuntion in the UPS.

Cheers,
Bart
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

B-Ark

UPS capacity - how much?
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2010, 06:12:11 pm »

That should be enough to power at least 2 computer systems.

As a test, unplug the computer, and plug in several table lamps totalling 300 watts, and see what happens.

PeterAit

• Peter Aitken Photographs
UPS capacity - how much?
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2010, 11:24:23 am »

Quote from: B-Ark
That should be enough to power at least 2 computer systems.

As a test, unplug the computer, and plug in several table lamps totalling 300 watts, and see what happens.

A call to APC solved the problem (I think). My Dell Studio XPS has a power supply that is particularly sensitive to the delay when switching to battery power. The original UPS has a delay of 8ms, too long. so I need one with a shorter delay (the Smart-UPS line from APC, 2-4 ms delay and more expensive of course!).
Pages: [1]   Go Up