Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Roller Marks on HP Z3200ps  (Read 2812 times)

RafaelDourado

Roller Marks on HP Z3200ps
« on: May 19, 2010, 04:51:12 pm »

Hi,

I am getting roller marks whenever a print has pure blacks.
I have called HP and researched the topic thoroughly, but was unable to find the cause of the problem.

According to information I found here in the forum, the Z3100 had a similar problem and the solution was to replace the black rollers with the softer tanned ones. But the Z3200 already comes with the tanned rollers and I am still getting the marks on large pure black areas of a print.

Here is a bit more info:
- The problem only shows on some thick, fine art papers and on large pure black areas.
Papers with identifiable marks: Canson Rag Photographique 310gsm, Canson Arches Velin 315gsm, Canson Arches BFK Rives 310gsm, Hahnemühle Fine Art Baryta.
The marks can not be seen in: Hahnemühle Photo Rag 308gsm, HP Premium Matte Photo Paper 215gsm.
- I use the presets downloaded from Hahnemülhe and Canson and I change the ink limit to 80 for all papers. I also create custom icc profiles for all papers.
- Changing the ink limit did not prevent the problem
- Changing the starwheels position (up or down) does not affect the problem
- I always print in the highest quality settings (more detail: on, more passes: on)
- The temperature varies between 15ºC and 25ºC
- Humidity varies between 20% and 60%
- The prints came out fine some time ago, the problem started out of the blue...

Can someone help?

Thanks.

tharrington

• Light Poet Studios
Re: Roller Marks on HP Z3200ps
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2010, 10:49:35 am »

Hello, did you ever find a solution to this problem... I didn't see any responses to your question.
Thank you,
Tripp

SergeyT

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2010, 06:08:00 pm »

Add z3200 (non-PS) with Hahnemuhle Photo Rag Baryta 315 to the list of affected combinations. I think I can see the star-wheel marks in "solid black" areas.
Star-wheel is up
Have not tried more drying time setting yet

chichornio

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2012, 06:34:28 pm »

Hey, some problem here! (Ernst, please help!) Never happened to me before, but I´m getting the same issue on Canson Baryta 310grs. I´ve used this paper before with no star wheels marks... but now it started to happen...Same profile, paper advanced calibration done, star wheels up, etc... Any clue?

foxyboy

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2012, 07:20:18 am »

Hello I did have that problem a long time ago and was able to fix it  by turning off more detail: , more passes:  hope this help.

Ernst Dinkla

« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2012, 06:01:01 am »

My use of Fiber/Baryta papers is limited for various reasons among them the strength of the surface. Not only in printing but also later on.

In theory: Humidity can be a cause I think and I am not sure whether faster or slower printing or different drying times help in this case. The star wheels will touch the paper surface, if all goes well the ink should flow back on the starwheel spots or is already absorbed in the paper when the starwheel points touch the paper. If the paper surface is softer due to humidity the starwheel points can penetrate further and ink needs longer to dry so the ink layer could be weaker. Curled paper may also give more pressure on the points. Most of you report that the problem was less or did not exist before. So something has changed. Could it be starwheel points that gathered ink in time and leave larger spots to be filled by the ink or marked on the not yet dry ink layer? Could it be that the starwheels running on the spring axles do not turn as easy as in the past and leave longer marks on the paper? Paper older and more curled?  In your case I would take the starwheel bar off and check the starwheels on dirt, ease of turning etc. A cloth wet with Windex on a table and the bar rolling over it to clean the points. Be careful they can be pulled out easily. Also check the starwheel bar raising mechanism of the printer. Is it moveable? Does it still raise the bar? As written I am not a fan of the Fiber qualities.

--
Met vriendelijke groet, Ernst

340+ paper white spectral plots:
http://www.pigment-print.com/spectralplots/spectrumviz_1.htm
update july 2012: Moab changes, paper sorting by name

kaelaria

• http://www.bgpictures.com
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2012, 11:35:21 pm »

I went through dozens of papers with this problem over the years and found it to simply be a function of humidity and paper choices.  Find those you like that work and stick with them.  The Z series simply does not have the feed capability to prevent it with the full range of choices.  I pretty much use the HP Pro Satin now for everything as it's perfect every time.

davidkachel

« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2012, 06:18:23 pm »

This problem also occurs with the B9180, 8850 and I presume the Z2100 and Z3100 as they are essentially all the same technology.

I solved this problem a couple of years ago, but HP didn't seem to care, neither did the paper manufacturers I contacted. And no one responded on the lists to which I posted this information. So, I figured if nobody noticed the problem or cared...!

The problem is simple. The ink is not yet dry in denser areas when it hits the wheels and therefore the wheels smudge it. It dries almost instantly after getting smudged, so the mark is quite permanent.

If HP gave a damn and provided software to control printing speed, the problem would be easily solved! But HP doesn't give a damn. (Everyone who is surprised, raise your hand.)

So; buy yourself a new handheld hair dryer. DO NOT use one you already own unless you want little hair fibers stuck all over your prints and all inside your printer. Get low, medium and high multiple speeds, and it is important that it have a "cool" button. This increases the flow, but at a lower temperature. Vidal Sassoon has a cool button. I don't know about other brands.

For the entire print process run the hair dryer back and forth, blowing into the paper exit slot, set on low and pressing the cool button. Use medium if low doesn't work.

This solution works 100% with all papers, all the time. All you have to do is stand there like an idiot blow drying your expensive printer for the entire process of every single print.

I finally threw the HP in the dumpster where it belongs and bought four Epsons.

I'll consider another HP printer only when I hear someone comment, "Gee, I wish Epson's driver software were as versatile as HP's!"
Pages: [1]   Go Up