Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: An issue with CaptureShop on Show Leopard, be aware!  (Read 1748 times)

evgeny

An issue with CaptureShop on Show Leopard, be aware!
« on: May 19, 2010, 01:41:43 am »

Hi,
I just lost all work I did this night. I was able to reproduce the problem, so here is the description:

Macbook Pro 2.8Ghz Alum 2009 (Identifier 5,2 Boot ROM Version:   MBP52.008E.B05 SMC Version (system): 1.42f4)
Apple Show Leopard 10.6.3 with all updates
CaptureShop 5.6.6

1. Shoot with your Sinarback and CaptureShop as usual.
2. Press the Delete button on some photos(s). I occasionally pressed the Deleted button instead of the Copy Gray Balance and lost all photos after the next step.
3. Select the image(s) in Snow Leopard Trash. Then click the right mouse button, and do Put Back. <--- Image(s) go to nowhere, and permanently lost.

Snow Leopard can't restore photos which were deleted in CaptureShop.
I tried everything to find lost images on my Macbook Pro, but had no luck.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2010, 02:07:13 am by evgeny »

bdp

• http://www.bendearnleyphotography.com
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2010, 03:11:25 am »

Do you use time machine? I have hourly backups during shooting in case anything like this happens.

Ben

evgeny

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2010, 06:06:52 am »

Quote from: bdp
Do you use time machine? I have hourly backups during shooting in case anything like this happens.

Ben

Well, that error was absolutely unexpected and I didn't backup these photos just after they were shot.

MartinWidmann

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2010, 11:09:36 am »

Quote from: evgeny
Well, that error was absolutely unexpected and I didn't backup these photos just after they were shot.
I deeply regret your lost images. CaptureShop uses the finder to trash images. So I would expect the finder to move them back correctly, if you tell him so.

But you are absolutely right. Using the put back option, the images vanish. Using drag-and-drop to move the images out of the trash works.

We will investigate this problem.

Martin
Martin Widmann
Employed by Sinar Photography AG / Switzerland, however the opinions I express are my own.

evgeny

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2010, 12:28:48 pm »

Hi Martin,

I tried Finder, both "session name" and .sti, the files were lost.
I also found that Trash show the Undo Move (after Put Back) option, but it doesn't help to get the lost files back.
Hope you will solve this.
Evgeny

Quote from: MartinWidmann
I deeply regret your lost images. CaptureShop uses the finder to trash images. So I would expect the finder to move them back correctly, if you tell him so.

But you are absolutely right. Using the put back option, the images vanish. Using drag-and-drop to move the images out of the trash works.

We will investigate this problem.

Martin

evgeny

« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2010, 11:45:39 am »

I just wanted to let the Sinar users know that Martin provided me with Unix commands to find the images on hard disk via terminal console, which Snow Leopard can't do via Put Back in the Finder.
Thanks Martin!

MartinWidmann

« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2010, 12:01:49 pm »

Quote from: evgeny
I just wanted to let the Sinar users know that Martin provided me with Unix commands to find the images on hard disk via terminal console, which Snow Leopard can't do via Put Back in the Finder.
Thanks Martin!
For explanation:

Because of problems with the Finder trash action on previous OS versions, CaptureShop first moves the files to a temporary folder on the disk. From there the files are trashed using the Finder. "Put back" from the trash does nothing else than to put the files back to the temporary folder. The files are not lost but obviously hidden.

We will investigate, if it is safe to put the files directly into the trash with the current OSes (10.5 / 10.6). If so, we will change CaptureShops behaviour in the next CaptureShop release.

Martin

Martin Widmann
Employed by Sinar Photography AG / Switzerland, however the opinions I express are my own.
Pages: [1]   Go Up