Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Capture One Custom Keyboard Shortcuts  (Read 9362 times)

Doug Peterson

• http://www.doug-peterson.com
Capture One Custom Keyboard Shortcuts
« on: May 17, 2010, 01:07:52 pm »

Custom Keyboard Shortcuts

Capture One allows the user to easily customize the default set of keyboard shortcuts. After repeated requests we are releasing our internal Capture Integration recommended Custom Keyboard Shortcut list. These are intended to increase the speed of your workflow.

Featured Shortcuts

Editing
After editing through your images with 1 through 5 star ratings or a green (+), yellow (*), or red (-) colors you can select the images with those ratings/colors by holding option and the corresponding rating/color. So for instance you can select all 5 star images by pressing Option-5. Combine this with the default Option-J command to copy selected images to the move to folder and you have a very fast means of sorting images into a separate physical folder.

Quick Adjustments
Use the standard shortcuts Apple-Left and Apple-Right to switch between images and the custom shortcuts [ and ] to adjust the exposure up and down 1/10th of a stop.

Create Black and White versions of all images in a folder
Use Apple-A to select all images. Use F3 to create a clone variant of all images. Use Apple-Shift-I to invert the selection. Set the saturation to Zero or select one of Capture Integration's B+W Styles. Use tilda (`) to bring up the adjustment keyboard and check or uncheck the relevant settings for the b+w style (e.g. just saturation, or ICC-profile/contrast/vignette/clarity). Push Enter to apply the changes to all the variants. Now use Apple-Option-< and Apple-Option-> to show or hide the black and white variants.

Read More About and Download our Capture One Keyboard Shortcuts

Doug Peterson
Newsletter: Read Latest or Sign Up
RSS Feed: Subscribe
Buy Capture One at 10% off
Personal Work
« Last Edit: May 17, 2010, 01:12:18 pm by dougpetersonci »

Baxter

• http://www.baxterbradford.com
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2010, 02:46:55 pm »

Thanks Doug

I've just started to get keen on learning shortcuts. Having downloaded the plist file and followed your instructions, there isn't a Keyboard shortcuts file in my Appn support folder. Made one, but then C1Pro didn't see the keyboard shortcut set and let it appear in the drop down menu.

I looked in Appn Support>C1 but didn't see keyboard shortcut folder there either. Hope I'm not being an idiot and missing something obvious. Your efforts are much appreciated.

Best wishes

Bax

Doug Peterson

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2010, 03:35:13 pm »

Quote from: Baxter
I've just started to get keen on learning shortcuts. Having downloaded the plist file and followed your instructions, there isn't a Keyboard shortcuts folder in my Appn support folder. Made one, but then C1Pro didn't see the keyboard shortcut set and let it appear in the drop down menu.

Bax, I've revised the instructions. I didn't notice before that C1 does not create the folder by default, but only upon demand when you create a custom set of keyboard shortcuts.

Thanks for pointing out the error / lack of clarity.

Take another look and let me know how it goes for you.

Doug Peterson
Personal Work

gwhitf

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2010, 04:17:41 pm »

Douglas,

You need to call these guys, and have them whip you up one of those keyboard overlays on styrene, complete with the CI logo in the corner.

http://www.swiss-miss.com/2010/05/yes-were-sorry-were.html

Party favors.

Baxter

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2010, 04:26:36 pm »

That works fine now Doug. I can select your Capture Integration set and furthermore have done so!

There's a lot for me to take in, especially since I'm busy with other tasks. The shortcuts I really want are to have a keystroke to select the main control panels, Quick, Exposure, Details, Lens etc Thus WB can be adjusted when in Composition using Shift +, but you don't get to see the slider position.

Thanks again

Bax

Doug Peterson

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2010, 05:56:35 pm »

Quote from: Baxter
There's a lot for me to take in, especially since I'm busy with other tasks. The shortcuts I really want are to have a keystroke to select the main control panels, Quick, Exposure, Details, Lens etc Thus WB can be adjusted when in Composition using Shift +, but you don't get to see the slider position.

Not positive I fully understand what you're saying.

But Apple-Option-1, Apple-Option-2 [etc] can select the first, second [etc] tabs. Usually these would be the library, camera, quick [etc] though since you can customize the tabs themselves this can vary.

Baxter

« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2010, 01:22:22 am »

That was it thanks! Apple Opt Number.... Superb!

FlashDB

• http://
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2010, 04:49:25 am »

Thanks Dough

I personally use Menu Master (link: http://unsanity.com/haxies/menumaster)
It allows me to change or remove menu shortcut keys in any application or set shortcuts to any menu item that had no shortcuts, or remove shortcuts from menu items.
I can have the same shortcuts for all my apps.

/David

Steve Hendrix

• http://www.captureintegration.com/
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2010, 12:48:27 pm »

Quote from: FlashDB
Thanks Dough

I personally use Menu Master (link: http://unsanity.com/haxies/menumaster)
It allows me to change or remove menu shortcut keys in any application or set shortcuts to any menu item that had no shortcuts, or remove shortcuts from menu items.
I can have the same shortcuts for all my apps.

/David

I can personally vouch for the Unsanity products. No affiliation, just an experienced user. They work great, are reasonably priced, and I've never had a single issue with any of them (I have used MenuMaster, FruitMenu, WindowShade, Shapeshifter). Doesn't mean no one ever has, but I have not. There's been quite a delay waiting for Snow Leopard compatibility, but it appears some of the products have now been updated.

Steve Hendrix
Steve Hendrix • 404-543-8475 www.captureintegration.com (e-mail Me)
Phase One | Leaf | Leica | Alpa | Cambo | Sinar | Arca Swiss

tho_mas

« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2010, 05:17:15 pm »

Doug, thanks for sharing.

I tryed to understand the underlying idea of this shortcut set… but to me it seems to be a bit cumbersome as very basic shortcuts are spread all over the keyboard and the use of "apple" and "option" is not really consistent. It's pretty much based on the default setup of C1 if I am not mistaken.

If you are right-hander, i.e. operate the mouse with the right hand, I think it's more practical when all the shortcuts can be accessed by the left hand.
Too, shortcuts belonging together (like zoom in/zoom out | next/previous etc.) should be placed side by side (for instance zoom out: 1 and zoom in: 2 or in: i, out: o … or whatever you prefer).

Too, why not change all the show/hide shortcuts to either only "Apple" or only "Option", like this:

Option T - toggle tools
Option B - toggle browser
Option V - toggle viewer
Option G - toggle guides
Option F - toggle focus mask
Option E - toggle exposure warning
___
ctrl T - toggle toolbar
ctrl V - show 2. viewer

Customizeable shortcuts and customizeable tool tabs are a real strength of C1 as it makes the workflow really fast.
FWIW here's my keyboard setup … all shortcuts are accessable with the left hand.
I'd appreciate if others would share their keyboard as there is always something to improve…

[attachment=22083:c1_shortcuts.jpg]

Doug Peterson

« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2010, 06:11:24 pm »

Quote from: tho_mas
I tryed to understand the underlying idea of this shortcut set… but to me it seems to be a bit cumbersome as very basic shortcuts are spread all over the keyboard and the use of "apple" and "option" is not really consistent. It's pretty much based on the default setup of C1 if I am not mistaken.

If you are right-hander, i.e. operate the mouse with the right hand, I think it's more practical when all the shortcuts can be accessed by the left hand.
Too, shortcuts belonging together (like zoom in/zoom out | next/previous etc.) should be placed side by side (for instance zoom out: 1 and zoom in: 2 or in: i, out: o … or whatever you prefer).

Too, why not change all the show/hide shortcuts to either only "Apple" or only "Option", like this:

Option T - toggle tools
Option B - toggle browser
Option V - toggle viewer
Option G - toggle guides
Option F - toggle focus mask
Option E - toggle exposure warning
___
ctrl T - toggle toolbar
ctrl V - show 2. viewer

Customizable shortcuts and customizable tool tabs are a real strength of C1 as it makes the workflow really fast.

Thomas,

I'm consistently amazed at how similarly you and I think to each other.

One of my goals here was to change as few defaults as possible, and stick instead mostly to adding shortcuts where there were not any and changing the ones I think are really really far off the mark. So for instance I did change the default of "increase/decrease exposure" from option Option Apple Plus/Minus to [ and ].

Thomas: you are probably the best example of a user to whom our shortcut list is NOT targeted :-). You already know the functionality of customizing shortcuts and have enough interest and experience to use that functionality to customize to your specific needs (which is the entire point of customization!). Hopefully you got something from reading through our list. Maybe Copy-And-Apply as one keyboard stroke (tilda)? Or maybe option-# for edit-select-by-rating. Or maybe clear-color-tag using forward slash (because its near the + - and * on an extended keyboard). Or maybe you learned nothing - you are one of the most advanced users I know of.

This is, just like our custom Styles, meant first and foremost to highlight the possibilities. I want nothing more than for power users to take them tear them up, and do a better job (for their specific needs) themselves.

Regarding changing defaults... I played with having all show/hide be option key based and to move more shortcuts to the left hand. But by changing a lot of defaults you have four disadvantages:
1) larger learning/relearning curve
2) other users of your C1 (including assistants of digital techs) may be VERY disoriented
3) using a new, borrowed, or rental computer becomes increasingly frustrating
4) future C1 versions may add a shortcut that makes you rethink the shortcut you changed

Of course...
1) we spend a lot of time on our computers and a shortcut that saves time here and there is worth a learning curve
2) other users of your computer can change to the default shortcuts in literally seconds.
3) you can put your custom shortcuts on a USB stick and apply them to a new/rental/borrowed computer in seconds
4) you can deal with that if/when it happens

These kinds of arguments are why its so awesome that Capture One allows you to customize just about every part of the program. Rather than having to go with the defaults which usually come from the least common denominator you can really gut the manufacturer's defaults and custom to your needs. It takes an hour or two but saves huge time in the long run.

Doug Peterson
Personal Work

tho_mas

« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2010, 06:05:31 pm »

Quote from: dougpetersonci
One of my goals here was to change as few defaults as possible, and stick instead mostly to adding shortcuts where there were not any and changing the ones I think are really really far off the mark.
Doug,

makes sense - thanks for the feedback!
Pages: [1]   Go Up