Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Printing on canvas with Epson 3880  (Read 8284 times)

bruceinalaska

Printing on canvas with Epson 3880
« on: May 16, 2010, 08:07:47 pm »

I would like to print on Moab's Anasazi matte canvas using the Epson 3880. I plan to manage color from within Photoshop, but still need to specify a media that will set ink to matte and also an approximate platten width. Do you have any recommendations?

Also, will I be able to feed the canvas through the rear feed, or do I need to use the front feed?

Thanks,
Bruce

dgberg

• http://bergsprintstudio.com http://bergscustomfurniture.com
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2010, 08:15:27 pm »

Go to Moabs web site and you can download the proper icc profile. It is the first one listed. The media setting should be Ultra Premium Presentation Matte. Open the platten to its widest. You probably will not get the canvas to feed unless you tape  the canvas to a leader sheet.  I recall it is the rear feeder position for this media but maybe someone else could jump in and confirm that.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2010, 08:15:59 pm by Dan Berg »

BobFisher

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2010, 10:50:16 am »

Unless the canvas is quite thick, adjusting the platen gap shouldn't be necessary.  

Getting the canvas to feed will be a bit more difficult.  Taping a leader can be hit and miss.  So can other methods, for that matter.  Drop the canvas into the rear feeder slot.  When it hits the bottom, use both hands on the front of the canvas (use gloves if you're worried about oil from your hands affecting the print), positioned down into the slot as far as you can (be careful because if you're too far down, you could get your fingers nipped by the rollers) and apply gentle downward pressure on the canvas to help it catch in the rollers.  You may have to try a few times.  Works for me and I get the sheets to take up on first try about 80% of the time now.  I position my hands backwards so my knuckles are on the paper beause it's a bit more comfortable than turning them palm in.

It'd be nice if these printers could take the full 17" width through the front, straight through path because that would make loading the canvas much easier but, alas, the straight through path only accepts 16" wide stock.

bruceinalaska

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2010, 04:00:50 pm »

Thanks, Dan and Bob, for the advice.

Quote from: BobFisher
Unless the canvas is quite thick, adjusting the platen gap shouldn't be necessary.  

Getting the canvas to feed will be a bit more difficult.  Taping a leader can be hit and miss.  So can other methods, for that matter.  Drop the canvas into the rear feeder slot.  When it hits the bottom, use both hands on the front of the canvas (use gloves if you're worried about oil from your hands affecting the print), positioned down into the slot as far as you can (be careful because if you're too far down, you could get your fingers nipped by the rollers) and apply gentle downward pressure on the canvas to help it catch in the rollers.  You may have to try a few times.  Works for me and I get the sheets to take up on first try about 80% of the time now.  I position my hands backwards so my knuckles are on the paper beause it's a bit more comfortable than turning them palm in.

It'd be nice if these printers could take the full 17" width through the front, straight through path because that would make loading the canvas much easier but, alas, the straight through path only accepts 16" wide stock.
Pages: [1]   Go Up