Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 7900 Problem  (Read 2108 times)

Scott O.

• Photography by Scott and Joyce
7900 Problem
« on: May 16, 2010, 12:35:06 pm »

My 7900 seems to have developed problems.  The prints are much duller and less saturated that what I see on the monitor.  Yes, I know there is a significant difference between transmitted  and reflected colors.  And yes, the monitor is calibrated and the printer is profiled, both numerous times.  I am beginning to wonder is I don't have an ink feed problem.  I replaced the light light black cart yesterday.  While I was doing that, I took out all the others and gave them a bit of a shake.  They are all original and felt very light, much like the one I just replaced.  But all show 1/2 to 1/3 ink remaining.  I have printed quite a bit, and the ink levels according to the monitor don't seem to be changing.  Could the monitor be incorrect and the carts actually almost empty, affecting print quality?  Nozzle checks are OK and I see no problems with the prints other than what I mentioned.  I am really at a loss to explain this one, and would appreciate any insight you might give me...

Ken

• http://kenschuster.com
7900 Problem
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2010, 01:25:45 pm »

Quote from: soberle
I am beginning to wonder is I don't have an ink feed problem.

My guess is that if your nozzle check is looking good, then your ink is feeding appropriately. Do you compare current nozzle checks against old nozzle checks? Do you examine your nozzle checks with a magnifier? (I got a big surprise the first time I did that.)

Have you compared a previous print to a current print from the same file, using the same profile, printer settings, media type and paper? Have you compared your blank current paper and previous paper to see if the base color is the same?

dgberg

• http://bergsprintstudio.com http://bergscustomfurniture.com
7900 Problem
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2010, 02:03:35 pm »

Just curious what paper you are using and a quick run down on your settings.
Do not have and answer either but your settings are a starting point that may give way to a clue.
Don't change those carts out until the printer actually stops or you will be throwing ink away without cause.(I'm sure you knew that.)
« Last Edit: May 16, 2010, 02:09:35 pm by Dan Berg »

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
7900 Problem
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2010, 03:28:26 pm »

I don't think what you describe would be caused by an ink feeding issue. More typically you would see banding or prints that are quite off color depending on which colors and nozzles are affected.  The cartridges do feel pretty light as they get down to the 10% level, and in fact when the printer tells you the cartridge is empty on the panel you probably actually ha e  about 10% remaining. I belie eve most of us wait till the printer stops and tells you to change the ink.

This sounds more like what happens with a profile/media mismatch or just a bad profile.  I've also seen a few cases where the media is being printed on the wrong side which is easy to do with some papers (done it myself a few times).

When you say things don't match I assume you are comparing to the soft proof mode on the display?

Scott O.

7900 Problem
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2010, 02:37:31 pm »

Here is the info:

Ken: I have carefully checked the nozzle test including with a magnifier.  They look good. Previous and current prints look the same, somewhat darker than the screen image and lacking vibrancy.

Dan: Using Epson Exhibition Fiber paper with all Epson recommended settings, including all Epson recommended settings (printer settings dialog and advanced media control dialog).  I have used 2 profiles, Epson's and multiple versions with a ColorMunki.  Results are the same with all profiles.  In LR, print resolution 300, standard sharpening, glossy media, correct profile selected, perceptual rendering.

Wayne: A profile/media mismatch came to mind, but I have printed many different ways (including 2 different profiles) and results are the same.  I generally print from Lightroom, but have also printed from Photoshop.  I do not soft proof (maybe in LR 3?) but have soft proofed from Photoshop.  Still quite a bit of difference between the screen and the print printing from Photoshop.  Monitor has been calibrated numerous times with the ColorMunki, results always the same.

Interestingly, it helps to add 1/2 stop exposure to the final print, but still not too good.  I am relatively new to using Exhibition Fiber, so maybe this is a trait of the paper. I'll go back and do some tests with Moab Entrada, as I don't remember having this problem with it.

natas

7900 Problem
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2010, 03:29:00 pm »

Here is the info:

Ken: I have carefully checked the nozzle test including with a magnifier.  They look good. Previous and current prints look the same, somewhat darker than the screen image and lacking vibrancy.

Dan: Using Epson Exhibition Fiber paper with all Epson recommended settings, including all Epson recommended settings (printer settings dialog and advanced media control dialog).  I have used 2 profiles, Epson's and multiple versions with a ColorMunki.  Results are the same with all profiles.  In LR, print resolution 300, standard sharpening, glossy media, correct profile selected, perceptual rendering.

Wayne: A profile/media mismatch came to mind, but I have printed many different ways (including 2 different profiles) and results are the same.  I generally print from Lightroom, but have also printed from Photoshop.  I do not soft proof (maybe in LR 3?) but have soft proofed from Photoshop.  Still quite a bit of difference between the screen and the print printing from Photoshop.  Monitor has been calibrated numerous times with the ColorMunki, results always the same.

Interestingly, it helps to add 1/2 stop exposure to the final print, but still not too good.  I am relatively new to using Exhibition Fiber, so maybe this is a trait of the paper. I'll go back and do some tests with Moab Entrada, as I don't remember having this problem with it.

Go to the advanced setting (not in front of mine so this may not be the area) and check the density %, maybe you accidentally dropped it.

Scott O.

7900 Problem
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2010, 05:43:45 pm »

Density 12%, which as I recall is what Epson recommends for that paper.

Ken

• http://kenschuster.com
7900 Problem
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2010, 12:59:25 pm »

Ken: I have carefully checked the nozzle test including with a magnifier. They look good. Previous and current prints look the same, somewhat darker than the screen image and lacking vibrancy.

I haven't seen an update to this issue. Has it been resolved?

Coincidentally, today I took for granted that everything was working as usual, and sent an image to the printer... turned out looking almost colorless. No problems with print-monitor disparity for months of almost daily printing. Started troubleshooting and thinking about where I had last seen my sledge hammer. I went to the profiles folder in Windows XP (C:\WINDOWS\system32\spool\drivers\color) and saw that the profile was there. For the heck of it, I right clicked and saw "INSTALL" instead of "UNINSTALL". I installed it again. Of course I never uninstalled it. Just one of the daily puzzles to solve, courtesy of Windows, I guess.
Pages: [1]   Go Up