Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Need cable to use a P31+ for pinhole  (Read 2096 times)

chunin

Need cable to use a P31+ for pinhole
« on: May 15, 2010, 03:24:22 pm »

I want to do some pinhole photography with my P30+ but need a cable that I can use to fire the back and keep it on doing long exposures.  I have found about the so called wakeup cable but there is no detailed explanation of what it does and even less info on how it looks like.  If I can see it then surely I can tell how it works and if it is suitable for my needs.  I hace something  like a remote cord equivalent of a regular camera.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2010, 03:43:06 pm by chunin »

Dick Roadnight

« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2010, 03:33:49 pm »

Quote from: chunin
I want to do some pinhole photography with my P31+ but need a cable that I can use to fire the back and keep it on doing long exposures.  I have found about the so called wakeup cable but there is no detailed explanation of what it does and even less info on how it looks like.  If I can see it then surely I can tell how it works and if it is suitable for my needs.  I hace something  like a remote cord equivalent of a regular camera.
Could you use a shutter with no lens?

It seems from the Schneider drawings that the shutter is attached to the lensboard if you have no lens.
Hasselblad H4, Sinar P3 monorail view camera, Schneider Apo-digitar lenses

chunin

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2010, 03:41:40 pm »

Actually I don't even need a shutter.  I just need a cable that can connect to the back and fire it.  It can be an electronic switch or mechanical.  Does not make a difference.  If anyone know the connection pins on the back and where I can get a connector I can make my own cable.

Quote from: Dick Roadnight
Could you use a shutter with no lens?

It seems from the Schneider drawings that the shutter is attached to the lensboard if you have no lens.

Ken Doo

• Carmel Fine Art Printing & Reproduction
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2010, 10:17:14 pm »

This sounds like something perfect for Doug Peterson's over at Capture Integration.....

877-217-9870

JDG

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2010, 11:47:46 am »

I have a canon remote shutter cable that works brilliantly for this..  You press the release once to wake up the back and then press again and lock the release for the timed exposure.  the Phase One wakeup cable works as well, however you cant lock the button down so you either have to hold it or tape it for long exposures. (the Phase One cable looks just like a normal lens sync cable except it has a button on it.   Other release that I have seen that fit the same mini jack connection are a Contax remote shutter cable and the Hasselblad H series remote shutter cable.  The key is that the pin hole needs to be covered when you start the exposure and when you stop the exposure, otherwise the image gets streaky.

Here is an interesting article I found using a copal shutter: http://www.directdigitalimaging.com/pinhole2.html

chunin

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2010, 03:20:19 pm »

But my p30+ does not have the mini plug connector type but a multi pin connector.  I do have the remotes for both Canon and Hasselblad but they would not fit the back.

Quote from: JDG
I have a canon remote shutter cable that works brilliantly for this..  You press the release once to wake up the back and then press again and lock the release for the timed exposure.  the Phase One wakeup cable works as well, however you cant lock the button down so you either have to hold it or tape it for long exposures. (the Phase One cable looks just like a normal lens sync cable except it has a button on it.   Other release that I have seen that fit the same mini jack connection are a Contax remote shutter cable and the Hasselblad H series remote shutter cable.  The key is that the pin hole needs to be covered when you start the exposure and when you stop the exposure, otherwise the image gets streaky.

Here is an interesting article I found using a copal shutter: http://www.directdigitalimaging.com/pinhole2.html
Pages: [1]   Go Up