Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: New EPSON 7900 drivers & Software for mac  (Read 6775 times)

dchew

• Dave Chew Photography
New EPSON 7900 drivers & Software for mac
« on: May 15, 2010, 07:26:07 am »

Epson posted new drivers and software dated 13 May.
Epson drivers

Netconfig & remote panel are now 10.6 compatible.

Dave

Jack Flesher

• www.getdpi.com
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2010, 10:19:40 am »

Quote from: dchew
Epson posted new drivers and software dated 13 May.
Epson drivers

Netconfig & remote panel are now 10.6 compatible.

Dave

So did you download them, and how did they work?

Jack
[url=http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/

dchew

• Dave Chew Photography
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2010, 04:09:12 pm »

Jack,

Yes I did download them.  For some strange reason Remote Panel has never run right on my machine.  I've got the printer connected via network and run Snow Leopard.  

Now all is well.  I was able to update the firmware via Firmware Updater for the first time.  I'm not sure what changes were made to the actual driver. I ran a test print and have not noticed a difference yet.  

My only issue was that it first recognized the printer as bonjour, so I searched and added the TCP/IP printer and deleted the bonjour printer.  That was probably driver error (me).

I'll be making a profile later today.  I'll let you know if that experience is any different...

Dave
« Last Edit: May 15, 2010, 08:41:43 pm by dchew »

john milich

Jack Flesher

• www.getdpi.com
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2010, 06:50:12 pm »

Interesting.  I am running Snow Leopard, and have the former version of remote Panel.  I am hooked up via USB and was able to update the March firmware via remote panel no problem.  So perhaps it was only a network issue?

What specifically is new in the print driver -- they indicated updated paper choices?
« Last Edit: May 15, 2010, 06:50:45 pm by Jack Flesher »
Jack

dchew

• Dave Chew Photography
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2010, 08:18:05 pm »

Profiling went fine w/ EyeMatch software.

Regarding what is different, I'm not really sure.  I don't remember exactly which papers used to be there, but it seems as though there are more.  The relatively new Hot Press / Cold Press papers are there.  See screen shot below...

I don't think the problem I had was universal.  There was just something amiss in my hardware/software.  I did a clean install last week, which is the reason I went to to get the driver in the first place.  The fix could have been my clean install, but it is curious that all the support applications have been updated and now say 10.6 compatible.

[attachment=22008:EpsonDriverSS.jpg]
« Last Edit: May 15, 2010, 08:28:33 pm by dchew »

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2010, 01:00:03 am »

Note that the actual driver version number is unchanged (6.55) , implying there is nothing new in the actual driver itself.  I believe all this update does is modify the media presets.

jed best

« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2010, 08:41:10 am »

There is also a 10.6 updater for the 3880

Jack Flesher

• www.getdpi.com
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2010, 10:35:13 am »

Quote from: Wayne Fox
Note that the actual driver version number is unchanged (6.55) , implying there is nothing new in the actual driver itself.  I believe all this update does is modify the media presets.

Okay, that makes sense -- updated media settings for the newly added papers.

Edit: I just installed it and it looks like they added the profiles for those papers to the package as well -- before they were only available as stand-alones.

« Last Edit: May 17, 2010, 07:47:40 pm by Jack Flesher »
Jack

Jack Flesher

• www.getdpi.com
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2010, 07:47:50 pm »

Edit 2: Well the new interface is different, simpler, not as many customizable options for paper settings, and you either choose color match or color synch to manage color, that's it.   But most importantly when I went to print it wouldn't. Seriously, not kidding. It couldn't launch the new version of print watcher so nothing went to the printer. Anyway, you've been warned.  So I just finished spending 20 minutes unloading everything manually -- there is no "uninstall" -- and reloading the previous build of driver and utility.  Then I had to re-create all of my custom paper print presets.  What a PITA.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2010, 07:50:18 pm by Jack Flesher »
Jack

Farmer

« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2010, 11:14:58 pm »

Quote from: Jack Flesher
Edit 2: Well the new interface is different, simpler, not as many customizable options for paper settings, and you either choose color match or color synch to manage color, that's it.   But most importantly when I went to print it wouldn't. Seriously, not kidding. It couldn't launch the new version of print watcher so nothing went to the printer. Anyway, you've been warned.  So I just finished spending 20 minutes unloading everything manually -- there is no "uninstall" -- and reloading the previous build of driver and utility.  Then I had to re-create all of my custom paper print presets.  What a PITA.

Was this on a Mac?  Are you sure it didn't just end up with a GutenPrint driver in there somehow?
Phil Brown

Jack Flesher

• www.getdpi.com
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2010, 06:53:40 am »

Quote from: Farmer
Was this on a Mac?  Are you sure it didn't just end up with a GutenPrint driver in there somehow?

Yes Mac, and it was the 7900 driver not the Guten GUI -- it had all the papers, but a totally revised UI that eliminated the printer settings and roll paper dropdowns in the previous UI, replacing them with a couple combined funky panels. Plus, I could not find the advanced color settings panel to control ink density, drying time, etc. It was probably buried in there somewhere, but I needed to print so had to get the old build back in so did not spend a lot of time with it.

There was also a new "common updater" download on the driver site that I did NOT download because I didn't understand what it was for.  Perhaps I should have grabbed that too and run it?
« Last Edit: May 18, 2010, 07:00:46 am by Jack Flesher »
Jack

edt

• http://www.etimages.com
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2010, 09:55:11 am »

I'm running my 7900 with a Mac......and Imageprint. Given that I'm using Imageprint it sounds like there is no reason for me to update..?

Jack Flesher

• www.getdpi.com
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2010, 10:57:32 am »

Quote from: edt
I'm running my 7900 with a Mac......and Imageprint. Given that I'm using Imageprint it sounds like there is no reason for me to update..?

Here's my issue.  I can't believe Epson would put up a new driver that didn't work.  Ergo, I assume I must have done something wrong during installation.  However I did what they said to do.  I even tried re-installing the latest builds after nuking everything, but it still didn't work.  BUT, I did NOT use the "common updater" and maybe I should have?

Notwithstanding, I would wait until somebody confirms they have that driver and new remote panel/print watcher up and running on Mac 10.6.3 before I downloaded it...
Jack

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2010, 02:07:38 pm »

Here's my issue.  I can't believe Epson would put up a new driver that didn't work.  Ergo, I assume I must have done something wrong during installation.  However I did what they said to do.  I even tried re-installing the latest builds after nuking everything, but it still didn't work.  BUT, I did NOT use the "common updater" and maybe I should have?

Notwithstanding, I would wait until somebody confirms they have that driver and new remote panel/print watcher up and running on Mac 10.6.3 before I downloaded it...
Some odd things  ... unfortunately I'm out of town and can't test this myself till next week.  I installed it, but really can't test it without deleting the printer queue and creating a new one ... alas no printer available.  I'm puzzled your troubles  since the driver version has not changed, so all the "new" driver should should is replace itself with identical code except for the new paper presets.

Sven W

« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2010, 05:29:54 pm »

Quote from: edt

When printing with ImagePrint, you don't even need the printdriver.

/Sven
Stockholm, Sweden

Farmer

« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2010, 07:36:53 pm »

Quote from: Sven W
When printing with ImagePrint, you don't even need the printdriver.

/Sven

The common updater is supposed to deal with the remote panel and such running under snow leopard.  I'll be in the office tomorrow and see what I can test (I use Macs, but I'm not a Mac guy, so need to test it specifically to be sure).
Phil Brown

Photo Op

« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2010, 08:32:56 pm »

BUT, I did NOT use the "common updater" and maybe I should have?

Jack- I have the 3880 which has the same Common Updater. Expanded it states-

"This file adds Mac OS X 10.6 support to your currently installed Mac OS X driver. Note: This update does not change the version number of your currently installed driver."

So if you have the latest driver already installed, then the Common Updater would supply the needed components for 10.6 (3).
« Last Edit: May 18, 2010, 08:33:38 pm by Photo Op »
David

Jack Flesher

• www.getdpi.com
« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2010, 02:46:41 pm »

Update #3:

Okay, I cannot stand it when something isn't working and I had some free time today so I decided to experiment a bit further.  First off, I backed up my OS so I had an easy way to revert to a working state.  I now installed the "Common Updater."  It ran, and as far as I could tell it changed nothing.  THe package had the same contents, no new paper profiles and still printed as normal.  So far so good.

Next I held my breath and loaded the new driver. It ran.  Interesting note is after I dragged the disk image to the trash, the trash wouldn't empty as some EFP module is still being used. I had noticed this before and can confirm a computer restart clears whatever it is -- but it is disturbing.  Anyway, I can confirm this does indeed add the newest paper profiles.  Best part is I could still print normally AND the UI is present just as it was in prior form. Comforting.

So I bit my lip and ran the Remote Panel update.  This also ran normally, and added an App icon shortcut to the desktop.  I confirmed this was the same app as loaded in the remote panel 2 package.  Best part, the printer prints normally, at least as far as I can tell.  So success!

Conclusion: All I can assume is the Common Updater has to be installed for everything down the line to work properly.

One other FWIW.  I use Epson's Exhibition Fine Art paper on occasion.  The current Epson stand alone profile for it is very good, but requires you to use to create a custom media choice using Epson's PPP Luster paper and set up an increased ink density of +12% under advanced media control.  I have obviously done that and results are excellent.  However, now that paper is a media choice in the driver, we no longer need that -- at least I assume that, but have not printed a test print on it yet to confirm --  so just a head's up to modify that particular preset appropriately if you have one.
Jack

Farmer

« Reply #19 on: May 19, 2010, 09:49:57 pm »

Jack - same result here today in the office.  The common updater is required for Snow Leopard if you want full functionality it seems.
Phil Brown
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up