Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sinar eMotion 75 LV - eXposure reading CF cards  (Read 4538 times)

JerryReed

• jerry@jerryreed.net
    • http://jerryreed.net
Sinar eMotion 75 LV - eXposure reading CF cards
« on: May 13, 2010, 07:12:47 am »

Martin Widmann,

Thank you for your previous excellent responses to Hy6 & SINAR users.  Perhaps you could let me know what your thinking is on the two following questions:

Are you able to let us know when we may expect to be able to begin using CF cards for storage of images (again), instead of being limited to the internal storage of the eMotion 75?

What version of MAC operating system are you recommending with eMotion 75?  Is Snow Leopard fully compatible?

Jerry Reed

baudolino

« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2010, 01:01:18 pm »

Quote from: JerryReed
Martin Widmann,

Thank you for your previous excellent responses to Hy6 & SINAR users.  Perhaps you could let me know what your thinking is on the two following questions:

Are you able to let us know when we may expect to be able to begin using CF cards for storage of images (again), instead of being limited to the internal storage of the eMotion 75?

What version of MAC operating system are you recommending with eMotion 75?  Is Snow Leopard fully compatible?

Jerry Reed

While on this topic, Martin / Jerry, can you please let me know what precisely the problem is (i.e. how it shows up)? I have read the release notes to eXposure and was told by a Sinar rep there were some "incorrectly read pixels" but I am not sure that what I see in my files is what the problem relates to. I regularly use CF cards with no discernible problems, except sometimes very tiny white dots (maybe they are "dead pixels") which are only visible on 100% magnification (I only got alerted to these when some of my images were rejected by an image bank as they did not show in prints and in normal magnification on a 30" monitor). Are these the problems caused by reading files direct from CF cards? Many thanks, Martin

JerryReed

• jerry@jerryreed.net
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2010, 10:54:55 am »

BUMP

Martin,

Can you add anything?

Jerry

MartinWidmann

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2010, 02:02:43 pm »

Martin Widmann,

Jerry Reed
Hi Jerry,

I am sorry for you having problems with CF cards. There should not be a general problem in using CF cards. Some customers have reported problems with some specific cards. There seem to be compatibilty problems.

Unfortunately it is not easy to create a list of compatible cards, as the manufacturers of CF cards sometimes change their cards even within the same type. So one customer can work without any problems with card with the name "X" but another customer may find occasional problems. We need to find a solution in the specific case.

I guess your are in contact with the Sinar support already, are you? You can write me a person message if you want. I can check your case.

We are testing our software with the recent Leopard and Snow Leopard versions, i.e. 10.5.8 and 10.6.3. I don't see any problems in working with Snow Leopard.

Martin

Martin Widmann
Employed by Sinar Photography AG / Switzerland, however the opinions I express are my own.

JerryReed

• jerry@jerryreed.net
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2010, 03:23:21 pm »

Martin,

Thank you for your response.  I am using the SanDisk EXTREME III in the 16 GB size the is not the fastest card.  I was told by our Bron representative that this speed is compatible with the eMotion 75LV.

I hope that is the information that you will need.  Should you have additional questions; my email is shown below:

jerry@jerryreedphotography.com

baudolino

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2010, 04:36:38 pm »

Martin,

Thank you for your response.  I am using the SanDisk EXTREME III in the 16 GB size the is not the fastest card.  I was told by our Bron representative that this speed is compatible with the eMotion 75LV.

I hope that is the information that you will need.  Should you have additional questions; my email is shown below:

jerry@jerryreedphotography.com

I have no discernible problems using the following cards in the 75LV and converting/importing through eXposure:
Sandisk Extreme III 8GB
Sandisk Extreme IV 8GB
Sandisk Extreme IV 16GB
Lexar Professional UDMA 8GB 300x speed
pq 8GB 150x speed

I always shoot to internal storage first and periodically move images to CF before internal storage fills up. I do not shoot directly to CF.

JerryReed

• jerry@jerryreed.net
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2010, 08:26:30 am »

Martin,

Thank you for your insight that the interrupt that I was seeing was occasioned by the DB not seeing that the camera was awake.  I have no more problems with that interrupt.

Baudolino,

I have not  utilized your idea to spill over to the CF card images that have filled the internal drive in the eMotion 75.  This seems like a good idea.  And I have been able to read the files from the CF card when removed from the back and transferred to eXposure via a FW 800 card reader.

Jerry

Mitchell Baum

« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2010, 01:01:22 pm »

I am running eXposure 6.0.1 on Mac 10.5.8 for my Hy6.  I'm thinking of upgrading to Snow Leopard and eXposure 7.

What are the advantages of the upgrades, and what are the problems?

As I understand it, the problems of printing with Epson with Snow Leopard have been solved. Is this correct?

Thanks for any help.

Best,

Mitchell

JerryReed

• jerry@jerryreed.net
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2010, 05:01:23 am »

Mitchell,

I upgraded, but do not see any advantage as far as SINAR hardware or software products.

Jerry

Quote from: Mitchell Baum
I am running eXposure 6.0.1 on Mac 10.5.8 for my Hy6.  I'm thinking of upgrading to Snow Leopard and eXposure 7.

What are the advantages of the upgrades, and what are the problems?

As I understand it, the problems of printing with Epson with Snow Leopard have been solved. Is this correct?

Thanks for any help.

Best,

Mitchell

Mitchell Baum

« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2010, 08:20:30 pm »

Hi Jerry,

Thanks for your response. I take it to mean you are using Snow Leopard, and eXposure 7, and see no improvement for Sinar work?

But, no problems either?

Best,

Mitchell

JerryReed

• jerry@jerryreed.net
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2010, 11:13:08 pm »

Yes, I am not able to see any change that is attributable to the 64 bit operating system function of SL.

Yes, the problem that I was having with eXposure was operator error.  I had not realized that the back had to "see" that the camera was awake or I got an error.  Martin pointed out the source of the error, and I have mended my ways.

Jerry

Quote from: Mitchell Baum
Hi Jerry,

Thanks for your response. I take it to mean you are using Snow Leopard, and eXposure 7, and see no improvement for Sinar work?

But, no problems either?

Best,

Mitchell

bdp

• http://www.bendearnleyphotography.com
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2010, 12:13:52 am »

eXposure is much faster when using Snow Leopard - the multiple cores of the processor(s) are better utilised under SL so this really speeds up things like eXporting and rendering of high res zooms. The time to do these things is literally halved compared to Leopard.

I think if you're still on 6.01 you may not even have noise reduction and things like the detail window, correct? I would advise upgrading, 7.05 is very stable and fast. I also think there was a problem with colour management in SL until the recent update, because very dark areas would clip to black in the eXposure previews, that weren't clipped in the exported tiff. This problem no longer exists, but I don't know if it was Sinar or Apple who fixed it.

As far as 6 vs 7, here is the version log in the latest version read me file:

Version Log Sinar eXposureTM

Improvements with eXposure 7.0.5 (compared to 7.0.4)

a.   A memory leak is remedied in the firewire driver.

Improvements with eXposure 7.0.4 (compared to 7.0.3)

b.   Enhanced dng-EXIF-data compatibility with third party software.

Improvements with eXposure 7.0.3 (compared to 7.0.1)

a.   The Sinarback 54M is now fully supported. The issue when installing the CCD files from the CD for the Sinaback 54M / MC has been resolved.
b.   The following MF cameras are supported when using the Sinarback eSprit 65LV tethered with Firm- ware Version 1.041: Hasselblad V System Hasselblad H System Mamiya 645 AFD. For further information, details and restricitons for these cameras, please consult the ReadMe file of the Sinarback eSprit Firmware 1.041.
c. Various minor bugs have been fixed

Improvements with eXposure 7.0.1 (compared to 6.2)

a.   The reason for the kernel panics that happened on some models of the Apple Macintosh computers has been eliminated.
b.   DNG-files produced on a Sinarback eSprit 65 can now also be read directly from the CF card.
c.   Besides of the currently available profile for Flash- light, now also profiles for Tungsten- and Daylight are available when working with one of the Sinarbacks that are supported by Sinar eXposureTM (Sinarback eVolution 75 H, Sinarback eMotion 75/54 LV, Sinar- back eSprit 65 LV, and Sinarback 54 MC/M).
d.   The asymmetrical swing/tilt axes of a Sinar p3/p2/p view camera are displayed in the Live image window.
e.   In the Contact sheet, images captured in the 4-shot mode are marked accordingly.
f.   When working with a Sinarback eVolution 75 H or a Sinarback 54 MC/M the USB-Lens Interface by Schneider Kreuznach can be controlled from the user interface of Sinar eXposureTM. The shutter can be triggered direct from Sinar eXposure. Aperture and exposuretime has to be set from the Schneider Lens Control Software.
g.   When browsing over an image with the "Pipette" tool, the RGB-values are displayed beneath the pipette icon.
h.   There are several skins available for the GUI.
i.   Many small improvements have been implemented
j.   Various minor bugs have been fixed

Ben
« Last Edit: June 03, 2010, 12:44:04 am by bdp »

Mitchell Baum

« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2010, 08:38:12 am »

Ben and Jerry,

Thanks so much for your help, and for the great ice cream!    

I'm upgrading.

Best,

Mitchell

bdp

• http://www.bendearnleyphotography.com
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2010, 04:15:03 pm »

LOL! I have some Ben & Jerry's in my freezer.... it IS delicious ice cream.  

Ben
Pages: [1]   Go Up