Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Glacier National Park  (Read 4209 times)

mikev1

Glacier National Park
« on: May 13, 2010, 01:55:26 am »

Hello, I'm looking for some suggestions for shooting in Glacier National Park beyond the usual high profile spots.  I know some will say just go and explore and find your own spots but I only visit there once a year if lucky and I really want to make the most of my trip.  I live in Calgary and shoot in Banff all the time and I am at the point there that I just pick a spot and wander as I have that luxury but with Glacier it is different as I generally only have one or two days a year to spend down there.  I probably won't visit until early July.

Thanks for your insight.

Mike

Les Sparks

• http://www.ncsparks.com
Glacier National Park
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2010, 11:24:54 am »

If you're looking for an off the beaten path area in Glacier, visit Bowman Lake in the Northwest Corner of the park. You go through Polebridge Montana to get there.
The road to Polebridge is mostly dirt and the road into the park from Polebridge and the road in the park is, as the park service says, maintained in a primitive state. Bowman lake is a pretty alpine lake with a campground if you're interested in this part of the park. I've got a little bit of information about this area in my website
Glacier overview Bowman lake and Polebridge. Here's a little more information about Polebridge.

There is another lake, Kintla lake, in this part of the park. The road to Kintla lake is even worse than the one to Bowman. Fishing is said to be good there. But none of the guidebooks recommend a visit to Kintla lake.

Les

DarkPenguin

Glacier National Park
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2010, 02:33:41 pm »

All I know is that it is about $5k to get helicoptered from Logan's Pass to the hospital in Kalispell.  So I don't recommend that.

NashvilleMike

Glacier National Park
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2010, 02:55:26 pm »

Quote from: Les Sparks
If you're looking for an off the beaten path area in Glacier, visit Bowman Lake in the Northwest Corner of the park. You go through Polebridge Montana to get there.
The road to Polebridge is mostly dirt and the road into the park from Polebridge and the road in the park is, as the park service says, maintained in a primitive state. Bowman lake is a pretty alpine lake with a campground if you're interested in this part of the park. I've got a little bit of information about this area in my website
Glacier overview Bowman lake and Polebridge. Here's a little more information about Polebridge.

There is another lake, Kintla lake, in this part of the park. The road to Kintla lake is even worse than the one to Bowman. Fishing is said to be good there. But none of the guidebooks recommend a visit to Kintla lake.

Les

I'll second that - Bowman lake is supremely gorgeous, peaceful, quiet, and a very nice spot to photograph and just plain relax.
However, back in '92 when I was there last, the road to Bowman was "interesting" to say the least - I somehow made it, very slowly, in a rental car (wouldn't do that again), but it was rocks and large gravel for a lot of the way. Definitely would prefer a high clearance vehicle if I did it again. But it's absolutely worth the trip if you can manage it, no doubt.

I really liked the area around lake sherburne (not sure if I spelled that right) and the lodge up the road a bit from there in addition to the area around Logan Pass, but I think those are both pretty well known spots.

All in all, one of my very favorite national parks although I'm sure it's probably gotten more crowded since I was there last 18 years ago...

-m

Ken Bennett

• http://www.kenbennettphoto.com
Glacier National Park
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2010, 04:08:17 pm »

Quote from: DarkPenguin
All I know is that it is about $5k to get helicoptered from Logan's Pass to the hospital in Kalispell.  So I don't recommend that.

Wow. I started to laugh at this, but -- Wow. Hope everything turned out okay.

We did the usual spots in Glacier, but we were there for only 4 or 5 days. Our rule for big national parks is to get up and start hiking early, which avoids all the crowds.
Equipment: a camera and some lenses. https://www.instagram.com/wakeforestphoto/

mikev1

Glacier National Park
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2010, 11:30:29 pm »

Quote from: Les Sparks

Les

Thanks for the great suggestions.  Bowman Lake looks great.

Les Sparks

• http://www.ncsparks.com
Glacier National Park
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2010, 06:17:33 pm »

Mike
I think you might find the hike to Avalanche Lake worthwhile. It's an easy hike. The first part along Avalanche gorge is certainly worth the time. I suspect that the gorge should be full of water in July.
Les

vaphoto

• vaphoto site
Glacier National Park
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2010, 09:27:44 am »

Mike:
You might want to check out Issue #20 of the Photograph America Newsletter (Updated 11/2008) that covers in detail photography at Glacier. The website is: http://www.photographamerica.com/. You can purchase and download the PDF.

I have another thread running on Glacier, since we plan to be there in mid-june. I was reluctant to tag onto your request.

Hope you have a great trip
Bob
Bob
vaphoto

luong

• http://www.terragalleria.com
Glacier National Park
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2010, 11:28:52 pm »

I don't know if this is considered "high-profile" or not, but Grinnel Glacier Trail is a wonderful hike relatively out of the way that offers access to one of the remaining glaciers in the park, Grinnel Glacier.
QT Luong - author of http://TreasuredLandsBook.com, winner of 6 national book awards

thewanderer

Glacier National Park
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2010, 10:31:56 pm »

be aware of road work to logan pass from the west side

DarkPenguin

Glacier National Park
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2010, 11:21:07 pm »

Quote from: k bennett
Wow. I started to laugh at this, but -- Wow. Hope everything turned out okay.

We did the usual spots in Glacier, but we were there for only 4 or 5 days. Our rule for big national parks is to get up and start hiking early, which avoids all the crowds.
Things did (eventually) turn out fine.  Thank you.

Here is the thing.  On your way out for the day do not look at the helicopter pad and wonder what it would cost to get helicoptered out of there.  Just... no.
Pages: [1]   Go Up