Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Eye-One Match default setting?  (Read 2780 times)

mbalensiefer

Eye-One Match default setting?
« on: May 13, 2010, 01:53:34 am »

My X-Rite software asks me to turn up my contrast to 100% pre display calibration.

When I bring my contrast to 100%, before or even after profiling, even the darkest darks appear "grey."

Therefore, I think that when working on my images, I am likely over-contrasting my blacks--because when an image contains a relatively deep black, it will still appear "grey" onscreen.

Should I change my monitor to default settings and profile again?

Thank you!
Michael

Czornyj

• zarzadzaniebarwa.pl
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2010, 03:50:35 am »

Quote from: mbalensiefer
My X-Rite software asks me to turn up my contrast to 100% pre display calibration.

When I bring my contrast to 100%, before or even after profiling, even the darkest darks appear "grey."

Therefore, I think that when working on my images, I am likely over-contrasting my blacks--because when an image contains a relatively deep black, it will still appear "grey" onscreen.

Should I change my monitor to default settings and profile again?

Thank you!
Michael

A LCD display has only "artificial" contrast setting, so the intension of asking "to turn up the contrast to 100%" is just to leave the native LCD contrast setting  - sometimes it's 100% setting, but more often 50%, and in cheap panels there's no rule - it may be 0%, 12%, 88%, 666% etc.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2010, 03:52:09 am by Czornyj »
Marcin Kałuża | [URL=http://zarzadzaniebarwa

mbalensiefer

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2010, 04:49:38 am »

Thank you.
 But if my monitor has a "contrast" setting that results in a display that is too bright, then shouldn't this contrast or "brightness" be turned down?

~Michael

Jack Flesher

• www.getdpi.com
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2010, 09:03:50 am »

When you run the software after that adjustment, it should bring everything down to your target settings.
Jack
[url=http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2010, 10:02:39 am »

But if my monitor has a "contrast" setting that results in a display that is too bright, then shouldn't this contrast or "brightness" be turned down?

Two different things happening, only one is an actual physical adjustment over the backlight intensity. Who knows what each manufacture calls the little button on the display for that actual control. You’d think it be brightness but it could be called something else. Another reason I prefer “smart monitors” that control everything via the software and don’t require me to touch the panel at all.

In terms of Match, I think once you do find the settings that affect the panel, it needs to have that setting adjusted by its recommendation and then alerts you to the target you asked for when you actually hit that setting. So if you calibrated the display a month ago, and you figure “I don’t want or need to mess with the OSD setting”, you really do. The software wants you to start from scratch.
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

mbalensiefer

« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2010, 10:28:27 am »

Thanks, all!

I am saying that there appears to be a "hole" in the design of the software here (and in all profiling software that does not use a "smart" monitor)...

For example, say that my monitor had not one but two backlights (or fluorescent tubes running the full width of the top and the bottom of my screen): making the contrast/brightness adjustment possibly sky-high...

My profiling device, after telling me to adjust my backlight to maximum, would then give me a different profile then the one I would have obtained with just one backlight on max.

However: Both profiles would look different on the same monitor:
 The first calibration with one backlight on maximum would differ in look from the second calibration that resulted from a profile made from both backlights being on maximum; so even when the respective profiles are applied...viola: different look!

Does anyone else see the hole here?

V/R
~Michael

ChasP505

« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2010, 12:16:21 pm »

... The first calibration with one backlight on maximum would differ in look from the second calibration that resulted from a profile made from both backlights being on maximum...

Do you have such a monitor?
Chas P.

mbalensiefer

« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2010, 12:41:34 am »

No.
 I hope that they do not make these, as well.

My point is that the backlight is unaccounted for here in my, and apparently most everyone elses', profiling.
 If my device had asked me to standardize my brightness before the profiling commenced, this would make sense. But even in my "advanced" setting, it didn't. The software should have asked for the puck to be placed on the monitor, and then it should tell the user at which point the user should crank the brightness or contrast up to.

~Michael
« Last Edit: May 14, 2010, 03:07:12 am by mbalensiefer »

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2010, 09:29:10 am »

I am saying that there appears to be a "hole" in the design of the software here (and in all profiling software that does not use a "smart" monitor)...
For example, say that my monitor had not one but two backlights (or fluorescent tubes running the full width of the top and the bottom of my screen): making the contrast/brightness adjustment possibly sky-high...

There is no physical control over the contrast of many displays (you have to be able to control black level and white/luminance). And I don’t know what you mean by both backlights. I don’t know that any displays alter the Fluorescent bulbs independently or how that would affect anything but the luminance. Everything else happens in the panel itself or on a LUT.
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

ChasP505

« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2010, 11:43:50 am »

My point is that the backlight is unaccounted for here in my, and apparently most everyone elses', profiling.
 If my device had asked me to standardize my brightness before the profiling commenced, this would make sense. But even in my "advanced" setting, it didn't. ...

I have to agree with you on this point. On another forum I often offer advice to newbies frustrated from failed attempts at calibrating their brand new LCD with popular calibration tools like the Spyder3 Pro or iOne Display 2.  I usually suggest ignoring the instructions and following my prescribed method, but that sometimes generates even more angst in people with certain rigid personality types.
Chas P.

mbalensiefer

« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2010, 01:56:09 pm »

Quote from: ChasP505
I have to agree with you on this point. On another forum I often offer advice to newbies frustrated from failed attempts at calibrating their brand new LCD with popular calibration tools like the Spyder3 Pro or iOne Display 2.  I usually suggest ignoring the instructions and following my prescribed method, but that sometimes generates even more angst in people with certain rigid personality types.

Great; thanks!

I am not so rigid, so they say, on personality...
 But I turned my monitor's contrast setting to default (a 75%), and my new profile now looks full-range, and much much nicer than it did at the 100% contrast setting. I think I shall keep it here.

~Michael
Pages: [1]   Go Up