Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: bassenthwaite  (Read 2031 times)

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
bassenthwaite
« on: May 12, 2010, 04:04:22 am »

B&W, colour or neither? C&C welcome.

[attachment=21934:bassenthwaite.jpg]     [attachment=21935:bassenth...e_colour.jpg]

Jeremy

Chairman Bill

• flickr page
bassenthwaite
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2010, 04:27:30 am »

I'm generally inclined to say B&W, & not going to change that generality in relation to this image. What I would say is that I'd prefer the B&W without what looks to me like a red filter applied to darken the sky. Digital red filtration almost always looks false, specially where it cuts out cloud fine detail. An orange filter gives a more natural appearance.

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
bassenthwaite
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2010, 02:38:09 pm »

Quote from: Chairman Bill
I'm generally inclined to say B&W, & not going to change that generality in relation to this image. What I would say is that I'd prefer the B&W without what looks to me like a red filter applied to darken the sky. Digital red filtration almost always looks false, specially where it cuts out cloud fine detail. An orange filter gives a more natural appearance.
OK, then. How about this?

[attachment=21954:bassenthwaite.jpg]

Jeremy

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
bassenthwaite
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2010, 09:01:50 pm »

Quote from: kikashi
OK, then. How about this?

[attachment=21954:bassenthwaite.jpg]

Jeremy
This one improves the sky, but the foreground rocks are a bit too bright foe me. I would tone them down a bit, or perhaps add a tiny bit of a curve to lower some of the tonalities just a very little bit. 

I think you're getting there.

Eric

-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

Chairman Bill

• flickr page
bassenthwaite
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2010, 01:55:09 pm »

What Eric said

jule

• http://www.juliestephenson.net
bassenthwaite
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2010, 05:23:32 pm »

Thanks for offering this image Jeremy. This one for me just doesn't cut it. The rocks in the foreground are too harsh and for me the image is just a grouping of clouds, hills and rocks with nothing really special. The tonality seems weird...lack of depth and intensity, the composition is stilted and the whole thing seems to be just trying too hard to be working and feels forced. The image feels like the light is quite glaring and I want to squint or put my sunnies on. For me - not pleasant feelings have been evoked from this image... but hey...if that's the feeling you were trying to express, you succeeded.

I personally would spend the time out taking more photos rather than trying to resurrect this one.

Julie
« Last Edit: May 14, 2010, 05:29:42 pm by jule »

John R

bassenthwaite
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2010, 09:30:59 pm »

I think this image is quite ordinary, and like Jules, there is not much I like about it except the dappled light in the mountainous green areas. The clustered rock formation is visually dominant but uninteresting. The rock cluster forms a circle that abuts the frame and prevents the eye from circling the entire scene. I think a sliver of water between the rocks and the frame would give the image better visual design. A secondary motif like birds on the rocks or a boat would add some interest that is consistent with the overall motif. But the real issue has to be the overall expression. So although one can argue this image is technically well taken, it lacks expression, something that one wants to convey to the viewer and is more than beautiful elements. I have hundreds of what I call post card images in my slide collection, but I seldom show them anymore, because I want my images to convey more than nice scenes. Easier said than done, I know.

JMR

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
bassenthwaite
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2010, 05:39:48 am »

Fair points, Julie and John. Still, I have the image so I might as well practice my rudimentary development techniques on it.

How about this version? It's a combination of the first two b&w shots, with a little more tweaking. I've darkened the foreground rocks so they stand out less.

[attachment=21996:bass3.jpg]

Jeremy

jule

• http://www.juliestephenson.net
bassenthwaite
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2010, 07:04:52 pm »

Quote from: kikashi
Fair points, Julie and John. Still, I have the image so I might as well practice my rudimentary development techniques on it.

How about this version? It's a combination of the first two b&w shots, with a little more tweaking. I've darkened the foreground rocks so they stand out less.

[attachment=21996:bass3.jpg]

Jeremy
I see your point Jeremy about practicing development techniques, but there is a saying about flogging a dead horse - and in my opinion this image just doesn't have the potential in my eye to keep working on it.

I don't mean to be harsh, and it is just my own personal opinion but I stick to my original suggestion and go and take some more photos in that wonderful place, and practice your development skills on some of those images.

Julie
Pages: [1]   Go Up