Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: printer/paper combination for book covers  (Read 2030 times)

colinb

printer/paper combination for book covers
« on: May 11, 2010, 05:33:01 pm »

Hi. I'm trying to find a combination of printer and paper that satisfies a number of apparently irreconcilable criteria.

- printing in color
- on A3
- glossy brochure paper, not photo paper, as I need to be able to fold/crease the paper after printing
- cardstock, 100lb, 400gsm [three ways of saying, heavy paper]

I don't need the very highest standards of photo reproduction. I don't need very high speed. I do need to avoid roller marks and other evidence of the paper's passage through the printer.

Any takers?

thanks

c

jule

• http://www.juliestephenson.net
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2010, 06:00:22 am »

What about a laser rather than an inkjet. Double sided printing for brochures using glossy paper with inkjets is often a nightmare. HP have some really good printers which may be worth considering.

Julie

Peter Mellis

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2010, 12:29:14 pm »

Can't help you with the printing part, but you will need to coat the covers with something so that they survive handling. Book jackets are usually varnished on press to provide luster/shine and some degree of protection. Some book covers are laminated.

colinb

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2010, 06:48:34 am »

Quote from: jule
What about a laser rather than an inkjet. Double sided printing for brochures using glossy paper with inkjets is often a nightmare. HP have some really good printers which may be worth considering.

Julie

Hi Julie. Yes, we had taken the [rather expensive] learning step of buying a 'high-end' Konica laser printer. It turns out that although it  _can_ pass brochure paper through its guts, it cannot do so without leaving roller marks. When we had the field circus guy out to look at it, he told us

• he wasn't surprise it left marks on heavy glossy paper
  • there's nothing 'wrong' with the printer
  • there's no way to find out if the printer can print on a paper without leaving marks other than to buy lots of stock and try it all out.

Imagine my delight.

Can you point me at a specific HP printer/paper combo that might work?

thanks

c

colinb

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2010, 06:50:38 am »

Quote from: PeterAM
Can't help you with the printing part, but you will need to coat the covers with something so that they survive handling. Book jackets are usually varnished on press to provide luster/shine and some degree of protection. Some book covers are laminated.

Hi Peter. Yep, we've got lamination covered, so to speak.

watcha

c

Ernst Dinkla

« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2010, 08:36:36 am »

Quote from: colinb
Hi Peter. Yep, we've got lamination covered, so to speak.

watcha

c

If the lamination is covered (sic) would a satin/glossy laminate not widen up your paper stock choices to two sided matt papers?

There are some expensive papers with that weight but you could try out some offset papers as well. Gamut and Dmax improve with a good lamination, bleeding + detail loss will show though.

met vriendelijke groeten, Ernst Dinkla

Try: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Wide_Inkjet_Printers/
Pages: [1]   Go Up