Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Phocus 2.5  (Read 11231 times)

David Grover / Capture One

• Capture One
Phocus 2.5
« Reply #20 on: May 12, 2010, 04:36:05 am »

Im just glad Doug feels so threatened he feels the need to post in every Hasselblad thread.  Keep it up!

Getting back on topic, the primary reason for added RAW support is for the benefit of our existing users who like to use Phocus for H files and on the odd occasion where it would help to conglomerate a job shot with different systems.

Meanwhile Phocus is still free to download and anyone with one of the 150+ cameras supported can have a go.

David

David Grover
Business Support and Development Manager

JDG

Phocus 2.5
« Reply #21 on: May 12, 2010, 09:35:06 am »

Actually, sales or not, I think Doug makes a valid point...  The main reason (aside from tethered capture) to use a software like Phocus, Capture One, or Leaf Capture is because the processing is specialized and much higher quality than more generic algorithms like ACR or Aperture.

nad54

Phocus 2.5
« Reply #22 on: May 12, 2010, 10:01:07 am »

Quote from: JDG
Actually, sales or not, I think Doug makes a valid point...  The main reason (aside from tethered capture) to use a software like Phocus, Capture One, or Leaf Capture is because the processing is specialized and much higher quality than more generic algorithms like ACR or Aperture.

Even when Hasselblad gives something away for free the bitching starts

bcooter

Phocus 2.5
« Reply #23 on: May 12, 2010, 11:42:50 am »

I think there is a misconception on a specialty camera board like this that every photographer spends hours, weeks and months  processing, and pixel comparing images at 200% and that's not the case.  I think Hasselblad recognizes that most photographers want to shoot process and go on to the next project.

On the front end what we want to see is an image pleasing or close enough to the look for client approval.  On the back end we want to keep our workflow fast and simple and also have the ability to process out that certain look, that is continuous between brands and formats.

I think what Hasselblad offers is a great idea, on many levels, especially since it is free. I also think it would have been better (no complaints, just a suggestion) if they offered tethering for other brands, even the medium format kind.

Not everyone moving to a medium format brand is coming from Canon and Nikon, some like myself might own and continue to keep a different brand of 645 back.  

Especially since resale prices are so low and changing from my phase/contax' to hasselblad requires scrapping everything or developing two different workflows.

How nice would it be to have one software suite that allows multiple backs, multiple bodies especially when tethering.

It would make adding a new medium format camera like the h40 a much easier process.

Just a thought.

BC

P.S.   On the professional level, using outside retouching, even if the photographer processes out the final images, the retoucher always wants a raw for a multitude of reasons and in those instances, 95% will process in some adobe product, usually photoshop, mainly because they have it and the processing portion of the software is built in and free.

Having quick and free downloads of Phocus can go a long way to introducing the retouching industry to a different form of processing

Quote from: JDG
>>>snip>>>> The main reason (aside from tethered capture) to use a software like Phocus, Capture One, or Leaf Capture is because the processing is specialized and much higher quality than more generic algorithms like ACR or Aperture.

jduncan

Phocus 2.5
« Reply #24 on: May 12, 2010, 12:46:09 pm »

Quote from: nad54
Even when Hasselblad gives something away for free the bitching starts
Ja ja ja, exactly. When True focus came out people were furious about it.  I was :just wait and if you don't like it just turn the stuff off.
funny part if the Hasselblad was the first company to address the issue.
Some times is funny, some times if frustrating. You read a treat about some guy that got his H4D-40 and instead of questions about the tool we end up with a tread about what the machine we (already know) do not do.
So let get good spirits and laugh. Is far better than becoming frustrated
english is not my first language, an I k

jduncan

Phocus 2.5
« Reply #25 on: May 12, 2010, 12:53:03 pm »

Quote from: bcooter
I think there is a misconception on a specialty camera board like this that every photographer spends hours, weeks and months  processing, and pixel comparing images at 200% and that's not the case.  I think Hasselblad recognizes that most photographers want to shoot process and go on to the next project.

On the front end what we want to see is an image pleasing or close enough to the look for client approval.  On the back end we want to keep our workflow fast and simple and also have the ability to process out that certain look, that is continuous between brands and formats.

I think what Hasselblad offers is a great idea, on many levels, especially since it is free. I also think it would have been better (no complaints, just a suggestion) if they offered tethering for other brands, even the medium format kind.

Not everyone moving to a medium format brand is coming from Canon and Nikon, some like myself might own and continue to keep a different brand of 645 back.  

Especially since resale prices are so low and changing from my phase/contax' to hasselblad requires scrapping everything or developing two different workflows.

How nice would it be to have one software suite that allows multiple backs, multiple bodies especially when tethering.

It would make adding a new medium format camera like the h40 a much easier process.

Just a thought.

BC

P.S.   On the professional level, using outside retouching, even if the photographer processes out the final images, the retoucher always wants a raw for a multitude of reasons and in those instances, 95% will process in some adobe product, usually photoshop, mainly because they have it and the processing portion of the software is built in and free.

Having quick and free downloads of Phocus can go a long way to introducing the retouching industry to a different form of processing
I fully agree with you but, maybe, is to expensive to handle for little companies. It's better not to have the tool that having an unstable tool in the face of the AD / client.  My experience as a programer tells me that the more expensive and time consuming part will be testing /debugging  for all the old  plus the new cameras.  Phase one have a head start when Aperture ligth room did not exist. That allow them to really invest on a very solid product. Nowadays resources are far more constrained. Maybe we should send letters to apple to see if they can add tethering functionality or al least an API to mac os X.  This will simplify and make for a more solid experience. In the other hand maybe something can be done with automator  an folder actions? Anyone in the know?
« Last Edit: May 12, 2010, 01:02:28 pm by jduncan »

SeanBK

Phocus 2.5
« Reply #26 on: May 12, 2010, 03:02:08 pm »

If it was mentioned earlier than do excuse me. But I think it is great for consumer, as this Software does take care of 150 different cameras., incl Canon & Nikon AND it is FREE, while Capture One is $300 ( it was more earlier).
   So I wonder if Phase One will now start to give their software for free. Has anyone heard @ it or can Phase One rep can reply when it will be $300 less?

john milich

Phocus 2.5
« Reply #27 on: May 12, 2010, 10:58:15 pm »

yippee! supports my 'blad and my digilux2!

deejjjaaaa

Phocus 2.5
« Reply #28 on: May 13, 2010, 12:03:41 am »

Quote from: SeanBK
If it was mentioned earlier than do excuse me. But I think it is great for consumer, as this Software does take care of 150 different cameras., incl Canon & Nikon AND it is FREE, while Capture One is $300 ( it was more earlier).
   So I wonder if Phase One will now start to give their software for free. Has anyone heard @ it or can Phase One rep can reply when it will be $300 less?

if you want a superb quality raw conversion for free on Mac platform for your dSLRs (and some MFs) - there is RPP ( http://www.raw-photo-processor.com/RPP/Overview.html )

vandevanterSH

Phocus 2.5
« Reply #29 on: May 13, 2010, 02:18:51 pm »

OT but...What is the best (easiest) way to sync. .fff files across Phocus located on multiple computers?

Steve

Martin E

• http://datafocus@ihug.co.nz
Phocus 2.5
« Reply #30 on: May 14, 2010, 07:59:44 pm »

Martin E

• http://datafocus@ihug.co.nz
Phocus 2.5
« Reply #31 on: May 15, 2010, 07:14:35 pm »

Quote from: Martin E
Some details

http://www.hasselblad.se/about-hasselblad/...troduction.aspx

Martin

Link has been removed. Most of the video was about keyword transfer from other apps. Also new feature to place RGB values on the image at any location. Next was printing full image and then other third party input support.    Regards Martin

jduncan

Phocus 2.5
« Reply #32 on: May 19, 2010, 09:59:44 am »

Quote from: vandevanterSH
Phocus 2.5 announced and will be released on May 19.  It will have RAW support for 150+ cameras.  Interesting business decision.

Steve
Downloading. Maybe we should open a new thread for Phocus 2.5 testing comments?

First impressions.
1. The basic adjustment of NEF files appears to be working properly. Noise filter do not work on my setup with NEF. I will continue to use Aperture, but it does work.
2. The display and open of the files is fast.  They look somehow  darker vs with preview /aperture.
3. Some times performance goes to the bottom, but it quickly recovers.
3. The browser continue to be disappointing to be polite.  It's starts on the root of the file system by default. Not in the home directory of the user.  Reminds me of some old (circa 99) Linux programs.  This is no big deal, but is annoying.
4.  Don't have that many Hasselblad files (not 4  my own yet) but it handle them, to my limited experience, as good as 2.0.

In general I found that is a little update that could become very useful. Been able to handle the SRL and the SRLs files could become great for some users.
But I have the feeling that the lack of tethering and some of the interface limits can become a problem for the people that could benefit more (in my mind) from this update. But What do I know?

regards
« Last Edit: May 19, 2010, 12:02:36 pm by jduncan »

JDG

Phocus 2.5
« Reply #33 on: May 20, 2010, 11:10:33 am »

Downloaded 2.5 last night....  I must say I'm quite underwhelmed.  These are my observations working on a Core i7 MacBookPro, 8gb Ram, SSD.  Let me also say that I'm no expert in Phocus so there is always the chance I get some detail wrong.  

The Good.
-It processes a bunch of DSLR as advertised.
-Thumbnails load quickly
-Tools are easy to understand and use.  Still getting used to the workflow
-IPTC implementation seems pretty good, though I haven't tested extensively.  Seems straight forward enough though.

The just OK
-Uses Apple Image core instead of Hasselblad's image core - this means that out put quality is Good, but not exactly bringing it to the next level.  Similar quality would be seen from iPhoto, Preview, and Aperture.
-Processing time seems reasonable, though see my other comments below.

The not so good
-No control of input color profiles. (only available for hasselblad files)
-No control of output profiles (at least as far as I could find)
-Applying adjustments from one image to a batch of images is slow, theres also no progress bar, just spinning pinwheel.

The bad
- Minimal adjustments available.  With the exception of color correction (selective color) I can do more with the image in iPhoto.  There is no control for highlight or shadow recovery, no noise reduction, no lens correction, no clarity, etc, etc
- When processing images everything is locked up until the file is finished being processed.

What I cant comment on
-Haven't worked with enough images to determine stability.

My Editorial Take
You get what you pay for.  Hasselblad had a great idea to offer one program that you could use for all you cameras, similar to how Capture One operates, however given the lack of tools for DSLR I think they fell short.  If you have a Hasselblad camera then Phocus is a fine solution, but for your Canon or Nikon as well you will likely want to hold on to Lightroom, Capture One, Bibble or whatever other software you are currently using.

Steve Hendrix

• http://www.captureintegration.com/
Phocus 2.5
« Reply #34 on: May 20, 2010, 12:57:09 pm »

I think it has to be kept in mind that it is a version 1.0 product, so the assumption is improvements will occur moving forward. It's nice to have as an option.

But I would have to say that I see this as a potentially useful tool only for Hasselblad users that also shoot 35mm, period. And only for those users who place a premium value on single source interface. Because it does not provide tethering, it's value is essentially as a raw processor/editor. And since it utilizes the Apple imaging engine, there is no Hasselblad secret sauce advantage from an image quality standpoint for these files.

So, since the available tool set from Lightroom, Aperture, Capture One is superior to the available tool set for these 35mm files in Phocus, and there is no image quality advantage, (and depending on the preferred raw converter, there is potentially an image quality disadvantage) the only reason I can see someone using it is as a Hasselblad user who highly values having a single source interface. And that could be important to some. So, that's the value.

Steve Hendrix
Steve Hendrix • 404-543-8475 www.captureintegration.com (e-mail Me)
Phase One | Leaf | Leica | Alpa | Cambo | Sinar | Arca Swiss
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up