Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Create. Stolen.  (Read 6506 times)

Rob C

Create. Stolen.
« Reply #20 on: May 13, 2010, 06:33:51 am »

Quote from: stamper
How does the poster know that the company wasn't already working on the theme already? If they were does that mean they have to abandon it because someone submitted a similar one? There can only be so few themes in existence that similarities happen. How many cowbody and Indian films have you watched that have the same scenery, locations and scripts. Does anyone remember the famous Christine Keeler pose?

http://www.vam.ac.uk/collections/photograp...ng/modern_icon/

Doe this mean that nobody is ever allowed to photograph this pose again with a different person?

Yes, that's probably fairly close to what I feel too - about images, I have missed out on Christine - but I don't think I'd be happy to see anything of mine ripped off either; there's a difference betwen an icon being used (when it has probably already reaped a fortune) and the work of somebody being stolen by another when they are both relatively modest photographers. In other words, in my days of shooting for House of Fraser in Glasgow, I would have been pissed off is somebody else in the local scene did the same stuff for some other shops... on the other hand, it might have caused legal action that could have raised my profile a little higher. Oddly - or not - I even had a small problem for a time because I was shooting for McDonalds as well as Fraser Sons, both Buchanan Street, opposite one another, and both House of Fraser. Guess that's a problem with having a style. In a small pond.

Flattery, as in imitation, has never paid the original artist's bills all that well.

Rob C

stamper

Create. Stolen.
« Reply #21 on: May 13, 2010, 07:33:47 am »

I have missed out on Christine.

Unquote

I bet that you are happy you did? I think that Profumo wished he had. If memory serves me right there was a Russian with big connections involved as well.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2010, 07:34:15 am by stamper »

stamper

Create. Stolen.
« Reply #22 on: May 13, 2010, 07:40:29 am »

Quote from: Rob C
There was another similar case: the shot of Picasso, I think it was, sitting at a table with two finger-like bread-rolls taking the place of the hands. Somebody shot the same idea and got sued... I wonder what happens in the case where the person makes a picture like another's but doesn't know he has so done.

Rob C

A very pertinent point. I wonder how much the original poster was influenced by something else - either conscientiously or unconscientiously  - when he came up with his idea?

MarkTipple

Create. Stolen.
« Reply #23 on: May 13, 2010, 07:58:37 am »

Quote from: Rob C
on the other hand, it might have caused legal action that could have raised my profile a little higher.

Not that that's a bad thing...almost what we're doing now I must admit. No legal action though. Wouldn't even know where to start.

And in no way do we claim to be the owner of the idea we pitched, as it definitely was influenced by a number of sources, has to be said that the LL has been a huge influence in areas of my personal work.
The main point (and once again, sorry if it's a waste of time) that an idea pitched has (may be) been replicated by the same magazine pitched to, and I'm interested in hearing views/stories of it happening before.

Yes, the idea probably has been done before. Maybe the mag was working on it before our pitch. I'm fully aware that nothing we do now will change anything.

Rob C

Create. Stolen.
« Reply #24 on: May 13, 2010, 01:04:09 pm »

Quote from: stamper

I have missed out on Christine.

Unquote

I bet that you are happy you did? I think that Profumo wished he had. If memory serves me right there was a Russian with big connections involved as well.

Just like the Texans, then... or Spanish bullfighters. Or is it only in the clothes they wear?

Rob C

Colorwave

• Colorwave Imaging
Create. Stolen.
« Reply #25 on: May 13, 2010, 01:17:31 pm »

Mark-
You might want to check out a website devoted to rips:  http://youthoughtwewouldntnotice.com/blog3/
Unfortunately, I don't see anything sketchy about the last example you posted.  The aboriginal people and their stream (obviously a key part of their environment) are the same, but nothing in the pose or photographic style seems like an obvious steal.  To me both shots are nice, but in different ways.  Just my opinion, though.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2010, 01:19:02 pm by Colorwave »
-Ron H.
[url=http://colorwaveimaging.com

MarkTipple

Create. Stolen.
« Reply #26 on: May 14, 2010, 05:57:15 am »

Interesting site, some I couldn't see the similarities at all, (much like the JoeyL 'copy'), but other's were so blatant it was laughable.

And I agree, I couldn't find an outright copy in the two JoeyL images, as was written before, what other environment is there to shoot the locals in?

Anyway, I'm pretty much over the initial point (rant) now, we're working on the next series at the moment which we'll keep to ourselves (and fund ourselves ugh...), been shooting a lot more over the last few days so I'm happy and relaxed...

Thanks for the input.

Blatant plug again -

Stay stoked guys.

Mark.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up