Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sinar CaptureShop 5.6.6 update available  (Read 3230 times)

MartinWidmann

Sinar CaptureShop 5.6.6 update available
« on: May 11, 2010, 07:28:30 am »

A new version of Sinar CaptureShop is available. The functionality is the same as in version 5.6.5, but there have been some serious memory leaks removed. This update is valuable for all supported Sinarbacks as these leaks may be the cause for various problems. It is strongly recommended.

Be aware, that from version 5.6.5 on, Sinar CaptureShop runs only on OS X 10.5 and above.

Feedback is highly appreciated.

Martin
Martin Widmann
Employed by Sinar Photography AG / Switzerland, however the opinions I express are my own.

baudolino

« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2010, 03:38:56 pm »

Quote from: MartinWidmann
A new version of Sinar CaptureShop is available. The functionality is the same as in version 5.6.5, but there have been some serious memory leaks removed. This update is valuable for all supported Sinarbacks as these leaks may be the cause for various problems. It is strongly recommended.

Be aware, that from version 5.6.5 on, Sinar CaptureShop runs only on OS X 10.5 and above.

Feedback is highly appreciated.

Martin

Hi Martin,

My question is a bit off topic but - what are your plans going forward regarding Captureshop vs. eXposure? What sense does it make for Sinar to continue to develop/support/upgrade two different raw conversion programs neither of which is really on par with competition? I use eXposure to convert my eMotion 75 files to DNG - but only for that purpose (then I edit in Lightroom) because I find eXposure not really user friendly / usable for editing (the DNG files always have a greenish cast, my WB settings from the back never get picked up by the software and the previews show heavy color banding or whatever to call it - basically not even good enough to check if the image is sharp - the program often crashes... even though I use the latest version...). In contrast, conversions from Captureshop are usually much better off the bat but the program does not save DNGs. Why do you not integrate the two programs into one that saves DNGs, makes quick and usable previews, utilizes profiles specific to the back in use, allows tethered shooting and real-time / responsive editing, and make it available both on Mac and PC? Right now, there are four different software pieces that read the eMotion raw files (Captureshop, eXposure, RawDeveloper and Brumbaer) but each of them has its quirks and none even approaches C1. I would be a happier user if I could use one really good program. I recently added a Hy6 body with 3 lenses to my eMotion back so I have a big interest in you guys doing the right thing :-).

Best regards,

Martin Drazsky

PS: give my best regards to Helga; I received perfect service when I was at the factory in Zurich for the firmware update of my Hy6 about a month ago.

bdp

• http://www.bendearnleyphotography.com
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2010, 04:32:12 pm »

I use eXposure for processing my eMotion files and find it quite OK, although I admit Lightroom 3.2 seems to be able to get a little more out of the file with it's new 2010 process and better NR. In eXposure I love being able to detach the curves box from the rest of the tools and make it really big so I can make fine adjustments to get the image just right. This is a bit more 'old school' perhaps than the modern way of twiddling sliders all over the place (exposure, brightness, blacks, fill, recovery, clarity etc) but I like it.

Also as far as the greenish cast and the software not recognising your back's WB settings, this is a bug. Files imported from internal memory or CF card will have the manual WB embedded in them that was last created in the back, even if you shot all the pictures with a setting of something else like 'sunny'. This can easily be corrected by applying a WB of 5500 and tint 0 or whatever starting point you like to all your files with the 'manage image parameters' part of the software. You can apply one or many parameters to some or all of your files. Kind of like a clunkier version of Lightrooms sync or copy/paste where checkboxes can be ticked or unticked. If you spend the time to get to know it, eXposure can be your friend!

Ben
« Last Edit: May 11, 2010, 05:14:30 pm by bdp »

MartinWidmann

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2010, 02:17:34 am »

Thank you for your good feedback, Martin. There are some similarities with our list of topics. Stay tuned to see, what might materialize in the future.

And thank you Ben, for your kind help in this forum.

Martin
Martin Widmann
Employed by Sinar Photography AG / Switzerland, however the opinions I express are my own.
Pages: [1]   Go Up