Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: PS write to disk  (Read 1999 times)

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
PS write to disk
« on: May 10, 2010, 02:36:19 pm »

I have a Mac Pro and CS5. How long should it take PS to write a 160Mb TIFF to disk, from hitting cmd-S to the progress bar disappearing? It seems awfully slow but I might just have expectations that can't be met.

Jeremy

Jack Flesher

• www.getdpi.com
PS write to disk
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2010, 07:21:09 pm »

Quote from: kikashi
I have a Mac Pro and CS5. How long should it take PS to write a 160Mb TIFF to disk, from hitting cmd-S to the progress bar disappearing? It seems awfully slow but I might just have expectations that can't be met.

Jeremy

Every system is going to be different; layers will matter, ram will matter and the speed of the disk or array you write to will matter.  But even so, with a modern system it should be pretty quick.  I can tell you my 3 year old Mac Pro -- which has 24 G of ram, 16 of which is allocated to CS5, and I write images to a fast array -- will save a 360MB tiff in under 2 seconds, which means a 160MB tiff should be under a second.

Hope that helps,
« Last Edit: May 10, 2010, 07:27:56 pm by Jack Flesher »
Jack
[url=http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
PS write to disk
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2010, 03:30:35 am »

Quote from: Jack Flesher
Every system is going to be different; layers will matter, ram will matter and the speed of the disk or array you write to will matter.  But even so, with a modern system it should be pretty quick.  I can tell you my 3 year old Mac Pro -- which has 24 G of ram, 16 of which is allocated to CS5, and I write images to a fast array -- will save a 360MB tiff in under 2 seconds, which means a 160MB tiff should be under a second.

Hope that helps,
Yes, it does, thanks. My system is similar to yours but I have only 10G RAM and I'm writing to two disks using the built-in RAID: it takes over a minute, so there's obviously something seriously awry.

Jeremy

John R Smith

• Still crazy, after all these years
PS write to disk
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2010, 07:28:25 am »

Yes, it does, thanks. My system is similar to yours but I have only 10G RAM and I'm writing to two disks using the built-in RAID: it takes over a minute, so there's obviously something seriously awry.

Jeremy

I would say something is wrong. My ancient XP laptop with 1.5 GB RAM and a tiny 75 GB HD will save a 75 MB TIFF from PS in under 5 secs.

John
Hasselblad 500 C/M, SWC and CFV-39 DB
an

PeterAit

• Peter Aitken Photographs
PS write to disk
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2010, 10:28:13 am »

Quote from: John R Smith
I would say something is wrong. My ancient XP laptop with 1.5 GB RAM and a tiny 75 GB HD will save a 75 MB TIFF from PS in under 5 secs.

John

I think it depends on the circumstances. If I open a 250MB TIFF directly in PS and then "Save As" to either my internal RAID 0 or my external eSATA RAID 0 it takes less than a second. But if I have opened a RAW image into PS from Lightroom and have worked on it, then save it, a similar-sized image takes a lot longer. 5-10 sec. I assume this is due to the extra processing required due to the PS-LR link.

Jack Flesher

• www.getdpi.com
PS write to disk
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2010, 11:28:29 am »

Quote from: PeterAit
into PS from Lightroom and have worked on it,

Why I said layers matter

One other thing I didn't mention is tiff compression matters too.  FWIW you can use the standard tiff save dialog settings that come up, of None/Interleaved/PC, even for Macs...

Regardless, a one minute save time for a 160MB tiff regardless of layers and compression indicates an issue somewhere in the chain.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2010, 11:33:44 am by Jack Flesher »
Jack

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
PS write to disk
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2010, 03:06:20 pm »

Quote from: PeterAit
I think it depends on the circumstances. If I open a 250MB TIFF directly in PS and then "Save As" to either my internal RAID 0 or my external eSATA RAID 0 it takes less than a second. But if I have opened a RAW image into PS from Lightroom and have worked on it, then save it, a similar-sized image takes a lot longer. 5-10 sec. I assume this is due to the extra processing required due to the PS-LR link.
That's very interesting. I'd not tried saving other than as part of a round trip from LR. I now find that if I open, in PS, a file of about 160Mb from LR, make an alteration (to a single-layer file, creating no new layers) and then click simply Save, it takes ages: a minute or so. If I Save as to the same disk, it takes only a second or two, not even long enough for the Saving TIFF file progress window to appear.

I'm rather confused. What can I do to solve this problem? I'm using LR2.6 / CS5, if it makes any difference.

Jeremy

Jack Flesher

• www.getdpi.com
PS write to disk
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2010, 04:56:49 pm »

then click simply Save, it takes ages: a minute or so. If I Save as to the same disk, it takes only a second or two, not even long enough for the Saving TIFF file progress window to appear.

Sounds like your raid array is the number 1 culprit.

Jack

JeffKohn

• http://jeffk-photo.typepad.com
PS write to disk
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2010, 06:37:09 pm »

The options for TIFF format can have a big impact on save times. Saving a file with just a background layer using no compression is very fast, even for big files. Add in compression and/or layers and it becomes much slower. Even just "promoting" the background to a real layer will increase save time.
Jeff Kohn
[url=http://ww

PeterAit

• Peter Aitken Photographs
PS write to disk
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2010, 06:59:13 pm »

That's very interesting. I'd not tried saving other than as part of a round trip from LR. I now find that if I open, in PS, a file of about 160Mb from LR, make an alteration (to a single-layer file, creating no new layers) and then click simply Save, it takes ages: a minute or so. If I Save as to the same disk, it takes only a second or two, not even long enough for the Saving TIFF file progress window to appear.

I'm rather confused. What can I do to solve this problem? I'm using LR2.6 / CS5, if it makes any difference.

Jeremy

My guess is that the extra save time is not actually writing-to-disk time but has to do with extra processing or other files that are involved when you are "checking back in" a modified file to the LR catalog. But, that's only my surmise. I agree it is annoying and would be a great place for Adobe to speed things up.

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
PS write to disk
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2010, 01:29:24 am »

Are you saving them as compressed TIFFs? That slows down a lot!

Best regards
Erik

Jeremy
Erik Kaffehr

Pages: [1]   Go Up