Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Profiling LexJet Sunset photo metallic - Lexjet says it can't be done?  (Read 21786 times)

Ken Doo

• Carmel Fine Art Printing & Reproduction
Profiling LexJet Sunset photo metallic - Lexjet says it can't be done?
« Reply #20 on: May 14, 2010, 10:25:18 am »

Quote from: neile
I spoke with someone at LexJet yesterday and they insist the paper is different than the Red River Metallic. I have a box of the Red River on the way as well, so will do a side-by-side comparison and see if I can spot a difference.

Neil

Hmmm.

Red River and Lexjet:

1.  Both are 10 mil 255 gm papers.
2.  Same feel.  Same surface.  Same tactile feeling.  Indistinguishable in print---comparing same images printed on both media side-by-side
But the most damning evidence
3.  Both are packaged EXACTLY alike, using that same damned little piece of white tape (super-adhesive strength) on the media itself, causing you to waste the first 12-18" of media.  Duct tape ain't got anything on that white tape they use....

leuallen

« Reply #21 on: May 15, 2010, 02:45:16 pm »

I printed my first RR metallic, 17x22 from Epson 3800, today. Used RR profile. The subject was a close up of a deep purple-red tulip that was backlit, brilliant range of colors. The background was out of focus (nice bokeh) medium to dark greens. My first impressions: the paper is thinner than I would like, the colors were gorgeous - very close to my monitor (high end calibrated), and the specular highlights seemed a touch gray. I soft proofed in PS without simulating paper color (recommended).  If I print it again I would add a touch of contrast, the print seemed to loose a little but that may have been my initial post processing lacking and subsequent evaluation changed (in other words, I changed my mind).

Verdict: a very nice print considering it was the first. Will continue to use on a series of brightly colored single bud flowers on white background. It has lots of 'pop'.

Larry

Colorwave

• Colorwave Imaging
« Reply #22 on: May 15, 2010, 04:07:45 pm »

FWIW:  I just heard yesterday that Fineline Papers is about to introduce a metallic substrate with (surprise!) identical specs to the other two inkjet products.
-Ron H.
[url=http://colorwaveimaging.com

neile

• http://www.danecreekfolios.com
« Reply #23 on: May 17, 2010, 09:41:08 pm »

Ok, my package of Red River Polar Metallic arrived today so I could finally do my own side-by-side comparison. I'm working off 8.5x11" cut sheets, not rolls.

At a high level the two papers are virtually indistinguishable. If you didn't see the two papers side-by-side on a wall nobody would be able to tell the difference between the two of them.

There are, however, some extremely subtle differences, at least in the samples I tried. My tests were using a set of 4 black and white images printed 4-up, as well as the standard test print image I use for my inkjet paper list test prints.

Here's the differences I see:

1) The base paper has a different tone. The Lexjet paper is ever so slightly more blue.
2) The Red River Polar Metallic has a very, very, very, slight increase in texture. It's still a smooth paper, but there's an orientation to the fibers of the paper (landscape on the 8.5x11" cut sheets I have), and it is very slightly more pronounced on the Red River

But these are extremely minor differences. In terms of the metallic quality and "wet look" both appear equal, and both are nice and a fun change from standard offerings. I asked my wife to confirm in a random arrangement of the sample prints, and she was also unable to see any difference between the two with respect to metallic and wet appearance.

When compared to Kodak Endura Metallic (which I also placed side-by-side), the Kodak is still king when it comes to metallic and wet look. It's also much more heavily textured on the base layer than either of the two inkjet offerings.

Neil
Neil Enns
Dane Creek Folio Covers. Limited edition Tuscan Sun and Citron covers are now in stock!

Ken Doo

• Carmel Fine Art Printing & Reproduction
« Reply #24 on: June 08, 2010, 01:07:32 am »

Would you believe? Yup, there's yet another metallic inkjet option. Mitsubishi Imaging offers its Grace Digital Pearlescent paper which is being distributed by www.itsupplies.com

I recently received a 24" roll of the Grace metallic paper from It Supplies. Surprisingly, it is not the same paper as that offered by Lexjet or Red River. It is also a 255 gsm, 10.4 mil paper. Typical of It Supplies, the Grace metallic paper was sent to me carefully packaged with a separate shipping box. No manly white duct tape on this media. The paper came wrapped in kraft paper, and then sealed in plastic.

The paper surface is a smooth pearl, but has sparkles---yes, sparkles is all I can think of---on the paper. Somewhat irridescent. It has similar metallic qualities, though not quite the same hyperbole is used by It Supplies in describing this metallic media. It is as fragile as the other papers offered by Lexjet and Red River, and actually glossier than either. I'm not sure about the sparkles yet, and probably need to print more. None of these new inkjet "metallic" papers approaches Kodak's Endura Metallic for pop and zing, but all are definitely easier to control for highlights and skin tones.

I have not taken the time to generate my own icc profiles, but did borrow the profiles for Red River's Polar Pearl here---and they really looked good on the Grace media.

Anyway, there's another good glossy option with metallic qualities with Grace Pearlescent from It Supplies. A 24" roll of Grace is less expensive than either Lexjet's Sunset Metallic or Red River's Polar Pearl papers.  Shipping from www.itsupplies is free on orders over $100.

ken

Scho

• http://photos.schophoto.com/
« Reply #25 on: June 11, 2010, 04:52:43 pm »

If you want the Kodak Endura look from these new inkjet printable metallic papers then try Epson Claria dye ink.  Pigment inks just don't cut it with this paper and look dull compared to the Claria prints.  BO prints (with just a tiny bit of LM to adjust neutrality) made using QTR, a custom profile, and an Epson 1400 with Claria ink are outstanding.  The image does not "sit" on top of the paper as with pigments, but rather is much closer in appearance to that of a silver image embedded in the emulsion of the print.

neile

• http://www.danecreekfolios.com
« Reply #26 on: June 14, 2010, 11:30:38 pm »

Quote from: kdphotography
The paper surface is a smooth pearl, but has sparkles---yes, sparkles is all I can think of---on the paper.

Based on your post Ken I ordered a 10 sheet sample pack from IT Supplies which came today. I've run my standard test print on it along with four B&W images I printed on the other two metallic candidates. You're absolutely right: this paper is glittery. It's just plain weird. It's like someone put a layer of silver glitter underneath the printable surface, almost like what kids would use for an art project. It doesn't look like the Kodak paper at all

I can't say I care for it much!

Neil
Neil Enns
Dane Creek Folio Covers. Limited edition Tuscan Sun and Citron covers are now in stock!

gibzone

Re: Profiling LexJet Sunset photo metallic - Lexjet says it can't be done?
« Reply #27 on: November 13, 2010, 07:21:29 pm »

Hi,

I've just received a package of the Photo Metallic (a buy prompted by LJ's current 30% sale price reduction) to test.  Upon receipt I ran a couple of 16bit profiles for my ipf5000 and ipf6100 with my ColorMunki. Upon receiving marginal print results from the ipf5000 and completely unacceptable print results from the ipf6100 using those profiles, I fwas brought to this interesting thread.

The good news is LexJet has now a profile for the ipf6100 for the Canon plug-in and it performs satisfactorily... so they have obviously changed their tune about profiling the material.

DonJackson

Re: Profiling LexJet Sunset photo metallic - Lexjet says it can't be done?
« Reply #28 on: November 17, 2010, 09:45:31 pm »

I just printed targets on a Canon 9100 and had a profile made for the Lexjet Metalic and it seems to work well. For the driver.
Happy to share.

Cheers
don
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up