Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 300D (Digital Rebel) vs. 10D  (Read 3486 times)

Joe Hardesty

300D (Digital Rebel) vs. 10D
« on: August 22, 2003, 06:57:56 pm »

Processing rate: 4 frame buffer at 2.5fps instead of 9 frame buffer
Unless you're shooting alot of sports/action, 4 frame buffer is more than most people would use.
Danno,

I think this is a very interesting and useful comparison. I would only mention that the frame buffer does not just apply to action/sports, but can be important anytime you are taking multiple shots in succession. This can easily become a factor if you need to bracket shots.

Other than that, I think you nailed it pretty well.
Thanks for the memories!

Pat

« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2003, 05:19:03 am »

I would consider the magnesium construction on the 10D to be very important. I once worked in a magnesium die casting factory and let me tell you that stuff is almost indestructible. I want my gear to LAST.

BJL

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2003, 05:35:47 pm »

For my purposes, the only possible disadvantage of the 300D/DRebel/KISS not explicitly mentioned so far is light metering options in aperture priority, shutter priority and full auto exposure mode: in those modes the camera almost forces multi-zone evaluative, with a key press needed for partial, and no possibility of using traditional center weighted metering. I like to avoid multi-zone when I think that special needs require exposure compensation; otherwise the computer might be making compensations too, and lead to overcompensation.

Center weighted metering is available, but only as a part of "full curmudgeon mode" which also includes manual exposure setting.

But perhaps partial metering (B-grade spot metering) would do for determining exposure conpensation settings.

ddolde

« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2003, 02:41:21 pm »

jnjudsnciunqeiuedIPUn
« Last Edit: November 28, 2005, 12:28:48 am by ddolde »

DannoPiano

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2003, 06:23:28 pm »

As a prosumer, I've been saving for a Canon 10D and looking forward to going all digitial. With the announcement of the 300D or "Digital Rebel", and Canon's promises that the two cameras were capable of identical picture quality, I am very intrigued at saving $600!

I read the article linked on this site with the comparison, but I found it a bit too editorial to make an easy comparison. For those who missed it:
http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/content_p...cid=7-6270-6325

I put together a list of differences in a much briefer format that I found helpful. Maybe others will too.

----------
Features missing from 300D compared to 10D

White Balance: No Kelvin white balance control (all other modes the same)
File format: Can’t choose JPEG size in RAW+JPEG format (fixed at medium/fine)
ISO settings: ISO 3200 not available
Metering: Less control over metering modes, cannot choose metering mode arbitrarily
Autofocus: No direct control over One Shot vs. AI Servo
Viewfinder: Slightly darker pentamirror vs. pentaprism
Controls: Focus mode missing from LCD display; quickdial replaced with buttons
External Sync: No PC terminal!
Custom Functions: None!
Construction: Less weight/bulk – not as durable?
--------

Well, is there anything I missed? Are these features worth $600?

My evaluation:
White balance is not an issue if you shoot RAW.
Ditto for RAW+JPEG
Noise at 3200 can't be good. I would never use it.
Unless you're shooting alot of sports/action, 4 frame buffer is more than most people would use.
I've never tried to force a meter mode on my Elan 7. Shooting MF I use an incident meter, and so this is over my head.
AI focus control I would miss sometimes. When shooting environmental portaits, I compensate for motion in the background by setting to One-Shot.
Viewfinder - I guess I'd have to see how "dark" it really is.
Controls - no opinion.
No PC terminal would mean no strobes in a studio! This would be a huge loss for a pro.
No custom functions, but since I've never used any before, I probably wouldn't miss them.
The construction worries me somewhat. For $900, a camera should last a lifetime of "reasonable use". Not having held one in my clumsy mitts I couldn't say yet how I felt about it.

Anyone else care to express an opinion?

jwarthman

« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2003, 09:29:27 pm »

Danno,
I think you did a great job in summarizing the differences. Also, I agree with Joe's comments regarding the buffer size.

White balance is not an issue if you shoot RAW.
Ditto for RAW+JPEG
I shoot almost entirely RAW+JPEG with a 1Ds. For me, I would miss the ability to control JPEG size that "comes with" the RAW. Specifically, I set mine to small JPEG so it won't take up so much space on my CF card. Even so, a small JPEG is perfrectly adequate for reviewing my images and deciding which ones I wish to convert from RAW to 16-bit TIFFs.

No PC terminal would mean no strobes in a studio! This would be a huge loss for a pro.
Well, if you're shooting in a studio, you may already have such things as wireless triggers that mount on the hot shoe, e.g.Canon ST-E2 or the Pocket Wizard. I presume these would still work on the 300D.

Best Regards,

-- Jim

Scott_H

« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2003, 11:16:43 am »

I'm concerned about durability as well.

I would wait until the rebel is available in stores, and handle both cameras.  The film rebels don't feel very solid, and I would be worried about breaking it.
[url=http://scottsblog.my-expressions.co

d2frette

• http://
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2003, 04:14:39 pm »

Controls: Focus mode missing from LCD display; quickdial replaced with buttons

Custom Functions: None!
IMHO:

4 frame buffer could be a killer... loss sof quickdial would (maybe not?) mean longer time to ratchet up/down the aperature/shutter (and sometimes it's a split-second shot)... and no CF's???  Can one still clean the sensor?
David M. Frette.  
Programming, Photo

Jeff Donald

• Florida Center for Creative Photography
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2003, 12:52:02 am »

Sensor cleaning is a menu item, not a custom function.

d2frette

• http://
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2003, 01:39:24 am »

Hey Jeff - I realized that but I couldn't edit my post...I was getting timeout issues.  For me, the 4 frame buffer is the real killer.
David M. Frette.  
Programming, Photo
Pages: [1]   Go Up