Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sharpening in Canon DPP  (Read 5977 times)

Mike Sellers

• Mike Sellers Photography
Sharpening in Canon DPP
« on: May 08, 2010, 06:47:36 pm »

I have been processing my 1dS Mark II images with a sharpening setting of 3. I just tried a setting of 10 and my results look much better. Does anyone else use a setting of 10? Is this too much sharpening at the raw stage?

Bart_van_der_Wolf

Sharpening in Canon DPP
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2010, 07:16:34 pm »

Quote from: Mike Sellers
I have been processing my 1dS Mark II images with a sharpening setting of 3. I just tried a setting of 10 and my results look much better. Does anyone else use a setting of 10? Is this too much sharpening at the raw stage?

Hi Mike,

On the 1Ds2, in my experience, a setting of 3 is usually best (for images that are not affected by diffraction too much), unless the lens or shooting conditions dictates otherwise.

Cheers,
Bart
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

Chris_Brown

• Smile dammit!
    • Chris Brown Photography
Sharpening in Canon DPP
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2010, 09:39:01 am »

The sharpening level in the Raw tab is dependent on the content of the image and, to some degree, the setting of sharpening in the RGB tab. For example, a portrait of a baby (smooth skin) will use a lower raw sharpening setting than a landscape image. I've never used a setting of 10, though. Too harsh for my tastes, plus I prefer to apply a sharpening layer and mask out the areas I don't want affected.
~ CB
Pages: [1]   Go Up