Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Open image into camera raw from CS5  (Read 27863 times)

mdijb

• mdiimaging.com
Open image into camera raw from CS5
« on: May 08, 2010, 02:53:54 pm »

I have a 16 bit Tiff file open in CS5.  I want to open it in camera raw to make adjustments.  I learned the file must be flatten, but after that I am stuck..How can I open this file in ACR, save the changes and then get back to photoshop?

MDIJB
mdiimaging.com

dgberg

• http://bergsprintstudio.com http://bergscustomfurniture.com
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2010, 07:31:41 pm »

With Lightroom its a piece of cake. Since I use Lightroom for just about everything I can open a tiff file in Lightroom right click to edit in photoshop for a little pixel work. When done just click close and save and it goes right back to Lightroom as a tiff for more work in Lightrooms develop module/ACR if you want.
Sorry I know you did not say a thing about Lightroom but they work so nice together.
I am sure someone will chime in with the answer.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2010, 07:44:31 pm by Dan Berg »

Raw shooter

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2010, 07:53:24 pm »

Quote from: mdijb
I have a 16 bit Tiff file open in CS5.  I want to open it in camera raw to make adjustments.  I learned the file must be flatten, but after that I am stuck..How can I open this file in ACR, save the changes and then get back to photoshop?

MDIJB

In ACR, after you make your edits, just click the Open Image button.  The 16 bit TIFF, with the new edits, will open in PS5.
You could go through the Save Image button, but that is a wasted effort if you want it open in PS5 anyway.

Peter McLennan

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2010, 11:17:45 pm »

MDIJB

To open a TIFF in Camera Raw, In Bridge/Camera Raw Preferences, temporarily check the box "Always open TIFF files with settings using Camera Raw"
The same applies to JPGs.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2010, 11:18:02 pm by Peter McLennan »

mcbroomf

• Mike Broomfield
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2010, 11:25:32 am »

If you only want to do this occasionally use OPEN AS rather than OPEN to select the file.  Choose your TIF file, then change the OPEN AS format to RAW.

mdijb

• mdiimaging.com
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2010, 02:32:31 pm »

If I understand you correctly, I would have to duplicate the file, flatten it. save it, and then open using the "open as smart object" as a raw file.  This did work but when the file was edited and then saved it save as 8bit file, instead of the 16 bit file I started with.  Idid not see a place to keep it a 16 Bit file.

Is this the correct procedure?  Is there a way to retain the 16 bit file?

MDIJB
« Last Edit: May 09, 2010, 02:33:09 pm by mdijb »
mdiimaging.com

Wolfman

• www.bernardwolf.com
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2010, 02:54:36 pm »

If I understand you correctly, I would have to duplicate the file, flatten it. save it, and then open using the "open as smart object" as a raw file.  This did work but when the file was edited and then saved it save as 8bit file, instead of the 16 bit file I started with.  Idid not see a place to keep it a 16 Bit file.

Is this the correct procedure?  Is there a way to retain the 16 bit file?

MDIJB

In the Camera Raw window under the image you will see letters in blue where you set your your workflow options... click on the blue letters and make sure you have 16 bit set in those options... you might have it set at 8 bits right now.

mdijb

• mdiimaging.com
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2010, 06:47:11 pm »

Quote from: Wolfman
In the Camera Raw window under the image you will see letters in blue where you set your your workflow options... click on the blue letters and make sure you have 16 bit set in those options... you might have it set at 8 bits right now.

Thanks for the info.  Sure wish there were a simpler method of using Camera midstream while fine tuning an image.

MDIJB
mdiimaging.com

sjprg

« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2010, 11:29:20 am »

Thanks for the info.  Sure wish there were a simpler method of using Camera midstream while fine tuning an image.

MDIJB

In Bridge look on the top toolbar. There is an iris icon, hover on it and it will say "Open in Raw".
Paul

AFairley

« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2010, 02:27:30 pm »

Thanks for the info. Sure wish there were a simpler method of using Camera midstream while fine tuning an image.

Well, you really want to start in ACR and open the image as a smart object in Photoshop from there, then you can go back and forth directly between the two as much as you want.
Pages: [1]   Go Up