Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Alpa = just good marketing spin or real advantage?  (Read 7554 times)

KevinA

• Tree Without a Bird
Alpa = just good marketing spin or real advantage?
« Reply #20 on: May 10, 2010, 06:55:51 am »

As I don't have cause for either an Cambo or an Alpa I can spend your money without worrying about being correct or not. Life in general I find spending the extra has mostly been the wise choice, cheaper often looks like more for your money, time often proves differently. I would bet five years down the road the Alpa still works like silk over glass and has held it's tolerance to be exactly as they are when new. If it isn't going to stop food on my table or lose the roof over my head I go for the best.

Kevin.
Kevin.

Jeffreytotaro

« Reply #21 on: May 10, 2010, 01:49:45 pm »

Hi Paul:

I sent you a PM.
Jeffrey Totaro
[url=http://www.jeffreyto

PaulSchneider

« Reply #22 on: May 12, 2010, 01:38:43 am »

@KevinRaber

Thank you very much for your comment regarding your shimming experience on the workshop. But this to me begs one question: If the backs produced are all a little different, like Alpa says, - due to the high demands in terms of factory tolerances - does this mean that on systems where there's no possibility to shim, e.g. on a Phase One body itself, the infinity sharpness of one setup might be totally different than a random other one? I mean if Alpas enable one to do shimming and this apparently helps in sharpness, this implies that there's a real possibility of sub-optimal image sharpness on non-shimmable systems that cannot be influenced by the user?

@Jeffrey: I will respond personally to you!

Thank you all for your wise insights, very intersting!

schaubild

« Reply #23 on: May 12, 2010, 09:03:31 am »

The basic misconception of most (tech) camera makers is that digibacks don't have manufacturing tolerances, which is obviously not the case. In fact the manufacturers even change specifications from time to time, like changing the protective glass and filters in front of the sensor without notice. You won't have many problems with retrofocus lenses, as they are not so sensitive for changes in the flange distance by design. But each refraction or surface change of the light that's passing through a lens you pay with lesser performance. Retrofocus constructions are unfortunately required to compensate for the mirror box in SLR cameras.

Tech cameras with symmetrical (or kind of) lenses which are optimized for digital capture don't have these issues. But they are significantly more sensitive regarding flange distances or variations with sensor flatness. This goes especially for wideangle constructions. You need to consistently produce with very tight tolerances to be able to reliably measure (and handle) these differences, otherwise the perfect calibration of a system will be a matter of guessing and luck. In there lies the advantage of the Alpa platform, once a back is calibrated you can rely on that it will work perfect on any combination of camera and lens. This might not be too important if your manufacturer offers only one camera, but if you can switch between six models, depending on the job you have to do, it's crucial.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2010, 05:37:29 am by schaubild »

vgogolak

• http://
« Reply #24 on: May 12, 2010, 01:23:46 pm »

I have had the Alpa TC for several years and first used with P45+ with wakeup grip from Alpa and worked well.

I now have a P65+ and it is really a great match; no wake up, zero latency and on my last trek with the 35mm S-K was as easy as a P&S.

regards
Victor
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up