Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 5dmII Long Exp. NR  (Read 2738 times)

markgoble

5dmII Long Exp. NR
« on: May 07, 2010, 12:41:21 pm »

Hello, I'm new to digital capture and post process, Photoshop ect. Previous work 6x7 and 4x5. My question is,   Should i turn my 5dmII LONG EXP. NR on or off? I shoot RAW, MANUAL SETTING, EXP. RANGE IS 1 SEC. TO A FEW MINUTES ( no night photograpy ), i shoot this way 99% of the time. AM I BETTER OFF TURNING IT ON OR     OFF AND USING PHOTOSHOP TO WORK ON THE NOISE? I am just now ready to dive into cs4, i have no post process experience. THANKS,   MARK

Doug Peterson

• http://www.doug-peterson.com
5dmII Long Exp. NR
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2010, 02:14:39 pm »

Quote from: markgoble
Hello, I'm new to digital capture and post process, Photoshop ect. Previous work 6x7 and 4x5. My question is,   Should i turn my 5dmII LONG EXP. NR on or off? I shoot RAW, MANUAL SETTING, EXP. RANGE IS 1 SEC. TO A FEW MINUTES ( no night photograpy ), i shoot this way 99% of the time. AM I BETTER OFF TURNING IT ON OR     OFF AND USING PHOTOSHOP TO WORK ON THE NOISE? I am just now ready to dive into cs4, i have no post process experience. THANKS,   MARK

You should also experiment with different raw processors and raw processing noise reduction settings. I've found Capture One does a much nicer job with Canon raw files regarding high ISOs or long exposures.

Coming from 4x5 and 6x7 I think you'll be very disappointed by the final print quality from the 5DII when doing exposures this long. Maybe you should consider renting or at least evaluating a Phase One P+ digital back  for this project. They are the best systems in the world for long exposures and would offer you the high quality you're used to from 4x5 and 6x7 (a selfish suggestion considering that my company rents and sells these backs but one I make on the technical merits).

Doug Peterson
Newsletter: Read Latest or Sign Up
RSS Feed: Subscribe
Buy Capture One at 10% off
Personal Work

markgoble

5dmII Long Exp. NR
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2010, 02:21:43 pm »

Quote from: dougpetersonci
You should also experiment with different raw processors and raw processing noise reduction settings. I've found Capture One does a much nicer job with Canon raw files regarding high ISOs or long exposures.

Coming from 4x5 and 6x7 I think you'll be very disappointed by the final print quality from the 5DII when doing exposures this long. Maybe you should consider renting or at least evaluating a Phase One P+ digital back  for this project. They are the best systems in the world for long exposures and would offer you the high quality you're used to from 4x5 and 6x7 (a selfish suggestion considering that my company rents and sells these backs but one I make on the technical merits).

Doug Peterson
Personal Work
« Last Edit: May 07, 2010, 02:39:15 pm by markgoble »

markgoble

5dmII Long Exp. NR
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2010, 02:25:15 pm »

Quote from: dougpetersonci

Doug Peterson
Personal Work

markgoble

5dmII Long Exp. NR
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2010, 02:30:57 pm »

Thanks Doug, i know it sounds crazy to go to DSLR from MED. or LARGE format but i'm in a jam. I moved to a area of a country that has NO PRO LAB SERVICES.

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
5dmII Long Exp. NR
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2010, 03:13:41 pm »

Actually the 5D MKII can do very well with longer exposures, up to 50 minutes in my experience.  
I leave the long exposure noise reduction set to "on" not auto.   These exposures were for star trail
work.  

The 5D MKII will take a dark frame the same length of time as the original frame. net 50 minute exposure, then a dark frame for 50 minutes.  
Make sure you have a fully charged battery, I have the grip which allows the use of 2.  You don't have to wait the full 50 minutes to shoot again
as the camera will be available to shoot within 30 sec to 1 minute.  However you have to wait until the red light is off before you turn it off.  

From my everyday use, the 5D MKII up to 10 minutes is as clean as any camera I have used only the new Nikon D3s (very impressive) seems
better.  Past 10 minutes, you will start to see a good bit of noise, but as Doug mentioned, the latest version of Capture One 5.x will take the vast
majority of this noise out.    The noise will look very bad on the LCD, but don't let that worry you, until you open the file in a raw converter, make
sure you use raw also.  

Lightroom 2.x does not seem to work as well on these really long exposures, I have not tried the beta 3.x yet.

In you question, you mentioned 1 minute to a couple of minutes, from my experience, you should not have any problems
with a 5D MKII here, noise will be very low as long as you stay at ISO 50 or 100.

Paul Caldwell
Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

markgoble

5dmII Long Exp. NR
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2010, 04:44:56 pm »

Thanks, Paul

marcmccalmont

5dmII Long Exp. NR
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2010, 02:30:08 am »

About a year ago I tested my 5D mkII and the noise was lower with NR OFF up to 2 min exposures and lower with NR ON longer than 5 min exposures
I clean up the images in post selecting the shadows in select color range and using weak noise setting in noiseware pro then inverting the selection and sharpening with focus fixer
Marc
Marc McCalmont
Pages: [1]   Go Up