Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: the view from my new home  (Read 17431 times)

shutterpup

the view from my new home
« on: May 06, 2010, 05:21:10 pm »

« Last Edit: May 06, 2010, 07:43:18 pm by shutterpup »

DarkPenguin

« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2010, 05:43:44 pm »

"This photo is currently unavailable"

shutterpup

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2010, 07:44:45 pm »

Quote from: DarkPenguin
"This photo is currently unavailable"

Available now.

fredjeang

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2010, 08:45:03 pm »

Whao. Wonderfull location. Where is that?

Actually, be carrefull of the floods, after the worsed monsson winter we had in Madrid (yes it rains in Madrid...from time to time), the weather is becoming halth crazy.
I don't trust any more the global warming. Seems more than we are going to face soon another ice age, we have the coldest temperature from 1902.
Spring, may, Madrid, Spain, writing now absolutely freezed.

shutterpup

« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2010, 11:35:05 pm »

Quote from: fredjeang

Actually, be carrefull of the floods, after the worsed monsson winter we had in Madrid (yes it rains in Madrid...from time to time), the weather is becoming halth crazy.
I don't trust any more the global warming. Seems more than we are going to face soon another ice age, we have the coldest temperature from 1902.

Fred,
This is NorthEastern Oklahoma Grand Lake country. There are numerous small towns around the lake which is about 12 miles long. We are about half a city block from the lake's edge. The owner of the RV park swears that the actual park never floods although the adjacent storage lot will flood with enough rain.

I agree that we are headed toward another ice age of sorts.

Rob C

« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2010, 04:05:45 am »

Quote from: fredjeang

Fred, when my daughter came to spend some days with me just before the airport closures, she also brought me a pair of those gloves without tips on the fingers so that I could still work the mouse without losing the feeling in my hands because of the dampness and cold here. I have not used them yet: it's the damn tips of the fingers that get the loss of feeling the most! Does my daughter really, really love me at all?

Rob C

Justan

• Justan-Elk.com
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2010, 11:39:08 am »

Try a trackball. They are a little difficult for some to learn but cause a whole lot less stress in the hand, arm shoulder, neck...

Some people (me) even have a traditional mouse plus a trackball and switch back and forth  

shutterpup

« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2010, 04:58:09 pm »

I'd like to take this opportunity to acknowledge the hijacking of my thread by Rob C and Justan. Fred is fine; no problem there.

All I'd like is some helpful critique. I thought that's what this part of the forum is for.

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2010, 08:11:27 pm »

Well, the location looks beautiful.  As to the image, I'd put it in the 'nice, but not spectacular' category.

Mike.
If your mind is attuned t

DarkPenguin

« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2010, 08:13:30 pm »

Color is nice.  I don't care for the foreground.

shutterpup

« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2010, 05:09:31 pm »

Quote from: wolfnowl
Well, the location looks beautiful.  As to the image, I'd put it in the 'nice, but not spectacular' category.

Mike.

Mike,
I'm curious as to what I could have done when I took this to make it become closer to "spectacular" category?

shutterpup

« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2010, 05:12:23 pm »

Quote from: DarkPenguin
Color is nice.  I don't care for the foreground.

I don't particularly either. But then I feel it's incomplete without a foreground literally of ground that bounds that lake. What would you have done differently at the time of shooting? I ask that specifically because I can crop the heck out of it afterwards but would prefer to improve my initial composition skills.

I too like the color.

John R

« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2010, 09:28:01 pm »

Quote from: shutterpup
I don't particularly either. But then I feel it's incomplete without a foreground literally of ground that bounds that lake. What would you have done differently at the time of shooting? I ask that specifically because I can crop the heck out of it afterwards but would prefer to improve my initial composition skills.

I too like the color.
I agree with Mike. But I would not fret about it too much, it's pretty good. We all have to accept that some of our images are going to be better than others, or at any rate, more or less appealing than other images. What to do to improve the image? I am not sure there is anything to improve. However, I can suggest that you try to reshoot another time and wait for a coloured sky and use a split neutral density filter to retain the balance of land and sky. Twilight, whether morning or night, is the best for even light of broad scene. To me, the more uninteresting, or silhouette-like a composition, the more you should keep your foreground to a minimum, like a sliver, allowing the water and sky to dominate even more. If the sun was behind you going down, this is the magic time where the land and sky are almost evenly lit, and it should allow for the foreground to be more visible and less silhouette-like. Having said all that, one should allow a feeling for the scene to dictate the actual composition.

JMR
« Last Edit: May 08, 2010, 09:30:31 pm by John R »

shutterpup

« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2010, 11:33:06 pm »

John,
Thank you for a thoughtful response that provides me with something besides my gut feeling as a guide the many next times that I make a photograph. You succeeded in addressing my foremost concerns of composition along with the lighting.

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2010, 11:42:39 pm »

Mike,
I'm curious as to what I could have done when I took this to make it become closer to "spectacular" category?
Who's to say?  Different perspective, different scene, different lens, different...  The colour of the sunset is nice, but there isn't anything in the image to hold interest.  Now, that's only my opinion.  If you like it, that's what's most important.

Mike.
If your mind is attuned t

shutterpup

« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2010, 12:48:13 am »

Quote from: wolfnowl
Who's to say?  Different perspective, different scene, different lens, different...  The colour of the sunset is nice, but there isn't anything in the image to hold interest.  Now, that's only my opinion.  If you like it, that's what's most important.

Mike.

Ok. I get it. It makes me think of the line about a picture being about "just another sunset." There really doesn't appear to be anything beyond the color of the twilit sky. I find that this place rests my spirit better than any other I've found. The quietness, calmness, the near solitude in spite of this being an RV park of some 120 spaces.  I was trying to create a photo that spoke of these feelings. Perhaps including a figure would have helped me to achieve more of a sense of it.

shutterpup

« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2010, 12:53:20 am »

Sorry. Double post.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2010, 12:56:45 am by shutterpup »

Rob C

« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2010, 11:08:05 am »

I find that this place rests my spirit better than any other I've found. The quietness, calmness, the ...

That's probably why all of us have drifted into the arms of LuLa - calm, peace, cordiality, it's all here!

Rob C

fredjeang

« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2010, 12:10:35 pm »

Quote from: Rob C
That's probably why all of us have drifted into the arms of LuLa - calm, peace, cordiality, it's all here!

Rob C
Except when 35mm vs MFD shows up

DarkPenguin

« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2010, 01:21:17 pm »

I too like the color.

Without being there I really don't know.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up