Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: DAM - Bucket Method Utility  (Read 1406 times)

Nick Rains

• http://www.nickrains.com
DAM - Bucket Method Utility
« on: May 06, 2010, 02:37:40 am »

I have been using the bucket method of archiving as popularised by Peter Krogh. It works well but selecting files to fill up a 4.7Gb DVD is tedious when you have 15 to fill. I looked for some utilities and found The Big Mean Folder machine for Mac but since my archive is PC based it was no good to me. There seems nothing for PC except an old version of Michael Tapes Archive Creator which is no longer available and was not quite what I was after.

So I made my own.

It simply copies files out of the original folder to a new folder until it the new folder has filled up to a specified amount, and then makes a new folder with an incremented name, and adds files to that until it too is full, and so on. It's just finished, maybe a few tweaks are needed, but if anyone would like a copy to play with email me and I'll send you a download link. It's not pretty, and it does just the one thing, but I just copied 3500 DNG files to 15 4.7Gb folders in a set-and-forget operation. This would have taken me ages manually selecting sets of files totalling 4.5Gb and then copying to a new folder. It lacks a burn feature but that could be added if it seems useful.

Nick Rains
nicholascrains@gmail.com
Nick Rains
Australian Photographer Leica

Farmer

DAM - Bucket Method Utility
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2010, 04:28:16 am »

I've dropped you email, Nick.

Also, you may like to check out scripting using Directory Opus to achieve something similar.  Easily the best file management piece of software I've ever seen.  There might already even exist appropriate scripts or other ways of doing this with it, or the guys at GPSoft might be able to add in such functionality.

Looking forward to testing your app.
Phil Brown
Pages: [1]   Go Up