Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: CS5 HDR Pro first impressions  (Read 7314 times)

walter.sk

CS5 HDR Pro first impressions
« on: May 05, 2010, 09:03:04 pm »

I've been using Photomatix and HDR PhotoStudio for my HDR work, having given up on CS4's HDR.  I've developed good facility with the 2 programs, and like the results I get with each.

I have now played a bit with CS5's HDR Pro and like it very much.  My workflow has been to point it at a folder and select the RAW files, usually a sequence of 5.  Usually leaving the setting on "Default," it takes a minimum of adjusting the various sliders, giving me lots of control over the tone mapping.  The blending is as good as both Photomatix and HDR PhotoStudio, with excellent ghost removal when needed.  However, I find some controls lacking:

1:  I have not discovered any way to save the 32-bit Radiance file of the unmapped HDR image.  I like saving those because it facilitates doing several versions of tone mapping without having to go through the Merge To HDR part separately for each.

2:  I have not discovered any way to change the white balance setting prior to converting to a 16-bit file.  Would it work to adjust WB in the RAW files first and click Done, before opening them in HDR Pro?

3:  Ditto for the black and white points.

4: While the Vibrance and Saturation sliders are useful, Photomatix allows you to set the highlight and shadow saturation separately.

5: HDR PhotoStudio allows you some other very useful controls, and also lets you work entirely in 32-bit color as well as saving the tonemapped file as a 32-bit file.

Points 2, 3 and 4 above really help me get more precise control over the final results before the actual tonemapping settings get translated into a tiff or other 16 bit file, and it seems to me that the more operations you can do before the conversion the kinder the results are in terms of being conservative of as much of the data as possible.

In all, though, I think HDR Pro is head and shoulders above CS4's implementation of HDR.

After my self-edit:

I discovered that I can set the black and white points with the Curves in the HDR Pro dialogue, and that I can change the WB in Adobe Camera Raw and sync the setting to the other files.

Still have no way to save the actual HDR file before it gets converted.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2010, 09:23:08 pm by walter.sk »

MichaelJames

• http://www.hdriblog.com
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2010, 02:26:06 pm »

Quote from: walter.sk
1:  I have not discovered any way to save the 32-bit Radiance file of the unmapped HDR image.  I like saving those because it facilitates doing several versions of tone mapping without having to go through the Merge To HDR part separately for each.

The drop down in HDR Pro defaults to 16 bit.  All you do is change that drop down to 32 bit and you can save the file as a .PSD, .EXR, .HDR, etc.

So if you took exposures into photoshop cs5 and chose: "Merge to HDR Pro" you can still use the Ghosting checkbox to handle ghosting, but then simply change the dropdown to 32 bit mode to save it.  Then once saved you can tonemap various versions from that saved 32 bit file by chosing IMAGE>16bit which will invoke the HDR Pro interface.

If you like the settings during tonemapping, then before you exit the HDR Pro interface, save a preset.

Right to the right of the presets drop down at the top is a typical Adobe interface square to click and from there you can "Save Preset" or "Load Preset".  Save your current settings by choosing Save Preset and name it.  Then you can export the current tonemapped image with these settings, but then reload the original 32 bit file, IMAGE>16bit which brings back HDR Pro interface and then from that top preset drop down your just saved preset will appear.  Choose it and then change sliders as needed to export a different version.

Got it?  
« Last Edit: May 08, 2010, 02:27:34 pm by MichaelJames »

walter.sk

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2010, 10:25:12 am »

Quote from: MichaelJames
The drop down in HDR Pro defaults to 16 bit.  All you do is change that drop down to 32 bit and you can save the file as a .PSD, .EXR, .HDR, etc.

So if you took exposures into photoshop cs5 and chose: "Merge to HDR Pro" you can still use the Ghosting checkbox to handle ghosting, but then simply change the dropdown to 32 bit mode to save it.  Then once saved you can tonemap various versions from that saved 32 bit file by chosing IMAGE>16bit which will invoke the HDR Pro interface.

If you like the settings during tonemapping, then before you exit the HDR Pro interface, save a preset.

Right to the right of the presets drop down at the top is a typical Adobe interface square to click and from there you can "Save Preset" or "Load Preset".  Save your current settings by choosing Save Preset and name it.  Then you can export the current tonemapped image with these settings, but then reload the original 32 bit file, IMAGE>16bit which brings back HDR Pro interface and then from that top preset drop down your just saved preset will appear.  Choose it and then change sliders as needed to export a different version.

Got it?  

Got it!  So now, the only thing I can't find in the HDR Pro routine is how to control the white balance other than first synchronizing the raw files in ACR with only the white balance setting selected.

I am very pleased with the results of HDR Pro, and am discovering more about it as I go along.

MichaelJames

• http://www.hdriblog.com
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2010, 08:57:08 pm »

Quote from: walter.sk
Got it!  So now, the only thing I can't find in the HDR Pro routine is how to control the white balance other than first synchronizing the raw files in ACR with only the white balance setting selected.

Well that is one of a few disappointments with HDR Pro.  Really would have liked to have seen a white balance tool in that interface.

LKaven

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2010, 11:32:54 pm »

In general, I'd say do not do white balance during RAW capture when doing HDR.  What you have after merging to HDR is an extremely information rich representation that is robust for white balancing, more than a RAW file.  If you do white balancing on RAW, you are essentially throwing away some information (times N exposures), and that compromises the integrity of the HDR.  I don't know if you can WB a 32-bit image with CS5, but that would be the best if it were possible.

walter.sk

« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2010, 11:04:48 am »

Quote from: LKaven
In general, I'd say do not do white balance during RAW capture when doing HDR.  What you have after merging to HDR is an extremely information rich representation that is robust for white balancing, more than a RAW file.  If you do white balancing on RAW, you are essentially throwing away some information (times N exposures), and that compromises the integrity of the HDR.  I don't know if you can WB a 32-bit image with CS5, but that would be the best if it were possible.
I agree.  The closest you can come to adjusting the white balance while in the 32-bit HDR format is to adjust Levels individually for each channel, use the gray eyedropper, or try Hue & Saturation's Hue slider (not very pretty). Nothing as simple as a slider to make the color balance cooler or warmer, as you can before committing the tone mapping in Photomatix or HDR Photosudio.

However, CS5's HDR Pro is a giant step above the previous HDR implementation.

BobFisher

« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2010, 09:32:33 pm »

Walter, ACR doesn't have the capability of handling 32 bit files so adjusting WB in ACR isn't possible.  

I find the WB adjustments in Photomatix and other HDR apps to be pretty clunky.  The one that seems to work reasonably well is HDR PhotoStudio.

What you can do (and this worked in previous versions of PS to CS3 Extended) is perform 'soft tonemapping' on the 32 bit file.  You can apply some adjustment layers, H/S being one, and use that to colour balance the 32 bit file (which is essentially what WB is).  You noted that in your last response.  I don't fine the H/S adjustment approach to be as 'not pretty' as you do.  You can also apply the Photo Filter adjustment which can act as a global warming or cooling effect.  Apply it on a layer with adjusted Opacity, Blend Mode and masking out certain areas if desired and you can get a more customised result.  If you want to save that 32 bit file with layers intact (you have to merge layers when invoking the tonemapping operators) to come back to in the future, you can save the file as a PSD (EXR and HDR don't support layers).  PSD (since, I think, CS2) supports 32 bit files.

I wrote a review on HDR Pro recently and though there are some things I'd like to see improved, it's a big step up from what Adobe's had before and while there are still things that could be better, that's true of all HDR apps.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2010, 09:33:56 pm by BobFisher »

walter.sk

« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2010, 10:12:25 am »

"Walter, ACR doesn't have the capability of handling 32 bit files so adjusting WB in ACR isn't possible. "
--I realize that.  The way I did it was to change the WB settings in the individual RAW files prior to merging to HDR.  It does work, although the results in the 32-bit merged file are not always what I had hoped for.

"I find the WB adjustments in Photomatix and other HDR apps to be pretty clunky.  The one that seems to work reasonably well is HDR PhotoStudio."
--In Photomatix, I usually leave the WB slider on "0," only changing it for a warming or cooling effect.  I agree that HDR PhotoStudio gives more control.  I am stil having problems mastering the HDR PhotoStudio controls because of their complexity, especially the interaction with their Radius sliders.  I do feel, though, that their attempt to separate the color from tonality (something like LAB channels, I suppose) ultimately gives better control over both.

"What you can do (and this worked in previous versions of PS to CS3 Extended) is perform 'soft tonemapping' on the 32 bit file.  You can apply some adjustment layers, H/S being one, and use that to colour balance the 32 bit file (which is essentially what WB is).  You noted that in your last response.  I don't fine the H/S adjustment approach to be as 'not pretty' as you do.  You can also apply the Photo Filter adjustment which can act as a global warming or cooling effect.  Apply it on a layer with adjusted Opacity, Blend Mode and masking out certain areas if desired and you can get a more customised result.  If you want to save that 32 bit file with layers intact (you have to merge layers when invoking the tonemapping operators) to come back to in the future, you can save the file as a PSD (EXR and HDR don't support layers).  PSD (since, I think, CS2) supports 32 bit files."
--The "soft tonemapping" approach does work, and I have tried the Photo Filter adjustment with satisfactory results.  I hadn't thought of saving the file as a PSD to retain the 32-bit file with layers intact.

"I wrote a review on HDR Pro recently and though there are some things I'd like to see improved, it's a big step up from what Adobe's had before and while there are still things that could be better, that's true of all HDR apps."
--Very nice review of both HDR Pro and Photomatix.  I'd love to see what you do in your  HDR PhotoStudio review.  This is a program that shows great promise, and seems to be much less known by HDR devotees than it should be.

BobFisher

« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2010, 01:31:11 pm »

Using PSD is something I only discovered relatively recently.  HDRPS is on the list of apps. I'm going to write up.  And you're right, it's a good one.

benoit@benoitmalphettes.com

• http://Benoit.LA
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2010, 09:50:45 am »

As I am getting ready to upgrade from plain CS4 version to CS5, is the Extended Version worth the cost? I am now exploring HDR and am not sure of the limitations of the plain version re this aspect.
Thanks
Benoit

BobFisher

« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2010, 10:27:58 am »

It's my understanding that the enhanced HDR functionality that used to be part of the Extended package is now part of the standard offering in CS5.

benoit@benoitmalphettes.com

• http://Benoit.LA
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2010, 12:40:20 pm »

Thanks
Pages: [1]   Go Up