Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Snow Leopard 7600 Solution  (Read 3345 times)

Scott Martinez

Snow Leopard 7600 Solution
« on: May 05, 2010, 10:48:10 am »

It seems the only way to get a working printer driver is to take an old iMac G5 and make it dedicated to print to my recently acquired Epson 7600. If I hear all you right, there is to be no Snow Leopard driver for this printer. In theory, I could edit on my current system any prints that I want to make on the 7600, save them to the iMac with Tiger or Leopard and print from there right? Did the Leopard drivers get fully supported?

Anyway, I just wanted to check and see if I was missing something with this workflow other then its a pain.

Thanks,
Scott

francois

« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2010, 11:14:45 am »

Quote from: Scott Martinez
It seems the only way to get a working printer driver is to take an old iMac G5 and make it dedicated to print to my recently acquired Epson 7600. If I hear all you right, there is to be no Snow Leopard driver for this printer. In theory, I could edit on my current system any prints that I want to make on the 7600, save them to the iMac with Tiger or Leopard and print from there right? Did the Leopard drivers get fully supported?

Anyway, I just wanted to check and see if I was missing something with this workflow other then its a pain.

Thanks,
Scott
Scott,
On the Epson European website (didn't check the US site), drivers for the 7600 have been updated on the 12th of April 2010 (now at version 8.19).

You could download them and try to see if your printer works with them. Here's the link to the EU website:

http://esupport.epson-europe.com/ProductHo...EU003D&tc=6

or

http://tinyurl.com/2vww7x8

Edit: the additional info says: This version is adding support for Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard)
« Last Edit: May 05, 2010, 11:16:23 am by francois »
Francois

Scott Martinez

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2010, 04:59:19 pm »

Thanks for the link. It looks like the new driver works well so far with Epson papers. I tried running from Breathing Color canvas and it seems to ignore the Breathing Color profile and use the Radiant White Water Color instead. There is no "No Color Correction" and the driver seems to be be tied to to a Colorsync workflow. I'll try some searching to see if anyone has a work flow with this new driver... Ugh!

-Scott

Quote from: francois
Scott,
On the Epson European website (didn't check the US site), drivers for the 7600 have been updated on the 12th of April 2010 (now at version 8.19).

You could download them and try to see if your printer works with them. Here's the link to the EU website:

http://esupport.epson-europe.com/ProductHo...EU003D&tc=6

or

http://tinyurl.com/2vww7x8

Edit: the additional info says: This version is adding support for Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard)

Scott Martinez

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2010, 08:53:29 pm »

I was wrong. The first prints on closer inspection look a little like when I've had a color space mismatch when printing to the Colorburst RIP on my 3800. I think I got it close by opening Colorsync and changing the profile of the Watercolor Radiant White to the Breathing Color profile then doing a standard "Photoshop Manages" and selecting Watercolor Radiant White. Its kind of a pain though. When I let the printer manage, the color is pretty neutral with no cast, but way under saturated. I'll keep playing with it but let me know if you guys know something I don't.

Thanks,
Scott

Thanks for the link. It looks like the new driver works well so far with Epson papers. I tried running from Breathing Color canvas and it seems to ignore the Breathing Color profile and use the Radiant White Water Color instead. There is no "No Color Correction" and the driver seems to be be tied to to a Colorsync workflow. I'll try some searching to see if anyone has a work flow with this new driver... Ugh!

-Scott

francois

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2010, 05:31:29 am »

I was wrong. The first prints on closer inspection look a little like when I've had a color space mismatch when printing to the Colorburst RIP on my 3800. I think I got it close by opening Colorsync and changing the profile of the Watercolor Radiant White to the Breathing Color profile then doing a standard "Photoshop Manages" and selecting Watercolor Radiant White. Its kind of a pain though. When I let the printer manage, the color is pretty neutral with no cast, but way under saturated. I'll keep playing with it but let me know if you guys know something I don't.

Thanks,
Scott
FWIW, I print with Photoshop manages colors and have set my printer's default profile to Generic RGB in ColorSync. I had to do that to avoid the "salmon" issue (widely discussed on this forum).

Edit: I'm still printing with Photoshop CS3, not CS4.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2010, 06:18:12 am by francois »
Francois

eddysmit

« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2010, 07:28:00 am »

I get hopeless dark and almost black results when I print dark parts and shadows with Snow, CS4 using profiles under the CS4 print dialog.
Now I read that you can change something in colorsync?
Can you please explain what en where?
This is new for me and maybe the sollution for my problem.

francois

« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2010, 07:58:56 am »

Quote from: eddysmit
I get hopeless dark and almost black results when I print dark parts and shadows with Snow, CS4 using profiles under the CS4 print dialog.
Now I read that you can change something in colorsync?
Can you please explain what en where?
This is new for me and maybe the sollution for my problem.
First, let me say that I don't use CS4. I skipped CS4 and went from CS3 to CS5 - although I haven't printed yet from CS5.
The salmon issue was related to highlites being printed as a pink or salmon color when using "Photoshop manages colors". The issue could be solved by using the ColorSync utility and setting the default printer profile to Generic RGB.
I don't know if your problem with dark tones can be solved by this work-around but it's just a 30-second job.

You can read about this issue in these discussion threads:

http://luminous-landscape.com/forum/index....1&hl=salmon
http://luminous-landscape.com/forum/index....2&hl=salmon
http://luminous-landscape.com/forum/index....0&hl=salmon

Good luck.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2010, 08:19:01 am by francois »
Francois
Pages: [1]   Go Up