Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Windows 7 - Stop Losing The Display Calibration  (Read 18635 times)

OpticalMedia

Windows 7 - Stop Losing The Display Calibration
« on: May 04, 2010, 08:22:25 am »

Hi All,

I stumbled upon this link which may help ALL windows 7 users for whom calibrated displays are an intrinsic part of the work-flow. This potentially big problem does not seem to be posted anywhere on this vast Forum. So here it is.....according to this link - Windows 7 default color management MUST be changed in order for your monitor to load the calibrated profile correctly each time. Do let me know if this solves problems.

Have a good day.  

http://www.pusztaiphoto.com/articles/color...n7/default.aspx

PeterAit

• Peter Aitken Photographs
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2010, 08:45:42 am »

Quote from: OpticalMedia
Hi All,

I stumbled upon this link which may help ALL windows 7 users for whom calibrated displays are an intrinsic part of the work-flow. This potentially big problem does not seem to be posted anywhere on this vast Forum. So here it is.....according to this link - Windows 7 default color management MUST be changed in order for your monitor to load the calibrated profile correctly each time. Do let me know if this solves problems.

Have a good day.  

That seems to be a dead link.

OpticalMedia

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2010, 09:07:49 am »

Quote from: PeterAit
That seems to be a dead link.

Thank you for pointing it out I must have copied/pasted it wrong

Here it is again:

probep

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2010, 10:25:03 am »

I didn't understand why did you not delete "user level" display profile and not change "system level" display profile in your example?

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2010, 10:37:59 am »

Thanks for posting that. It is a clear and well-written piece. I am about to upgrade to Win 7 64, so it will be very handy when I do.

Eric

-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

walter.sk

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2010, 10:53:38 am »

Quote from: OpticalMedia
Hi All,

Have a good day.  

I read the article, and now I am more confused than before.  I have an i1Display2 colorimeter, NEC LCD3090 monitor and SpectraviewII software, which calibrates the display and controls its LUT, bypassing the LUT's in the video card.  On booting Win7 64-bit, sometimes the Spectraview splash screen indicating the recognition of the monitor, and the checking for the correct profile/calibration does not come up; other times it does.

I don't know whether I should ignore that (could it sometimes execute before my desktop is fully showing?) or do I have a problem with the default profile being loaded? (Device Manager shows my i1D2 as working properly.)

In the advanced settings in Display>Settings>Advanced>Color Management, my latest profile appears as the default profile.  How can I tell if it is loaded each time?

OpticalMedia

« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2010, 11:47:20 am »

Quote from: probep
I didn't understand why did you not delete "user level" display profile and not change "system level" display profile in your example?

I am not the author of this link - I simply came across while looking to calibrate my system which happens to be Windows 7. I am therefore unsure of what you are asking. Perhaps someone with more knowledge on this subject mater such as Digitaldog or Schewe could chime in?

GL

OpticalMedia

« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2010, 11:49:46 am »

Quote from: walter.sk
I read the article, and now I am more confused than before.  I have an i1Display2 colorimeter, NEC LCD3090 monitor and SpectraviewII software, which calibrates the display and controls its LUT, bypassing the LUT's in the video card.  On booting Win7 64-bit, sometimes the Spectraview splash screen indicating the recognition of the monitor, and the checking for the correct profile/calibration does not come up; other times it does.

I don't know whether I should ignore that (could it sometimes execute before my desktop is fully showing?) or do I have a problem with the default profile being loaded? (Device Manager shows my i1D2 as working properly.)

In the advanced settings in Display>Settings>Advanced>Color Management, my latest profile appears as the default profile.  How can I tell if it is loaded each time?

Good question I unfortunately do not know the answer to that question. I think I will contact the author of that link and tell him to check out the discussion...Unless someone else can help out?

jpegman

« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2010, 12:02:35 pm »

Quote from: Eric Myrvaagnes
Thanks for posting that. It is a clear and well-written piece. I am about to upgrade to Win 7 64, so it will be very handy when I do.

Eric

Don't understand what the issue is.

I have been running Win7 x64 for over 4 months and routinely calibrate my SyncMaster monitor with my Color Munki, and the XRite software properly inserts the updated profile ans labels it automatically as the default profile for the next reboot - exactly like it did in WinXP before.

Am I just lucky? I think not. Everyone else I know who uses Win7 has not complained either about losing profiles, and some of them are really persnickety.

OpticalMedia

« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2010, 12:07:53 pm »

Quote from: jpegman
Don't understand what the issue is.

I have been running Win7 x64 for over 4 months and routinely calibrate my SyncMaster monitor with my Color Munki, and the XRite software properly inserts the updated profile ans labels it automatically as the default profile for the next reboot - exactly like it did in WinXP before.

Am I just lucky? I think not. Everyone else I know who uses Win7 has not complained either about losing profiles, and some of them are really persnickety.

I have contacted the author and have asked him to join in on this discussion. What do you think he is doing in his tutorial then? I am curious to know...

LaszloPusztai

« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2010, 11:28:09 am »

Quote from: walter.sk

If you have a hardware calibrated display then Win7 stays out of the way (as you said, it bypasses the video card LUT). In this case the monitor profile (be it on system or user level) is only used by color managed application for conversions to the display space. We could say it's only metadata. Personally I'm using an EIZO CG241W with 64-bit Win7 without even installing the crappy EIZO ColorNavigator software - using basICColor Display to do the calibration.

I don't know the NECs but my EIZO holds the calibration data without need to reload anything at startup. I guess that the NEC is similar, so the Spectraview is only checking your color management setup, and it could be a Spectraview issue of failing sometimes. In this case (if the colors are also correct in both cases) I would ignore that Spectraview window (and maybe would send a mail to NEC to fix it).

BUT if Spectraview is needed to reload the monitor calibration at every startup, then you definitely have to contact NEC to fix Spectraview as Win7 knows nothing about hardware calibrated monitors and will not be able to load their calibration data.

walter.sk

« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2010, 12:26:01 pm »

Quote from: LaszloPusztai
If you have a hardware calibrated display then Win7 stays out of the way (as you said, it bypasses the video card LUT). In this case the monitor profile (be it on system or user level) is only used by color managed application for conversions to the display space. We could say it's only metadata. Personally I'm using an EIZO CG241W with 64-bit Win7 without even installing the crappy EIZO ColorNavigator software - using basICColor Display to do the calibration.

I don't know the NECs but my EIZO holds the calibration data without need to reload anything at startup. I guess that the NEC is similar, so the Spectraview is only checking your color management setup, and it could be a Spectraview issue of failing sometimes. In this case (if the colors are also correct in both cases) I would ignore that Spectraview window (and maybe would send a mail to NEC to fix it).

BUT if Spectraview is needed to reload the monitor calibration at every startup, then you definitely have to contact NEC to fix Spectraview as Win7 knows nothing about hardware calibrated monitors and will not be able to load their calibration data.

That explanation helps, as whether I see the Spectraview panel or not there is no change in the display color or brightness, and it appears correct.  I certainly have no issues when working in Photoshop or in printing.
Pages: [1]   Go Up