Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: NR suddenly (?) very aggressive  (Read 2550 times)

Nill Toulme

• http://www.toulmephoto.com
NR suddenly (?) very aggressive
« on: May 03, 2010, 08:11:52 pm »

Suddenly (it seems) the default NR settings that v5.1 (Win) is applying to my 1D Mark IV high ISO (3200 and up) images have become very aggressive — completely wiping out all detail.  I don't know what I've done to make this happen.  It's a huge nuisance.  I've tried clicking the "Reset Defaults" item on the tiny little menu on the Detail tab... but it's already at what the app thinks is the default.  For example, it's applying Color NR at a setting of 55 to an ISO 3200 image, which utterly and completely destroys all detail.

One of the many things I really liked about v5 when I first started using it was the way it did NR at the default settings.  Did I dream that, or have I inadvertently done something to bollix up my "default" NR settings?

Nill

Paul Sumi

« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2010, 01:24:21 am »

Quote from: Nill Toulme
One of the many things I really liked about v5 when I first started using it was the way it did NR at the default settings.  Did I dream that, or have I inadvertently done something to bollix up my "default" NR settings?

Nill

It appears that v5's Color NR varies according to the image.

Looking at some base ISO RAWs for my 1Ds2, it jumps around between 42 and 47, and at ISO 1600 goes up to 48.

In contrast, the Luminance NR is constant at 25.

You can obviously manually tweak to taste, but it seems that the "default" is not a constant.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2010, 01:24:50 am by Paul Sumi »

Nill Toulme

• http://www.toulmephoto.com
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2010, 08:15:09 am »

Thanks Paul.  I thought it was something I had done.  Well, in a sense it was... these shots were in a very dark venue, and some were underexposed.  C1 was setting Color NR to as high as 60, which turns the image into a nice watercolor effect.  ;-)

Nill
Pages: [1]   Go Up