Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Great Photoshop CS5 killed my InDesign CS3  (Read 4848 times)

Raw shooter

Great Photoshop CS5 killed my InDesign CS3
« on: May 03, 2010, 02:25:43 pm »

Great news, upgrading Photoshop CS5 has rendered my much neede InDesign CS3 unusable.  The Photoshop CS5 changes some core type files in the Common Files > Adobe diectories, which totally prevent Indesign from even starting.
Tried everything.  Adobe's suggestion is upgrading Indesign CS3 to the CS5 version - big surprise!
Perhaps Adobe should have spent just a little time on the Windows side of CS5.

natas

« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2010, 05:03:40 pm »

Quote from: Raw shooter
Great news, upgrading Photoshop CS5 has rendered my much neede InDesign CS3 unusable.  The Photoshop CS5 changes some core type files in the Common Files > Adobe diectories, which totally prevent Indesign from even starting.
Tried everything.  Adobe's suggestion is upgrading Indesign CS3 to the CS5 version - big surprise!
Perhaps Adobe should have spent just a little time on the Windows side of CS5.

If this were me I would be on the phone with Adobe asking for a refund of InDesign CS3 because it no longer works. You would be surprised what you can get if you complain enough and get on the phone with higher level techs and sales people. Complain and go up the management latter. If a support person tells you to upgrade tell them that is not acceptable and ask for his supervisor. Do the same thing if the supervisor says this to you.

Fantome

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2010, 04:22:36 pm »

i have tried going up the corporate ladder at adobe - 'tis daunting - frustrating and rage inducing. My revenge is to find a student and get deeply discounted educational pricing. If  you are a parent of a highschool or university student you qualify to purchase.

Raw shooter

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2010, 04:57:21 pm »

This is frustrating.  I love InDesign and really can't live without the elegant features of the software.  I paid the regular and everyday price for all the Adobe software I buy.  Now, as a loyal customer, Adobe couldn't care less that their installer (Photoshop CS5 Upgrade) destroyed my previously perfect and purchased software.  
They really don't care.  I guess I shouldn't be amazed, but I still am surprised that others haven't run into this problem - yet.  I'm hoping they post a patch soon, but it will require a certain number of complaints for then to act properly.

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2010, 08:56:40 pm »

Quote from: Raw shooter
This is frustrating.  I love InDesign and really can't live without the elegant features of the software.  I paid the regular and everyday price for all the Adobe software I buy.  Now, as a loyal customer, Adobe couldn't care less that their installer (Photoshop CS5 Upgrade) destroyed my previously perfect and purchased software.  
They really don't care.  I guess I shouldn't be amazed, but I still am surprised that others haven't run into this problem - yet.  I'm hoping they post a patch soon, but it will require a certain number of complaints for then to act properly.

I would try posting a question on John Nack's blog.

He has been very helpful in the past.

Cheers,
Bernard

gvaughn

• http://www.GregVaughn.com
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2010, 03:43:14 pm »

raw shooter:  have you been able to resolve this issue or get any help from Adobe?  I want to do the PS upgrade but can't take a chance on screwing up my InDesign CS3 work.
- Greg
 w

gvaughn

• http://www.GregVaughn.com
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2010, 05:43:15 pm »

I inquired about this on Adobe's InDesign and Photoshop forums and got a reply that may help resolve the problem. Check the discussion at http://forums.adobe.com/message/2792980#2792980 and scroll down to the message from Peter Spier.
- Greg
 w

Raw shooter

« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2010, 08:47:00 pm »

Gvaughn
Thanks for the link.  I will read that completely.  The OS was Vista, 64 bit, that was corrupted by the Photoshop CS5 upgrade.  
What I did to solve the problem was to use the font libraries off one of my Windows 7 computers.  A simple copy and paste to the Vista 64 computer solved my problem. (Program files\common files)  As some of you know, some of the Epson drivers have problems in Windows 7 - so I have only one computer running Windows Vista and InDesign CS3 for printing books.  That was the problem computer, as I should have listed that in the OP.

Thanks also to Bernard for suggesting John Nack's blog, as I love reading his stuff.  I solved this problem prior to seeing your post.
Either way I am still disappointed in Adobe for their aggressive behavior toward long time and loyal customers.  I have registered all my software for over 14 years with Adobe.  It just seems like they don't keep track or care.  Well I'm finished complaining and off to work.  Thanks to all who have cared to extend a helpfull hand - and good friends here on Luminous Landscape.  All my best.
Pages: [1]   Go Up