Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Non-linear b&w on Photo Rag Baryta  (Read 5993 times)

artobest

Non-linear b&w on Photo Rag Baryta
« Reply #20 on: May 07, 2010, 04:35:37 pm »

Ernst, do you see any improvement on the Z3200ps printing with the PCL3 driver rather than the Postscript one?

Ernst Dinkla

« Reply #21 on: May 08, 2010, 06:32:19 am »

Quote from: artobest
Ernst, do you see any improvement on the Z3200ps printing with the PCL3 driver rather than the Postscript one?

The BW tests I did were made with the PCL3 driver. The curves linked to at that page show what the problems were.
I went back to using the Z3100 and the PCL3 driver for black and white in black and white mode.
The positive answers you got were from Z3100 users if I´m correct.
Keith Cooper who also wrote a review of the Z3200 mentions this issue as well
http://www.northlight-images.co.uk/reviews...hp_z3200ps.html

If I had to solve this issue I would check whether it has something to do with a 1.8 Gamma in the Printer´s CM control where it should be a 2.2 Gamma or something like that. A correction curve in a custom printer filter of Qimage might do it. The clipping of Dmax as reported has to be tackled as well. It could have to do with installing the PS3 driver first and then the PCL3 driver. the first has extra  1.8 Gamma color spaces in driver´s CM choices. The last not.  I reported the issue to HP and expected an answer. It is a long time ago and as written I like the Z3100 output so didn´t check whether it ever improved since.

met vriendelijke groeten, Ernst Dinkla

Try: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Wide_Inkjet_Printers/

CliveFlint

« Reply #22 on: May 13, 2010, 08:49:44 am »

What OS are you using?

If it's a mac try turning off Black Point Compensation and see if that makes a difference.

artobest

« Reply #23 on: May 13, 2010, 08:56:54 am »

It's Windows. But just out of curiosity, why would turning off BPC make a difference with Macs?

CliveFlint

« Reply #24 on: May 13, 2010, 10:31:47 am »

It's Windows. But just out of curiosity, why would turning off BPC make a difference with Macs?

There is an issue on Mac 10.6 that affects what's printed. Doesn't happen to all printers but turning it off can help.

Ernst Dinkla

« Reply #25 on: May 13, 2010, 05:07:36 pm »

Quote from: CliveFlint
What OS are you using?

If it's a mac try turning off Black Point Compensation and see if that makes a difference.

The curves I have on my pages are measured on 21 step (QTR like) greyscale wedges, untagged targets printed in B&W mode of the HP Z3200 PCL3 driver that is set on driver's CM as recommended by HP. Qimage as the application and its CM off. The same route delivers linear output with the Z3100 and doesn't with the Z3200. So there's a difference. Both printers calibrated before the job. has nothing to do with the OS or BPC.

artobest

« Reply #26 on: May 13, 2010, 05:19:24 pm »

So Ernst, is there any point going down the QTR curves route with the Z3200? Is it not possible to make a curve that will fix the problem?

Ernst Dinkla

« Reply #27 on: May 13, 2010, 05:45:15 pm »

So Ernst, is there any point going down the QTR curves route with the Z3200? Is it not possible to make a curve that will fix the problem?

It will fix the linearity but not the Dmax loss that I see between the best Dmax on the calibration patches and the Dmax on the 100% patch of the 21`wedge. Anyway I have explained it quite well on my pages.

I will dig into this once again but right now the paper white spectral plots on my pages have my attention.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up