Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Z3200 prints gray ink instead of gloss enhancer  (Read 6784 times)

jasdown

Z3200 prints gray ink instead of gloss enhancer
« on: April 30, 2010, 02:18:08 pm »

I thought I would run this past the experts at this forum. I encountered a problem today I have never had before with my Z3200. As you may know, the HP Print Utility gives you the option of applying Gloss Enhancer across the whole surface of the page on satin and glossy papers. Today, when I chose this option, it printed gray ink across the page (in the exact boundaries where I expected the Gloss Enhancer to be applied, but only in the areas where it should have been totally white).  Upon closer examination, it applied Gloss Enhancer, too, along with the gray ink.  The unwanted gray disappeared when I turned the Gloss Enhancer "off", or even when I just chose the "Econo" (or spot) Mode.  It only appears when I select "whole page" -- then I get gray ink along with the Gloss Enhancer across the page.

I called HP Tech and they less-than-authoritatively said that it could be a defective printhead.  But they only suggested that after 5 minutes into the discussion when they had just asked me if my Z3200 was a "scanner" (!) instead of a printer. So I am a little dubious of the caliber of technical expertise I received today.

The printhead in question does dispense the Gloss Enhancer and the regular Gray. It was only 5 months old, lightly used and under warranty, so they are sending a replacement.  I appreciate the gesture but wouldn't logic dictate this was a software issue instead of a physical one? I mean, if the gray only appears when "whole page" mode is selected and not in "econo" mode -- wouldn't that be a driver issue?

I was laid off in February and feel very badly about tossing a perfectly good printhead.

Geraldo Garcia

« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2010, 03:49:12 pm »

Quote from: jasdown
(...) wouldn't that be a driver issue?
I was laid off in February and feel very badly about tossing a perfectly good printhead.

You can always download and (re)install the driver and firmware before changing the printhead, that will cost you nothing. Even before that I would try a complete power off and unplug for a few minutes. Sometimes a full restart solves weird issues.

Good luck.

Geraldo Garcia

jasdown

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2010, 05:32:56 pm »

Quote from: Geraldo Garcia
Sometimes a full restart solves weird issues.

Good luck.

Geraldo Garcia

Thanks, Geraldo. Reboots have helped me many times in the past, too.

Also, I learned a new trick today when I was transferred to a 2nd tech person. It might be common knowledge to many here on the forum, but it was new to me, and I wanted to pass it on:

On the Z3200, if you hold down both the "Top Arrow" and "OK" button while also depressing the "power" button on the front panel while powering up (hold all three buttons for at least 20 seconds), you enter a hidden diagnostic menu. Here you can test things like axis scan for the carriage and about 4 other things as well.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2010, 05:34:09 pm by jasdown »

jasdown

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2010, 11:39:18 am »

Re-install of HP Utility and Raster Driver setup didn't solve the problem of Z3200 applying gray ink with the Gloss enhancer. Also, replacement head did not arrive as promised, so I am left attempting to finish a small job from Thursday without the unwanted gray printing when I choose Gloss Enhancer on Whole Page option, and with no success to date.  I am sort of desperate at this point not to alienate this client with another missed deadline. Am also curious to know: has any other Z3200 owner or operator encountered a similar problem (gray ink being applied when selecting Gloss Enhancer for whole page) and, if so, what was the work around?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Colorwave

• Colorwave Imaging
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2010, 03:10:41 pm »

Just a shot in the dark, but have you taken a look at the contacts on the printhead and the corresponding contacts in the print carriage to make sure that there is nothing on them?  I once had ink overspray that got onto my contacts and it caused flaky behavior.  Clean them with distilled water only if you find anything on them.
-Ron H.
[url=http://colorwaveimaging.com

jasdown

« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2010, 05:34:38 pm »

Quote from: Colorwave
Just a shot in the dark, but have you taken a look at the contacts on the printhead and the corresponding contacts in the print carriage to make sure that there is nothing on them?  I once had ink overspray that got onto my contacts and it caused flaky behavior.  Clean them with distilled water only if you find anything on them.

Ron, the contacts appeared fine, but I went ahead and cleaned them anyway. It didn't solve the problem, but I do appreciate your insight and willingness to help me out of this bind.

Colorwave

• Colorwave Imaging
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2010, 05:41:45 pm »

Damn.  All I have left is a voodoo doll and a secret juju ceremony I was shown with some chicken bones.  I'll do what I can on this end, but no promises.  Best of luck.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2010, 05:42:52 pm by Colorwave »
-Ron H.
[url=http://colorwaveimaging.com

taxione

« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2010, 10:45:43 am »

Re-install of HP Utility and Raster Driver setup didn't solve the problem of Z3200 applying gray ink with the Gloss enhancer. Also, replacement head did not arrive as promised, so I am left attempting to finish a small job from Thursday without the unwanted gray printing when I choose Gloss Enhancer on Whole Page option, and with no success to date.  I am sort of desperate at this point not to alienate this client with another missed deadline. Am also curious to know: has any other Z3200 owner or operator encountered a similar problem (gray ink being applied when selecting Gloss Enhancer for whole page) and, if so, what was the work around?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

OMG!  This is EXACTLY the problem I'm having!  I thought it was just me.  I've been getting this gray color plus banding.  Tech support has asked me to clean heads, calibrate heads, etc..., but, nothing works.  I'd like to stay in touch on this.  Please e-mail me at ahirsch@mourerfoster.com to let me know how you fix yours.  I'd REALLY appreciate it.  I'm VERY frustrated.  Thank you.

Adam

cyberworldsinc

• http://www.jackjohnsonphoto.com
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2010, 11:24:14 am »

I recently started having this very problem on my Z3100. I've also cleaned & reseated the printhead and reinstalled the current firmware, but no joy. I'm confident it's not a (computer) software problem, as I see the same thing on the test prints generated from the printer control panel...

If I find a solution I'll post it here, and in the meantime I'll be checking frequently to see if anybody else finds a fix first! :^D

- Jack
Jack Johnson
[url=http://www.jackjohnson

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2010, 02:50:20 pm »

Totally wild shot in the dark here (that voodoo/chicken bone thing), but this is vaguely similar to issues using Version 4 profiles within some software instead of version 2.  As I said, complete shot in the dark ...

jasdown

« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2010, 04:27:04 pm »

Quote from: taxione
OMG!  This is EXACTLY the problem I'm having!  I thought it was just me.  I've been getting this gray color plus banding.  Tech support has asked me to clean heads, calibrate heads, etc..., but, nothing works.  I'd like to stay in touch on this.  Please e-mail me at ahirsch@mourerfoster.com to let me know how you fix yours.  I'd REALLY appreciate it.  I'm VERY frustrated.  Thank you.

Adam

Hi Adam. I just sent you an email, per your request. I'm sorry I was tardy in replying, but I have had to recently abandon printing as my primary focus and am now enrolled in a vocational training class that occupies traditional business hours.

As I stated in my email, I am holding onto the glimmer of hope that it is a printhead gone suddenly wrong (tech support told me they can mysteriously go bad). However, the promised "next day" replacement has yet to arrive to test that theory. I just hope it's not like last February when I waited two months (until after Easter), for a promised replacement formatter to arrive! That two months of downtime was pretty much the death knell of my self-employment aspirations...

Like you, I have realligned printheads. I have also swapped out Gloss Enhancer and Gray ink carts, but to no avail.

jasdown

« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2010, 08:11:44 pm »

Quote from: cyberworldsinc
If I find a solution I'll post it here, and in the meantime I'll be checking frequently to see if anybody else finds a fix first! :^D

- Jack

To Adam and Jack who have expressed similar concerns with their Z3200 printing gray ink when a coating of gloss enhancer was what was really desired, I just want to go on record as saying that a new gray/gloss enhancer printhead solved all of my problems today. Even though the former printhead was only 5 months old and lightly used, apparently they can fail very abruptly and early in their life cycle.

cyberworldsinc

« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2010, 10:00:25 pm »

To Adam and Jack who have expressed similar concerns with their Z3200 printing gray ink when a coating of gloss enhancer was what was really desired, I just want to go on record as saying that a new gray/gloss enhancer printhead solved all of my problems today. Even though the former printhead was only 5 months old and lightly used, apparently they can fail very abruptly and early in their life cycle.

That's good news - thanks for passing it along! I'd already ordered a new printhead since that seemed the likeliest culprit, but it hasn't arrived as yet...

- Jack
Jack Johnson

cyberworldsinc

« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2010, 12:31:44 pm »

Another success story here - I replaced the EG printhead on my Z3100 this morning, and it took care of the problem.

Looks like that's a pretty good bet for you, too, Adam!

- Jack
Jack Johnson

taxione

« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2010, 10:38:53 am »

Quote from: cyberworldsinc
Another success story here - I replaced the EG printhead on my Z3100 this morning, and it took care of the problem.

Looks like that's a pretty good bet for you, too, Adam!

- Jack

Thanks.  What is the most efficient way to get a replacement head?  My Z3200 is under warranty; do I just call CS, and tell them that I need a new head, or do I have them walk me through 20,000 possible "fixes" before they agree with the fact that only a new head will fix the problem?  Thank you.

Adam

jasdown

« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2010, 04:59:14 pm »

Quote from: taxione
Thanks.  What is the most efficient way to get a replacement head?  My Z3200 is under warranty; do I just call CS, and tell them that I need a new head, or do I have them walk me through 20,000 possible "fixes" before they agree with the fact that only a new head will fix the problem?  Thank you.

Adam

Actually, the GE/Gray printhead replacement is pretty much at the top of their workaround scenario. The first step, however, is pulling the current GE/Gray printhead and reading the imprinted date aloud to the tech support person; they won't necessarily accept the reading of the "in warranty" header for same that appears in the embedded web server. Then, the problem becomes one of HP actually shipping the printhead; although promised overnight, mine didn't arrive for 5 days.

taxione

« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2010, 10:58:31 am »

Actually, the GE/Gray printhead replacement is pretty much at the top of their workaround scenario. The first step, however, is pulling the current GE/Gray printhead and reading the imprinted date aloud to the tech support person; they won't necessarily accept the reading of the "in warranty" header for same that appears in the embedded web server. Then, the problem becomes one of HP actually shipping the printhead; although promised overnight, mine didn't arrive for 5 days.

Thanks.  I appreciate your help.
Pages: [1]   Go Up