Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: SNS-HDR batch mode?  (Read 17498 times)

bill t.

• http://www.unit16.net
SNS-HDR batch mode?
« on: April 29, 2010, 07:36:12 pm »

Just spent the afternoon running some old HDR stacks in SNS-HDR that I originally developed in Photomatix.  Wow.  SNS-HDR is simply beyond awesome in what it can do with an HDR stack.  I mean, jaw dropping.  In particular the control over highlights is miles beyond any other HDR or fusion program I have seen and the IQ is fabulous.

But alas, it seems to lack a specific batch mode.

For my panos I often run 4 or more focus-stacks, each of which consists of 6 or so pre-HDR'd images.  So that's at least a few dozen HDR stacks per pano.  In the current manual mode SNS-HDR is just too slow and way too tedious for that deep a pipeline.  Photomatix's batch modes do a great job on such repetitive stuff, but now I'm too spoiled with SNS to want to carry on with that.

So my question is...Has anybody figured out how to automate SNS-HDR to some degree?  Does it have a command line mode that could be invoked via a batch file or script or something?  Can seem to find anything on that.  

(Also, heard some idle NAB chatter that the CS5 HDR-Pro feature is based on the SNS-HDR engine.  Any confirmation on that?)

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
SNS-HDR batch mode?
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2010, 08:02:57 pm »

I don't know the answer to this question, but is true that the program is limited to producing an 8 bit JPEG file?
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

Bart_van_der_Wolf

SNS-HDR batch mode?
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2010, 09:27:23 pm »

Quote from: Mark D Segal
I don't know the answer to this question, but is true that the program is limited to producing an 8 bit JPEG file?

Hi Mark,

No, the registered Pro version can output 16-bit/channel tonemapped TIFF files at native (or smaller) size. However, there are (this early in its development stage) some issues that need to be ironed out (talking about version 1.07 Pro)...

To the OP, there is no batch mode implemented (yet?).

Cheers,
Bart
« Last Edit: April 29, 2010, 09:29:13 pm by BartvanderWolf »
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
SNS-HDR batch mode?
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2010, 09:40:33 pm »

Thanks Bart - looks like an interesting app to follow.

Mark
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
SNS-HDR batch mode?
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2010, 07:25:40 am »

A question to Bill, Bart, or Mark
How do you get the main page to translate?  I am linking to sns-hdr.com and have tried the translate
button that appears, but it stays in the native language.  Also, where do you go to get the pro version?

Thanks
Paul Caldwell
Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
SNS-HDR batch mode?
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2010, 07:33:29 am »

Quote from: Paul2660
How do you get the main page to translate?  I am linking to sns-hdr.com and have tried the translate
button that appears, but it stays in the native language.  Also, where do you go to get the pro version?
Here is a screen print of where I have gotten.  If you pay for the pro version, do you get a english version?

[attachment=21754:sns_hdr_...en_print.png]

Thanks
Paul Caldwell
Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

francois

SNS-HDR batch mode?
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2010, 07:38:28 am »

Thanks
Paul Caldwell
Unless you have a Polish friend around use Google translation tools… Here's the result:

http://translate.google.com/translate?u=ht...l=&ie=UTF-8
Francois

bill t.

SNS-HDR batch mode?
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2010, 08:37:04 pm »

OK, the numbers are in.  SNS-HDR, 8.9.  Photomatix, 7.8.  CS5 HDR-PRO, Certificate of Participation.

Looks like the latest SNS download has some batch stuff.  Off I go.

Bart_van_der_Wolf

SNS-HDR batch mode?
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2010, 08:39:31 am »

button that appears, but it stays in the native language.

Hi Paul,

The Google translate button works for me, but as mentioned you can also plug the website's URL into the Google translate website or similar translators.

Also, where do you go to get the pro version?

You can click on the large thumbnail at the right (Probierz SNS-HDR Pro) for the trial version (limited output choices/size), or purchase the full featured one.

As of yesterday the Batch capability was added. It's a bit limiting in the sense that your directory must contain bracketed series of exactly the same number of brackets, and nothing else. For the rest is seems useful after some preparation work in making working directories for a specific job or per set of brackets.

Cheers,
Bart
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

bill t.

SNS-HDR batch mode?
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2010, 06:11:52 pm »

As of SNS HDR-Pro 1.10 there is a batch mode.  You load up a directory with the hdr sets (only), tell it how deep the stacks are, then let it go.  All the stacks must be the same depth.  Unfortunately there are a few issues...it doesn't seem to handle 16 bits tif as an output target, and it takes about 7 minutes to process a 3 deep stack of 21mp tifs.  And it doesn't link to Lightroom, but that's just me being a big baby.

But the biggest drawback is that it doesn't (yet) apply the current control panel settings to the stacks it is processing.  Rather it applies it's own internal heuristic processing which BTW yields essentially perfectly processed images by default, but perhaps not exactly what you want.  

It should be noted that the developing control paradigm on SDS-HDR is one of the best I have ever used for processing photographic images, even ignoring that it is also developing an HDR stack.  After playing with the dismal, plodding, ass-backward CS5 HDR-Pro controls I am all the more impressed.  Software design by committee, that's the only excuse Adobe can make.  Somebody on the committee was very good at eliminating ghosts, but nobody knew what HDR was actually supposed to do, their entire concept of HDR must have come from viewing Flickr fantasmagorias.  Please, for CS6 can we have less content-awareness, and more HDR.  Thanks.

Guillermo Luijk

• http://www.guillermoluijk.com
SNS-HDR batch mode?
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2010, 06:30:26 pm »

Quote from: bill t.
Somebody on the committee was very good at eliminating ghosts, but nobody knew what HDR was actually supposed to do, their entire concept of HDR must have come from viewing Flickr fantasmagorias.

I agree with you. But in some way Adobe could be (unfortunately in this case) just providing what most users demand.

bill t.

SNS-HDR batch mode?
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2010, 07:56:32 pm »

Just a correction to my previous post.

SNS-HDR Pro DOES apply the control panel settings on batch operations, I said otherwise before.  Life is wonderful.

Also, for those trying SNS-HDR for the first time there are some color management settings to change...

-Click the little monitor screen icon at lower right and select you current monitor profile, which SNS will use to display your image correctly.

-Note that your images will be output in sRGB by default unless you click the "Profile" dropdown at screen lower right and select AdobeRGB, ProPhoto or WideGamut.  This does not seem to be a sticky setting at present so keep an eye on it, it always reverts to sRGB at start up.

Really liking this program.  There is a kind of purity to programs written by individuals or very small groups that really understand what what the program is trying to do, and are even somewhat passionate about it, and who have a sort of vision.  This is one of the best examples of that I have seen recently, it just shines through.
Pages: [1]   Go Up