Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Horseman SW-D II  (Read 3213 times)

MikeHeywood

Horseman SW-D II
« on: April 29, 2010, 02:28:28 pm »

Hi all,

I am wondering if anybody is using the Horseman SW-D II camera and what their experiences have been.

It seems like a good value and I like the idea of it's range of rear rise/fall/shift.

Thoughts?

Doug Peterson

• http://www.doug-peterson.com
Horseman SW-D II
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2010, 02:50:15 pm »

Quote from: MikeHeywood
I am wondering if anybody is using the Horseman SW-D II camera and what their experiences have been.

It seems like a good value and I like the idea of it's range of rear rise/fall/shift.

We (Capture Integration) had and sold a few Horseman SW-D systems about 18 months ago. They were well built, easy to use, and generally good quality. We have since started to favor Cambo's solutions much more as we've found Cambo is far more responsive* when it comes to technical questions, technical problems, product development suggestions, repairs, replacement parts, and proactive communication about upcoming products or technical issues. Also we feel Cambo took the lead on product development right around then - at that point Cambo's RS system had not yet been introduced and the Horseman SW-D was much more competitive to the older Cambo Wide DS than it is to the new Cambo Wide RS. The RS has been a huge hit with our customers. Cambo's new line of tilt-swing lens panels are also a big favorite with our customers right now.

That said the SW-D was a good product. The one big difference of not is that the SW-D does not have geared movements - you unlock a direction of motion, shift and then relock. Like anything this has advantages and disadvantages; you don't have the same level of precision and you'll likely need to use two hands for vertical movements, but on the other hand it does allow you to make large movements quickly (compared to turning the gear of a CWRS several times to accomplish the same movement). Most photographers

As always my general advice is the same though: find the right product for you and then look for a deal rather than finding a deal and seeing if its the right product for you. Along with Cambo, Sinar, Arca-Swiss, Alpa, Silvestri, and others make "tech cameras" that you should consider. We (and other dealers on this board) sell several of these and in-person experience is really the best way to examine them.

If you need a Flex Adapter plate (the plate to attach your back to the Horseman) give our atlanta office a call as I believe we have a few for sale at used prices.

*This is from our experience in the US. Those in Europe or Asia would have different channels of communication with them and I have no idea if those channels are better (or worse). In the US I found it nearly impossible to get basic service questions answered whereas with Cambo I'm on a first-name and beer-buying basis with the head of technical services and have found them extremely responsive. From a dealer point of view Hoseman made it harder to uphold our promise of top notch service and support and Cambo made it easier.

Doug Peterson
Newsletter: Read Latest or Sign Up
RSS Feed: Subscribe
Buy Capture One at 10% off
Personal Work
« Last Edit: April 29, 2010, 02:55:28 pm by dougpetersonci »

Steve Hendrix

• http://www.captureintegration.com/
Horseman SW-D II
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2010, 03:03:58 pm »

Quote from: MikeHeywood
Hi all,

Thoughts?

If you have found a steal of a deal, then ok.

We sell both products but haven't sold an SWDII for quite some time. We have sold many Cambo RS solutions and our customers are very happy with them.

If you're buying new, the Cambo RS 1000 is a little pricier, but a much better solution. Even a Wide DS would be a better solution if you're on a budget, would cost less new than a SWDII.

Considerations compared to a Cambo RS or DS solution:

Mounting the lenses for the SWDII is a pain as you have to screw them in. Cambo just mounts with latches.

Movements are not gear driven (Cambo DS/RS are gear driven).

Locking knobs (Cambo uses friction instad of locking knobs).

Smaller range of movements than Cambo DS/RS.

Cambo has a wider selection of lens focal lengths, including tilt/swing options.

Cambo has far superior customer service (at least in our experience as a US dealer).

Like I said, if you have found a used steal of a deal, it still has nice features for movement-based photographer with quality lenses and a compact package. But there are better options for a little more or even a little less.

Steve Hendrix
Steve Hendrix • 404-543-8475 www.captureintegration.com (e-mail Me)
Phase One | Leaf | Leica | Alpa | Cambo | Sinar | Arca Swiss

Steve_Townsend

• Commercial Property Photography
Horseman SW-D II
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2010, 04:49:16 pm »

Hi

I bought the Horsemann SWD11 a few years ago and regretted it greatly. Thankfully my dealer took it back and I swapped for a Cambo WDS.

The Horsemann really is a pain, to change lenses especially when compared to the Cambo. Geared movements make the whole experience more pleasurable as well.

The SWD is just unnecessarily fiddly.
Pages: [1]   Go Up