Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Printing Slow in Win7  (Read 1602 times)

BobFisher

Printing Slow in Win7
« on: April 29, 2010, 08:34:21 am »

Recently moved to Win7 Pro from WinXP Pro (64 bit from 32 bit).  My printer is set up on my network, connected through a router via an ethernet cable.  Same setup as under XP.  Printing speed since the transition is brutally slow.  Using an Epson 3800, it's now taking upwards of 45 minutes or more to print a single 16x20.  It'll print a line or two, pause, print a line or two, pause and so on.  In XP, it would just print as expected, no pausing, taking a fraction of the time it does now.  I haven't called Epson yet but will if I can't get it sorted.  Is there something I'm missing in the Win7 or 64 bit environment that's different from the XP or 32 bit environment?

Thanks.

Alan Goldhammer

• A Goldhammer Photography
Printing Slow in Win7
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2010, 08:45:02 am »

Quote from: BobFisher
Recently moved to Win7 Pro from WinXP Pro (64 bit from 32 bit).  My printer is set up on my network, connected through a router via an ethernet cable.  Same setup as under XP.  Printing speed since the transition is brutally slow.  Using an Epson 3800, it's now taking upwards of 45 minutes or more to print a single 16x20.  It'll print a line or two, pause, print a line or two, pause and so on.  In XP, it would just print as expected, no pausing, taking a fraction of the time it does now.  I haven't called Epson yet but will if I can't get it sorted.  Is there something I'm missing in the Win7 or 64 bit environment that's different from the XP or 32 bit environment?

Thanks.
I don't think this is a pure Win 7 issue.  I've been printing on Win 7 for 9 months and have never encountered that problem (albeit though the USB port).  Check to make sure your printer drivers are current and that your router is functioning OK.  First thing I would do is reset your router to see if that's the problem.

Alan

jwwbrennan

• featherstudio.com
Printing Slow in Win7
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2010, 09:01:39 am »

Do you have a static DHCP address for the printer? Did you use EpsonNet Config?
Jim Brennan

BobFisher

Printing Slow in Win7
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2010, 10:32:09 am »

The IP address is static.  The DHCP is controlled automatically through the router.  

Didn't use EpsonNet.  Used the instructions in the manual to set the printer up on the network.  The printer does show up when I open EpsonNet; however.  

Latest Win7 64 driver is installed.  Router is functioning fine.

francois

Printing Slow in Win7
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2010, 10:43:47 am »

Quote from: BobFisher
The IP address is static.  The DHCP is controlled automatically through the router.  

Didn't use EpsonNet.  Used the instructions in the manual to set the printer up on the network.  The printer does show up when I open EpsonNet; however.  

Latest Win7 64 driver is installed.  Router is functioning fine.
Your issue seems to be very similar to the one discussed here: http://luminous-landscape.com/forum/index....+printing++3800

Not sure it it'll help, though.
Francois

jwwbrennan

• featherstudio.com
Printing Slow in Win7
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2010, 12:55:15 pm »

Have you tried it without the virus checker running?

Or run a test using the USB port just to confirm the nature of the problem?
Jim Brennan

greyscale

Printing Slow in Win7
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2010, 01:03:35 pm »

FWIW, I had a problem when installing my 3880 in Vista Ultimate 64. What I did was similar to your install. I followed the instructions on network install and had some strange problems with the 3880. What I found after trail and error over many install/uninstalls, Setup the TCP/IP port until it asks for the address. Do not enter the address in ths setup instructions. With the port setup window open, run Epsonnet,
use the address listed in the Epsonnet window. Ive done this several times and have no more issues with the 3880. After you setup the port with the new address you can go back and delete the first port.
Good Luck
greyscale

BobFisher

Printing Slow in Win7
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2010, 01:04:54 pm »

Given that he's on a Mac and I'm on Windoze, not sure if the problems would be the same.

Appears I've got mine sorted.  Looks like it was a problem with the port configuration.  Maybe something got corrupted when I set up the port but I set up a new IP address and port and it seems to be back to normal, printing as it should.  

Appreciate the feedback and insights.

EDIT:  I did do a test printing via USB and it printed fine.  That's what led me to the port problem.

greyscale, yes, you should have the port address be the same as the IP address of the printer.  Mine was but something else was amiss with the port.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2010, 01:07:12 pm by BobFisher »
Pages: [1]   Go Up