Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Photo travel workshop  (Read 5754 times)

terry

Photo travel workshop
« on: December 11, 2002, 07:43:13 pm »

[font color=\'#000000\']??? hummm, I wonder whatever happened to good old david???? maybe he's lost somewhere in the everglades,..I've spent a lot of time there, and it's no place to fool around. ??? ....[/font]

neil

Photo travel workshop
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2002, 09:27:53 am »

[font color=\'#000000\']Is this of interest to anyone else?  It seems that this forum could become a staging area for anyone desiring to travel in a group to lower costs or increase experience levels.  If so, maybe we can start a topic area for meeting with other shooters to plan trips together.[/font]

Danny Burk

Photo travel workshop
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2002, 10:53:37 am »

[font color=\'#000000\']Guys, it's been done! Are you familiar with Nature Photographers Network? (www.naturephotographers.net) We're a very active worldwide group (most members in the US and Canada, however) with various discussion and photo critique forums, as well as a monthly online magazine.

In October 2001, I organized the first Regional chapter of the NPN, called Midwest Nature Photographers. Our area includes Illinois, Indiana, Michigan, Ohio, and Wisconsin. We hold informal gatherings on an irregular basis in various locations through the 5-state area. We try to vary the locations to suit everyone, i.e. giving emphasis to landscape, birds, etc. The main purpose of the meetings is for sake of photography, but of course we also enjoy meeting other NPN participants. The next scheduled meetings include a trip to Crane Creek (east of Toledo, Ohio) for migrant birds, the second weekend of May; also Michigan's Upper Peninsula for fall color, the entire second week of October; there will probably be at least one more summer meeting, and who knows what else? All types of formats and equipment are of course welcome. We generally have at least one "local expert" who lives near the meeting area, who is able to give tips on favorite locations, nature events, and even good restaurants in the area.

After organizing the Midwest group, others sprang up, including those for the East Coast, Long Island, Florida, and California areas. Many of these groups have their own webpage within NPN, and I'd like to invite you to check them out. If you'd like to be added to my Midwest mailing list for informational email, please contact me at and I'll be glad to see that you receive future mailings; details for contacting the other regional groups are found at NPN.

Anyone is welcome to attend. There is no charge or cost of any kind other than your own transportation, lodging, etc.

I hope to hear from you!

Regards,
Danny Burk
www.dannyburk.com[/font]

abiggs

• http://www.andybiggs.com
Photo travel workshop
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2003, 04:12:06 pm »

That definitely sounds like a great trip. The everglades is a wonderful place to photograph. In all due respect, and African safari is not an inexpensive venture to begin with, whether or not it is a LL workshop or not. Once you take into account our customized itinerary (yet to be 100% hammered down), the level of accommodations and the outfitter who is performing the vehicles and guides, it isn't an outrageous endeavour.

Have fun!!!

-Andy
Andy Biggs
[url=http://www.andybiggs.com

David Fourer

Photo travel workshop
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2002, 09:25:39 am »

[font color=\'#000000\']I just read about the LL Costa Rica workshop, and Andy Biggs trip to Africa.  Very interesting, but I'm thinking about organizing a trip of my own for those without lots of money.  I'm off to Florida for canoeing in the Everglades tomorrow by plane.  It will be an adventure as I will travel for many days by canoe and camp out.  Also stay a the Intl. Hostel for a few days and explore the area.  $200 to rent a conoe.  Half that if two people share it.  I spent about $200 on extra camping gear I didn't already have.  Plane fare $131.50.  Realistically I expect to spend at least $600 for 16 days.  

My camera is a Canon Eos Elan II bought in 1995.  I have Canon 28-80 and 80-200 f/3.5-5.6 which are available used for under $100 each.  These are not as sharp as I would like but I get decent 10x15 prints and quite sharp 8x12 prints.  Better lenses is top top priority for me right now.

My travel philosophy is:  Lots of time for photography, Make it an adventure, definitely camp out a lot.  Each person is ultimately responsible for their own welfare but help each other out.  If someone needs help in one area but they are enthusiastic and lend a hand in other areas they won't have a problem.

I'll be back Dec. 7th and see what discussion has followed.

------Chicago IL[/font]

David Mantripp

• :: snowhenge dot net ::
Photo travel workshop
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2002, 12:44:52 pm »

[font color=\'#000000\']Yes, canoeing in the Everglades by plane did strike me as somewhat foolhardy...[/font]
--
David Mantripp

terry

Photo travel workshop
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2002, 09:36:34 pm »

[font color=\'#000000\']way cool idea, :cool: I love photography and road trips, and I'm always looking to try and find a new way to get to the best locations , at the best time's, and how to stretch my "bucks" the farthest. As we all know, photography in it self, can be, and is expensive when trying to do quailty landscape work.So I would think that a small spot in LL forum, where other like minded individuals can share thoughts,or talents,and possibly "hook up" with each other, would be  :cool: ..TERRY..P.S. anybody hear from David? ???[/font]
Pages: [1]   Go Up