Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: book recommendation  (Read 4818 times)

hacimd

book recommendation
« on: April 27, 2010, 12:15:56 pm »

Hello,
Would you be able to recommend some good books that explain an overview of digital cameras and Photoshop/Bridge(CS4 is what I am currently using) for beginners.  If both(I know these are both quite broad) topics were covered in 1 book that would be fantastic

I would also appreciate any site recommendations that have interesting articles on digital photography- including technical, aesthetic and creative uses of the medium.

thanks so much

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
book recommendation
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2010, 02:14:43 pm »

Well, the 'net has thousands of pages on this.  I'd recommend you start with the main site for this forum.  That will provide enough reading material for the next century or so.

Mike.
If your mind is attuned t

JamiePeters

book recommendation
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2010, 11:31:59 am »

Use Capture One, you can get learning tools by just typing this into the net and they have a Capture One university for advanced learning as it keeps being progressed and upgraded.  Capture One is much better than the others.  Use capture for the big moves and fine tune in Photoshop.  I believe Michael Reichmann, Tim Wolcott, and others do this.  JP

Remember if its in print its usually out of date since the speed at which software gets updated and fixed.  Not to say you have to always be at the latest greatest, but get something that really works and does what you want it to do.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2010, 11:44:12 am by JamiePeters »

Sigi

• http://www.betterphoto.com/Premium/default.aspx?id=267034&mp=V2
book recommendation
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2010, 02:16:23 pm »

Quote from: hacimd
Hello,
Would you be able to recommend some good books that explain an overview of digital cameras and Photoshop/Bridge(CS4 is what I am currently using) for beginners.  If both(I know these are both quite broad) topics were covered in 1 book that would be fantastic

I would also appreciate any site recommendations that have interesting articles on digital photography- including technical, aesthetic and creative uses of the medium.

thanks so much

Hi,
I have done some courses on Betterphoto.com and with Bryan Peterson. I can recommend both sites and they cover your topics

Siegfried

JoshAustin

book recommendation
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2010, 06:15:50 pm »

Hi, I just used the Adobe Photoshop Classroom in a Book that accompanies Photoshop CS4 when I first got it. It's not exactly a riveting read but I quite enjoyed it in the end because I just wanted to learn about the software. It's arranged in step-by-step lessons. Here's a review: CS4 Classroom in a book suggestion

As far as a general introduction to using digital cameras goes, you may have been recommended this before but Scott Kelby's The Digital Photography Book, Volume 1 is fantastic. 1 tip per page, easy to read and full of info. This is a review: Kelby's Digital Photography Book, Volume 1 suggestion

Here are some links to composition tips on Photography Art Cafe:

Golden Mean and Rule of Thirds
Balance and Weight

Hope that helps, good luck  

andynick

• http://www.bramptonvalleyphotography.co.uk/
book recommendation
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2010, 09:34:09 am »

Hi, try Martin Evening's books Adobe Photoshop CS4 for Photographers, Amazon will be able to sort you out.  I've bought several of his books over the years and found each one to be a absolute gem.  Some topics might be a little advanced but you'll be suprised just how quick you learn...

Andy
Brampton Valley Photography, Commercial Photographers Northampton.

mattymatt

• http://
book recommendation
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2010, 01:05:24 am »

Quote from: andynick
Hi, try Martin Evening's books Adobe Photoshop CS4 for Photographers, Amazon will be able to sort you out.  I've bought several of his books over the years and found each one to be a absolute gem.  Some topics might be a little advanced but you'll be suprised just how quick you learn...

Andy

I would second this suggestion.  It will be too much information to process all at once, but is a valuable reference to have lying around.
Matthew J McCalla

KirbyKrieger

• Kirby Krieger Pictures
book recommendation
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2010, 10:13:00 am »

Quote from: mattymatt
I would second this suggestion.  It will be too much information to process all at once, but is a valuable reference to have lying around.

Third.

I got very little but frustration from the Kelby book I tried.  He seems to be much more a pied piper than a teacher.
Pages: [1]   Go Up