Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Quality of canned profiles for Epson 3880  (Read 3084 times)

MirekElsner

• Mirek's web site
Quality of canned profiles for Epson 3880
« on: April 27, 2010, 02:13:01 am »

I am new to Epson inkjets and I would like to know what quality I should expect from canned profiles vs. custom made profiles by usual profilemakers vs. attempting to make my own with ColorMunki. The canned profiles I am interested in are Epson , Ilford  and Hahnemuhle and printer in question is Epson 3880.

Thanks!

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2010, 08:35:39 am »

Epson's canned profiles are only for Epson papers. For the 3800, which I use, their profiles are fine. I expect they would have made at least as good profiles for the 3880, but have no first-hand experience with them. The experience I've had with Ilford's own profiles for its Gold Fibre Silk paper, (which I use all the time and love it), is that their profiles for the Epson 3800 are not good, and I've made my own using my XRite Pulse Elite far better. I have not used Hahn papers so can't comment.
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

Alan Goldhammer

• A Goldhammer Photography
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2010, 09:15:14 am »

Quote from: MirekElsner
I am new to Epson inkjets and I would like to know what quality I should expect from canned profiles vs. custom made profiles by usual profilemakers vs. attempting to make my own with ColorMunki. The canned profiles I am interested in are Epson , Ilford  and Hahnemuhle and printer in question is Epson 3880.

Thanks!
The best way to evaluate profiles is through the use of a standard print such as the one Bill Atkinson has prepared.  that way you can judge for yourself whether the printer is behaving to your expectations.  As Mark notes in his response the Epson profiles are very good which has been my experience as well.  For Ilford and Hahnemuhle papers I have tested profiles for some of the papers and they are good.  However, for my own printing I want a little more control over the colors than those profiles provided.  I have the ColorMunki which produces good profiles and uses actual images to refine them after you have gone through the two step process of creating the first profile.  I found that the magenta and yellows were better in prints after completing this process.  ColorMunki is a cost effective way of generating very good profiles.

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
Re: Quality of canned profiles for Epson 3880
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2010, 10:57:09 am »

I hope that you find this helpful.

No, not at all when as if today, you’ve made 7 IDENTICAL posts saying the same thing. Its suspicious as well as uncalled for!
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

Electromen

Re: Quality of canned profiles for Epson 3880
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2010, 09:53:41 pm »

I also use the ColorMunki with the 3800.  I find it much more accurate than the the Epson and Ilford proifles.
Pages: [1]   Go Up