Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hyper Sharp in the High Desert  (Read 4203 times)

bill t.

• http://www.unit16.net
Hyper Sharp in the High Desert
« on: April 25, 2010, 04:12:05 am »

Decided to bring deep focus panoramas into the ready kit.  To which end I've been running a lot of dress rehearsals so as not to risk fumbling away great shots to mere confusion.  An unexpectedly nice evening developed today, and here's my first successful dress rehearsal shot.

4 stitched panels, each with 5 to 7 blended focus planes.   About 60 megapixels for the whole pano.  Shot with an ancient 55mm Micro Nikkor, the sharpest lens on the planet.  I just made a 32 x 48 print and it's positively hyper-real.  Every needle on those cacti looks deadly.  Every blade of grass, every texture on every dried plant, every tree on the distant mountain, every rock texture, all delineated to the max.  Not an out-of-focus pixel anywhere.  Bokeh be damned!  And a lot of thanks to Lightroom 3.2's amazing processing engine, and to Helicon Focus Pro.

The print is a wonder to behold in the flesh, the attachment just doesn't tell the story.  I'm anxious to see how this look will sell.  It's a lot of extra work, but it may be worth it on the bottom line.

[attachment=21671:Tondreau...Trail_02.jpg]

Theresa

« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2010, 05:27:13 am »

Quote from: bill t.
Decided to bring deep focus panoramas into the ready kit.  To which end I've been running a lot of dress rehearsals so as not to risk fumbling away great shots to mere confusion.  An unexpectedly nice evening developed today, and here's my first successful dress rehearsal shot.

4 stitched panels, each with 5 to 7 blended focus planes.   About 60 megapixels for the whole pano.  Shot with an ancient 55mm Micro Nikkor, the sharpest lens on the planet.  I just made a 32 x 48 print and it's positively hyper-real.  Every needle on those cacti looks deadly.  Every blade of grass, every texture on every dried plant, every tree on the distant mountain, every rock texture, all delineated to the max.  Not an out-of-focus pixel anywhere.  Bokeh be damned!  And a lot of thanks to Lightroom 3.2's amazing processing engine, and to Helicon Focus Pro.

The print is a wonder to behold in the flesh, the attachment just doesn't tell the story.  I'm anxious to see how this look will sell.  It's a lot of extra work, but it may be worth it on the bottom line.

I had a micro nikkor back in the early '70s and it was one of the sharpest lenses I ever had.  I sold it to get a view camera but wish I kept it.  Great panorama, I envy your patience.

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2010, 09:55:30 am »

Bill,

That's a lovely shot. 

Would you be willing to post a couple of tiny blowups, maybe a little piece in the foreground and another in the background just to illustrate the possibilities? 

I'd love to see the print, but I doubt I'll get to New Mexico for quite a while.

Eric

-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

Rocco Penny

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2010, 11:01:22 am »

I'm a fan of your work Bill T.

I like your landscape photography and emulate your big sky panoramas when I can.
Nice detail.

nigelrudyard

• http://www.flickr.com/mostonianexile
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2010, 12:00:13 pm »

It's a fantastic shot, Bill. The composition itself is quite brilliant, and the warmth of the light really offsets the blue sky nicely. Nice balance, fantastic result.
"Landscape photography is the supreme test of the photographer - and often the supreme disappointment."
~ Ansel Adams

JeffKohn

• http://jeffk-photo.typepad.com
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2010, 12:37:07 pm »

It's a nice shot.

I'd be interested how focus-blending works for you going forward, as you use it in more situations. Based on my testing I think the technology still has some serious limitations. First there's the problem of movement in the frame (wind, etc). Another big problem is artifacts from the blending process.

Your scene here has a receding plane of focus (the same type of layout that is well suited to lens-tilt). From what I've seen, focus blending starts to fall apart when you have overlapping planes that you want to keep sharp (tree or other object in the foreground sticking up so that it overlaps with the distant background).

Does your 55micro have any focus-breathing, or does the FOV remain constant as you change focus? That's another thing the blending software doesn't handle very well in my experience.

I'm guessing Photoshop will eventually solve most of these limitations, probably around CS10 or so.
Jeff Kohn
[url=http://ww

bill t.

« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2010, 03:05:50 pm »

Quote from: JeffKohn
It's a nice shot.

I'd be interested how focus-blending works for you going forward, as you use it in more situations. Based on my testing I think the technology still has some serious limitations. First there's the problem of movement in the frame (wind, etc). Another big problem is artifacts from the blending process.

Your scene here has a receding plane of focus (the same type of layout that is well suited to lens-tilt). From what I've seen, focus blending starts to fall apart when you have overlapping planes that you want to keep sharp (tree or other object in the foreground sticking up so that it overlaps with the distant background).

Does your 55micro have any focus-breathing, or does the FOV remain constant as you change focus? That's another thing the blending software doesn't handle very well in my experience.

I'm guessing Photoshop will eventually solve most of these limitations, probably around CS10 or so.

FWIW I've attached some crops from the lower left of the original, 50% pixel reduction, 60% quality.  It shows the three focus planes that affect that area, the rightmost panel is the Helicon processed focus stack.  These were all shot at f11 with a 55mm lens on a 21mp full frame.

Interesting how little depth of field there is in terms of pixel-level sharpness.  You have to be focused exactly on the subject to get something truly sharp.  BTW the Lightroom Beta raw engine does wonderful things with diffraction correction, on the 55mm lens f11 and now looks as good as f8 used to, and even f16 is highly usable.

Helicon automatically fixes breathing by scaling.  I think it scales up the more distant focus planes to match the scale of the closest.  Scaling will always introduce quality issues, but Helicon handles it extremely well and I feel it's worth it for this kind of work.  Must remember to crop in the viewfinder based on the slightly zoomed-in closest focus position.

Yes very close objects superimposed over very distant objects will result in a halo.  Halos can be corrected with a specialized rubber stamp tool that lets you freely copy from any plane to the result image with the scaling adjusted, but it's tedious.  The user interface offers two parameter sliders that can be adjusted to find the best compromise in halo situations.

The stamp also works well on wind generated artifacts between branches and sky which are easy fix.

However for subtly incremental focus planes on grasses and such, no halos appear.  And for the most part looking through openings in foliage to slightly more distance foliage works out fine.

Focus stacking opens all kinds of landscape possibilities.  After 5 years of meticulously avoiding foreground objects closer than 20 feet it feels very liberating to finally be able to make that kind of shot.

[attachment=21672:Tondreau...blend_01.jpg]

solardarkroom.com

• http://www.solardarkroom.com
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2010, 01:20:36 pm »

Bill,

Thanks for a very thorough report on this suite of tools. I'm especially interested in your comments regarding diffraction in LR3. I had not considered this and have heard no mention of it elsewhere. I've been holding off at f11 in my macro work which includes a lot of hi frequency detail.

Your landscapes are wonderful and would make anyone want to vistit NM.

Cheers,

David  

FWIW I've attached some crops from the lower left of the original, 50% pixel reduction, 60% quality.  It shows the three focus planes that affect that area, the rightmost panel is the Helicon processed focus stack.  These were all shot at f11 with a 55mm lens on a 21mp full frame.

Interesting how little depth of field there is in terms of pixel-level sharpness.  You have to be focused exactly on the subject to get something truly sharp.  BTW the Lightroom Beta raw engine does wonderful things with diffraction correction, on the 55mm lens f11 and now looks as good as f8 used to, and even f16 is highly usable.

Helicon automatically fixes breathing by scaling.  I think it scales up the more distant focus planes to match the scale of the closest.  Scaling will always introduce quality issues, but Helicon handles it extremely well and I feel it's worth it for this kind of work.  Must remember to crop in the viewfinder based on the slightly zoomed-in closest focus position.

Yes very close objects superimposed over very distant objects will result in a halo.  Halos can be corrected with a specialized rubber stamp tool that lets you freely copy from any plane to the result image with the scaling adjusted, but it's tedious.  The user interface offers two parameter sliders that can be adjusted to find the best compromise in halo situations.

The stamp also works well on wind generated artifacts between branches and sky which are easy fix.

However for subtly incremental focus planes on grasses and such, no halos appear.  And for the most part looking through openings in foliage to slightly more distance foliage works out fine.

Focus stacking opens all kinds of landscape possibilities.  After 5 years of meticulously avoiding foreground objects closer than 20 feet it feels very liberating to finally be able to make that kind of shot.

[attachment=21672:Tondreau...blend_01.jpg]

bill t.

« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2010, 05:13:21 pm »

I don't think there is a specific correction aimed at diffraction per se, but there seems to be some sort of heuristics going on with the LR3 2010 process that fishes out detail in a way that is not necessarily linked to the amount of sharpening.  One of the side effects is that diffraction mush is minimized.  I have not had time to check, but I'm not sure that ACR 6.0 has the same feature.
Pages: [1]   Go Up