Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: where does it fit?  (Read 14130 times)

fredjeang

where does it fit?
« Reply #40 on: April 30, 2010, 04:36:10 am »

Quote from: Rob C
Thanks for the info: now I am sure of even less than I was before!

;-)

Rob C
That's why we liked the corrosion issues with our alfasud  
My Parents who are living in France bought a new car. My father showed me this summer the engine laughing: it's sealed, you can not do the mechanic yourself. Clean, nicely designed but you actually do not know what's inside. You need the special tools.
I had several times resolve some issues with the boxer. No problem.
I've been reparing some vintage prime lenses with 100% success, tried one day with a modern zoom and turned into strong headache and days of fighting.

Driving the alfa convertible with an hassy or a Leica on the back seat...that was fun! Maybe watching again some early Bonds.

Ahhh Rob, I think I'm going to beleive you when you talk about golden age.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2010, 04:38:41 am by fredjeang »

Ray

where does it fit?
« Reply #41 on: April 30, 2010, 08:44:53 pm »

Quote from: fredjeang
Driving the alfa convertible with an hassy or a Leica on the back seat...that was fun! Maybe watching again some early Bonds.

Surely the amount of fun would depend on the characteristics of the attractive, busty, young lady occupying the front passenger seat   .

Rob C

where does it fit?
« Reply #42 on: May 01, 2010, 04:52:18 am »

Quote from: Ray
Surely the amount of fun would depend on the characteristics of the attractive, busty, young lady occupying the front passenger seat   .

i

Ray, I am writing this on a tiny notebook thinggy designed for gnomes; my tower has gone awol as far as internet is concerned, and this happened straight after downloading a huge Microsoft update for Vista. The writing is so tiny that I can hardly see it, and commas and stops look identical. Whether or not the internet problem was caused by this download or by Weebly I cannot say, but trying to set up my website with them caused a lot of grief, and in the end, before I pulled the plug on it, I couldn't even open the damn thing myself either on Google or Yahoo. This may have been the fault of my computer - it may all be connected - but I am not a happy camper. It can't be the ADSL connection because it works with this micro unit.

Driving with the busty bird? All I can think of is Chuck Berry: No particular Place to Go.

Rob C  

fredjeang

where does it fit?
« Reply #43 on: May 01, 2010, 07:12:43 am »

i

Ray, I am writing this on a tiny notebook thinggy designed for gnomes; my tower has gone awol as far as internet is concerned, and this happened straight after downloading a huge Microsoft update for Vista. The writing is so tiny that I can hardly see it, and commas and stops look identical. Whether or not the internet problem was caused by this download or by Weebly I cannot say, but trying to set up my website with them caused a lot of grief, and in the end, before I pulled the plug on it, I couldn't even open the damn thing myself either on Google or Yahoo. This may have been the fault of my computer - it may all be connected - but I am not a happy camper. It can't be the ADSL connection because it works with this micro unit.

Driving with the busty bird? All I can think of is Chuck Berry: No particular Place to Go.

Rob C
Hi Rob,
Weebly can not be the cause. Try this:
Find an apple sofware call "bonjour". Desactivate the software. Reinitiate. It should work. This apple little sofware is causing problems on latest windows with internet conection. Specially on windows 7.
Or, use the tool : restore the system to a previous state, before you made the download.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2010, 07:14:00 am by fredjeang »

Ray

where does it fit?
« Reply #44 on: May 01, 2010, 10:23:08 pm »

Rob,
Maybe it would be best to give up the computer and go for the busty woman.  

Aw! Shucks! How sad! Already past it, eh!  

Rob C

where does it fit?
« Reply #45 on: May 03, 2010, 07:08:21 am »

Hi folks

I have tried the 'restore to previous date' technique, but it make no difference at all; the computer is now awaiting delivery to the repair man, but it is pouring and impossible to park near the shop. If it dries up later, I shall brave the elements and try then.

Worse, I have been working on the other computer - the one I keep for photography - and it now takes ages to clone/spot. I have been trying out a different idea for Weebly and once the other (internet) computer is fixed I shall try to implement it, but if I am going to be faced with a second machine going nuts, perhaps I had better take Ray's advice and give up!

This tiny machine is okay for reading books, but not for writing anything: for a start, even with specs I can hardly see the tiny markings on the non-letters keys - you might get an apostrophe as easily as a colon or semi! I did update its security this morning, but I still feel uneasy risking the web on it - it looks so vulnerable, poor little thing.

Happy days!

Rob C

Ray

where does it fit?
« Reply #46 on: May 04, 2010, 07:34:47 pm »

Rob,
Computers are cheap nowadays. I find I always have more computers than I need even though I tend to give away the older and slower models to whomever needs them.

A few months ago I bought a new computer (without monitor) from the ALDI food supermarket simply because it was so cheap, about half the price (or less) than a similarly spec'd Dell model. I was curious about the benefits of Windows 7. If it breaks down because it's so cheap, no big deal. Intel core duo processor, 4Gb RAM, 1TB hard drive, all for around US$700. It was irresistible.

Rob C

where does it fit?
« Reply #47 on: May 05, 2010, 03:57:11 am »

Rob,
Computers are cheap nowadays. I find I always have more computers than I need even though I tend to give away the older and slower models to whomever needs them.

A few months ago I bought a new computer (without monitor) from the ALDI food supermarket simply because it was so cheap, about half the price (or less) than a similarly spec'd Dell model. I was curious about the benefits of Windows 7. If it breaks down because it's so cheap, no big deal. Intel core duo processor, 4Gb RAM, 1TB hard drive, all for around US$700. It was irresistible.

Hi Ray

The internet computer I managed to fix by taking Fred's advice and looking to delete something within the download I made from Microsoft, which was made more or less the day or the day before my problem hit. I took out the whole piece of rubbish and now I am back on the internet as before.

The other computer, the photography one, was fixed by using a programme I had forgotten about: CClean. It sped everything back up to normal.

Sadly, I also find US$ 700 irresistible: I can't bear to part with them!

Rob C

Christoph C. Feldhaim

• There is no rule! No - wait ...
where does it fit?
« Reply #48 on: May 05, 2010, 04:31:15 am »

/me pets his Mamiya Super 23, looks proudly at a bunch of self repaired lenses and central shutters and seeing his scanned 100+ Megapixel files wonders about how much money he saved doing all this ....

P.S: I love my 17 year old Mercedes diesel station wagon ....

Ray

where does it fit?
« Reply #49 on: May 05, 2010, 06:18:46 am »

Hi Ray

The internet computer I managed to fix by taking Fred's advice and looking to delete something within the download I made from Microsoft, which was made more or less the day or the day before my problem hit. I took out the whole piece of rubbish and now I am back on the internet as before.

The other computer, the photography one, was fixed by using a programme I had forgotten about: CClean. It sped everything back up to normal.

Sadly, I also find US$ 700 irresistible: I can't bear to part with them!

Rob C

Gad you fixed the problem. However, you're eventually going to part with your $700 and more. You can't take it with you. If you don't spend it, someone else will. Of course, you may prefer it to be spent on a better cause than another computer. Fair enough!

fredjeang

where does it fit?
« Reply #50 on: May 05, 2010, 06:34:56 am »

Gad you fixed the problem. However, you're eventually going to part with your $700 and more. You can't take it with you. If you don't spend it, someone else will. Of course, you may prefer it to be spent on a better cause than another computer. Fair enough!
Ray, I wish Leica had such an agressive price politic from time to time.
They just released the Vlux 20, an expensive clone of the Panasonic, with even worse video quality...

An M9 in a supermarket for 2000 euros??  I sign today!

Rob C

where does it fit?
« Reply #51 on: May 05, 2010, 11:25:48 am »

Quote from: ChristophC
/me pets his Mamiya Super 23, looks proudly at a bunch of self repaired lenses and central shutters and seeing his scanned 100+ Megapixel files wonders about how much money he saved doing all this ....

P.S: I love my 17 year old Mercedes diesel station wagon ....

Chris - I sympathise with your affection for things old and reliable; I think of myself in that light too. I don't have a seventeen year-old Mercedes of any type, but I do have an eleven/twelve year-old Ford and it is now a matter of which of the two of us rusts away first; the Ford is losing its paint as quickly as I my hair, which isn't quite as fast now since I trapped it in a ponytail (thin).

I share Fred's wish for a reasonably priced M9 - doesn't the world? I'd even part with those 700 bucks for one.

I wonder if one can fit new memories into people? I have put new skies into pics of old buildings in the past, but I wanted to merge two separate pics just now - a new one into a grey extra background stuck onto the side of the other image. I have completely forgotten how. So I have downloaded seven pages of info. to refurbish my memory. This is really quite alarming; I wonder if others find these things going on between their ears?

Rob C

Christoph C. Feldhaim

where does it fit?
« Reply #52 on: May 06, 2010, 04:59:48 am »

What concerned me, when I finally decided not to go digital and keep and extend my Mamiya Press system was the influence the tool has on the process of taking pictures along with the question of long term archiving.
Of course - for professionals a fast workflow and other parameters are very important, but for me as an amateur I have the possibility to think beside those constraints.

I have a Canon Powershot G11 for "fast photography" and snapshots, but my photographic identity is definitely more connected to that old Mamiya tank which would make me concern about my foot and not about the camera in case I'd drop it ... And the lenses are superb. I just got a 250 mm f 1:5 for it some days before and the sharpness behavior and bokeh I see from it on the ground glass (I didn't finish a film with it yet) reminds me of the experience i had long ago, when I was looking through a Zeiss binocular for the first time.

I strongly believe, that somehow digital -despite all its great advantages- will deceive its users on the long run by taking away something crucial I cannot yet define exactly.

I don't think I'm nostalgic - the decision was also an economic one. I think the gear I have now is technically/IQ-wise comparable to systems that would usually cost $50.000+++ - And I paid a very small fraction of that.

Most likely - on the long run I'll try to get a modern Zeiss Ikon (M Mount) for snapshots and street photography and leave my digital Camera only for special purposes, like documenting the disassembly of a shutter or keep it in the car for possible car crash situations ....
« Last Edit: May 06, 2010, 06:01:57 am by ChristophC »

Rob C

where does it fit?
« Reply #53 on: May 07, 2010, 03:45:24 am »

The single greatest threat to your scenario, though, lies outwith your control: the supply and development of film.

Black/white film poses few processing problems - you can (and should) do it yourself, but colour is something else. Before I became an independent shooter I worked in an industrial photo unit for some years and ended up doing the colour lab stuff; it made me realise that there is a great deal that you can do with colour if you are not working within commercial limits!

And that's where it all goes wrong in a non-service kind of environment: labs simply can't afford the luxury of that one, further test... the customer (the photographer) would not pay the real price of the added hours, and so the concept of 'commercially acceptable' was born. And for anyone without a huge through-put of work, pro or amateur, it just doesn't make financial sense to run colour chemistry. Worse, colour sense is something you have to exercise a lot in order not to lose the fine edge; you can get to a mental position where you begin to doubt your own eyes and opinions of what you are seeing - is it magenta or red, cyan or a shade of blue or green? Even when you do it every day you can lose it when you get tired.

But, for b/w, as long as enough people keep on buying the materials there should be hope, even if prices have rocketed.

Rob C
« Last Edit: May 07, 2010, 03:46:03 am by Rob C »

Christoph C. Feldhaim

where does it fit?
« Reply #54 on: May 10, 2010, 03:03:39 am »

The single greatest threat to your scenario, though, lies outwith your control: the supply and development of film.

Black/white film poses few processing problems - you can (and should) do it yourself, but colour is something else. Before I became an independent shooter I worked in an industrial photo unit for some years and ended up doing the colour lab stuff; it made me realise that there is a great deal that you can do with colour if you are not working within commercial limits!

And that's where it all goes wrong in a non-service kind of environment: labs simply can't afford the luxury of that one, further test... the customer (the photographer) would not pay the real price of the added hours, and so the concept of 'commercially acceptable' was born. And for anyone without a huge through-put of work, pro or amateur, it just doesn't make financial sense to run colour chemistry. Worse, colour sense is something you have to exercise a lot in order not to lose the fine edge; you can get to a mental position where you begin to doubt your own eyes and opinions of what you are seeing - is it magenta or red, cyan or a shade of blue or green? Even when you do it every day you can lose it when you get tired.

But, for b/w, as long as enough people keep on buying the materials there should be hope, even if prices have rocketed.

Rob C

Thats why I was stressing my freedom as an amateur NOT to obey the constraints of the pros ....
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up